• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT ARTICLE: The Panthers slide squarely into tank mode

WarPanthers89

7 minutes ago, Growl said:

you’re far more optimistic about these middle picks being difference makers than I am, especially given with what current management has done with them so far

Maybe but like I said I’d take the chance of the picks over cmcs age and health over the next couple of years 

we could absolutely fug this up. Draft the wrong qb, draft the wrong weapons, sign the wrong coach but it doesn’t matter if cmc is still on the team cause we’d still suck if that happened lol

1 hour ago, WarPanthers89 said:

It blows. This feels worse than the pickle Clausen season for some reason and I never imagined that would be possible with the talent we have compared to that year 

Always have the hurricanes to watch waiting for next season.

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Wow, people are pouting so hard that they are coming up with conspiracy theories. You get a bunch of picks, the draft is deep at RB, and the team isn't good. What is not to like?

Under a different regime I would be more hopeful. This one....it's very hard. Even in the Marty days we could somewhat bank on him getting the first pick right, which played very well in the Cam draft even though the rest of the draft was trash. This regime...I don't know. I don't know what I can say I can bank on with these guys especially at the QB position...

1 minute ago, firefox1234 said:

Under a different regime I would be more hopeful. This one....it's very hard. Even in the Marty days we could somewhat bank on him getting the first pick right, which played very well in the Cam draft even though the rest of the draft was trash. This regime...I don't know. I don't know what I can say I can bank on with these guys especially at the QB position...

Here is the thing though. Matt Rhule has been our GM for the past three years because he had final roster say. That is why Chuba, PJ, Robbie's extension, Joe Brady's jettisoning of Cam, and all this QB nonsense were things we had to endure. This guy helped build a consistent winner in Seattle, so he deserves a chance. Everything that we have done for the most part goes against his philosophy of stockpiling picks because I believe Rhule was reaching to win now. This had to happen, this regime or next. I have optimism Fitts can make us competitive again. He just has to get these losers that Rhule wanted to implement his brand out of here. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

Same

If you’re doing it you do it 100%

Those two idiots might just mess around one Sunday with the defense coming through and we accidentally win. Then this entire plan goes to sh!t because Detroit and Houston most likely aren’t winning many more if any more games too

People seem to forget that we have won games with PJ at the helm before without CMC, with Matt Rhule as coach.  Let that sink in.

1 hour ago, NorthTryon said:

Wow, people are pouting so hard that they are coming up with conspiracy theories. You get a bunch of picks, the draft is deep at RB, and the team isn't good. What is not to like?

The front office! 😡

I telling you, with the exception of picking a QB in the 1st round (always a contentious subject), I think half of the people on this board would do a better job using those picks to fill in the roster for 2023. We'd take the best player at a position of need on the board when we're on the clock. We wouldn't "trade back for value" and leave a starting prospect on the board for a  lower rated player or select a players in later rounds just for the sake of having extra picks. 

4 hours ago, Scum of the Turf said:

I don’t believe in tanking in the nfl.  Only the nba. 1 player in the draft to be a starter in the nba s 20% of yur starting rotation.  Getting a player in the nfl draft gets u 1/22 starter in the nfl.  It’s more about culture in the nfl.  Winning begats winning , losing begats losing. Tanking in the nfl, especially in wk 7, kills the fans, the players , and the organization .  And makes the owner look worse than he does.  So this better work ! 

I get your point but not all 22 starters are equal.  A franchise QB can immediately elevate the players around him.  Disruptive defensive players can elevate the play of others.  In this way the synergy a high quality player contributes adds up to more than a singular influence.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

The front office! 😡

I telling you, with the exception of picking a QB in the 1st round (always a contentious subject), I think half of the people on this board would do a better job using those picks to fill in the roster for 2023. We'd take the best player at a position of need on the board when we're on the clock. We wouldn't "trade back for value" and leave a starting prospect on the board for a  lower rated player or select a players in later rounds just for the sake of having extra picks. 

I understand where you are coming from as for the duration of this franchise's existence we have got very little outside of the first round. But the caveat is that Rhule had final say over all of the roster decisions during his tenure. This will be the first draft where Fitterer will not have to listen to Rhule wanting ex Temple, Baylor, and guys who fit his "Brand" nonsense. He helped build a consistent winner in Seattle and deserves benefit of the doubt. If he flames out, I am with you. 

7 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

I get your point but not all 22 starters are equal.  A franchise QB can immediately elevate the players around himDisruptive defensive players can elevate the play of others.  In this way the synergy a high quality player contributes adds up to more than a singular influence.

Good point. Unfortunately, too many QB's coming out of college and picked in the first round are not true "franchise quarterbacks". They just happen to be the best of the group coming out in a particular year. The bust rate for first round QB's is quite high.

Same thing with defensive players.  Some guys are solid, but are not so dominant that they make everyone around them better. Shaq Thompson, Derrick Brown, and Vernon Butler were all first round picks. Derrick is showing signs of improvement this season, but so far none of those guy have significantly elevated the play of others when they are on the field.