• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any Panthers card collectors out there? Mail Day!

4 minutes ago, FugginPoo said:

Any idea the most valuable panther card?

Hard to say exactly because the card market fluctuates so much and ultimately a card is only worth what someone will pay for it or what someone has recently paid for it and there is a lot of sentimental value in cards for some folks. If I had to guess? Probably a Cam RPA (rookie patch autograph) that is numbered low (few produced) from a high end product like National Treasures. Some Steve Smith rookies are quite expensive these days as well.  

11 minutes ago, FugginPoo said:

Any idea the most valuable panther card?

Could be a 2011 Topps Chrome Cam Newton Superfractor. Essentially a 1/1 Cam rookie card from a great product. I personally haven’t seen it or seen it for sale but imagine that would be the priciest Cam/Panther card in existence. There’s the possibility that it is still in a sealed pack sitting in a sealed case somewhere… I have no idea if it has been pulled or not. 

UPDATE* looks like the pictured 1/1 rookie was pulled in 2011 so it’s in circulation and had been previously sold probably around $20K based on the article. 

BE1A37D2-A6AA-4D25-B8F9-2916A190AE47.jpeg

Edited by OnlyPantherFaninMaine
  • Pie 1

Old man rant! Back in my day there was just one set. You could either try and get em all via wax packs and boxes ... or just buy the factory set. Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Score, Bowman, etc. Now there is that (called the base set), 3-4 versions of said base set (limited), special cards, 3-4 versions of the special cards, autograph cards, 3-4 versions of the autograph card, chrome cards, tin cards, jersey cards, 1/1 cards, and more. It's insane and unless you're a millionaire, impossible to get the ENTIRE set of a given company for a given year.

How much did that 1/1 Burns set you back, Maine?

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Old man rant! Back in my day there was just one set. You could either try and get em all via wax packs and boxes ... or just buy the factory set. Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Score, Bowman, etc. Now there is that (called the base set), 3-4 versions of said base set (limited), special cards, 3-4 versions of the special cards, autograph cards, 3-4 versions of the autograph card, chrome cards, tin cards, jersey cards, 1/1 cards, and more. It's insane and unless you're a millionaire, impossible to get the ENTIRE set of a given company for a given year.

I hear that man - the hobby as a whole is insanely expensive right now. It peaked during Covid years but still very expensive to buy boxes from Panini directly and boxes are still tough to find sitting on shelves. 

I paid $250 for this Burns, not exactly a cheap steal but felt fair given the Auto, player, and that it’s a 1/1. I plan to enjoy it for a while… may grade it just to have in a protected slab and then I’ll see what happens with his contract to determine if I’ll let it go or not. 

1 minute ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

I hear that man - the hobby as a whole is insanely expensive right now. It peaked during Covid years but still very expensive to buy boxes from Panini directly and boxes are still tough to find sitting on shelves. 

I paid $250 for this Burns, not exactly a cheap steal but felt fair given the Auto, player, and that it’s a 1/1. I plan to enjoy it for a while… may grade it just to have in a protected slab and then I’ll see what happens with his contract to determine if I’ll let it go or not. 

I think it’s fairly obvious part of the market is being used for money laundering

4 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I still got around 20k NBA,NFL,MLB cards around. Big Shaq was my goto, got all his rookie cards except "magic all-star" one. Few others at one point were worth close to few bucks. Stopped when females became my new collectible, should have stuck with cards even with the piss-poor market. Got most in the 90s, hate that they are "worthless" now. I worked starting full/part (13 years old), dropping quarters and buying packs was like 90% of where my checks went. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don’t get the current card market.  My kid is sort of into it.   But it just seems like a weird super bubble of nonsense.   

You just describe NFTs.

Brother collecting cards is much safer than million of deals currently in this clown world. 

Maybe get some tips and help him along via this thread. 

Im more numbers than words and that was one of my favorite thing about cards, they had a list of numbers.

11 minutes ago, Basbear said:

You just describe NFTs.

Brother collecting cards is much safer than million of deals currently in this clown world. 

Maybe get some tips and help him along via this thread. 

Im more numbers than words and that was one of my favorite thing about cards, they had a list of numbers.

They seem pretty similar IMO.  Everything is magically super valuable instantly.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

They seem pretty similar IMO.  Everything is magically super valuable instantly.  

My advice is dont let spend too of his $$$ on them, like I did. Plus during my era, there were some cool card shows to go to. Surprise him one day with a trip to one if they are still around.....view it as a hobby and they all cost something. 

Plus dont let him trade cards of big value. I was a 13 years old and neighborhood dad took it upon himself to load me up with older cards that didnt have good corners/ poor graded(right before my time). In the book they were listed at _____ but that was for a perfect mint card. I did have fun trading among friends.