• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT ARTICLE: The Panthers slide squarely into tank mode

WarPanthers89

Just now, SCO96 said:

Good point. Unfortunately, too many QB's coming out of college and picked in the first round are not true "franchise quarterbacks". They just happen to be the best of the group coming out in a particular year. The bust rate for first round QB's is quite high.

Same thing with defensive players.  Some guys are solid, but are not so dominant that they make everyone around them better. Shaq Thompson, Derrick Brown, and Vernon Butler were all first round picks. Derrick is showing signs of improvement this season, but so far none of those guy have significantly elevated the play of others when they are on the field.

Yeah, I'm in no way saying that we're a lock to benefit from this process.  In fact, I'd agree the odds aren't all that favorable.  Simply saying that when you do hit a single player can count for more than 1, in fact quite a bit more than 1.  The Panthers are clearly trying to give themselves the best chance to get the best player next year.  If we hit on coaching and draft it opens a fairly large window, if we miss then we're the Browns/Jets/Jaguars of the last decade.

38 minutes ago, poundaway said:

People seem to forget that we have won games with PJ at the helm before without CMC, with Matt Rhule as coach.  Let that sink in.

It was one game, against The lions who were actively quitting on Matt Patricia, so much that he was fired 5 days later. 

1 minute ago, X-Clown said:

It was one game, against The lions who were actively quitting on Matt Patricia, so much that he was fired 5 days later. 

Matt Patricia went to Detroit from the Patriots with the reputation of being a solid defensive coordinator.  If a defensive coordinator gets shut out 20-0 by a PJ Walker-helmed team with Matt Stafford as his quarterback, does he really deserve a head coaching job? 

• Flames 1

The scary part of all this is we could literally win the NFC South because the rest of the division is so bad.  
Especially if Tampa comes in and plays like they did against Pittsburgh.  New Orleans and Atlanta both do not have a QB1 and are in as bad of shape as Carolina at the position.  Now that CMC is gone the ball will have to be spread out and that actually makes the Panthers more dangerous for opposing defenses.  They can't simply contain CMC, so the ball will be spread around.  If Carolina wins all 6 games against the NFC South and picks up 2 more games along the way, we will be the worst NFL Division winner in the history of the NFL.

I really hope Carolina follows through on the big tank and trades every player that isn't a part of the core defense and under 26.  DJ Moore deserves the same opportunity "loud mouth" Anderson is getting.  Hopefully they will do a CMC type "friendly trade" for DJ.

5 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Same. He’s got all the boxes checked he just sucks still lol. Would be nice to see if he’s worth keeping around with corral and our draft pick tho. Pj is done here after this year.

I'm cool with starting him the rest of the way.  No lie.  He might have a place on this team next year. 

Baker, Sam, and PJ do not.

Upside is we develop another QB along with Corral and whoever we draft.  There is no downside b/c if he sucks, we get a better pick and dump him, too.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I'm cool with starting him the rest of the way.  No lie.  He might have a place on this team next year. 

Baker, Sam, and PJ do not.

Upside is we develop another QB along with Corral and whoever we draft.  There is no downside b/c if he sucks, we get a better pick and dump him, too.

I said this last week. We know Baker and PJ won't be back in 2023. I wouldn't mind seeing what Sam could do with the improved O-line this season, but now with Robbie and Christian gone he probably needs to move on as well. As you pointed out, Eison could possibly develop into a viable back up/spot starter until a rookie develops. Eleven games is enough time gain experience and prove himself to coaching staff and personnel guys around the league.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, jtm said:

Tanking is such a loser mentality. I hate it 

This is where people get it wrong. It’s a sacrifice for a long term, winning strategy. That’s a winner’s mentality. Ever play chess?

Cause sounds like you’re over there playing checkers with TB, Darnold, and Baker thinking that’s a winner’s mentality.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

So if baker plays again then we lose a 4th rounder?? Might as well keep him home at this point. 

The forth becomes a fifth if he takes less than 70% of the snaps.  I wouldn’t play him again

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, onmyown said:

This is where people get it wrong. It’s a sacrifice for a long term, winning strategy. That’s a winner’s mentality. Ever play chess?

Cause sounds like you’re over there playing checkers with TB, Darnold, and Baker thinking that’s a winner’s mentality.

The retread thing can work in a given year, but the only teams that are consistently good over a 10+ year period have franchise QB's.  There's no getting around that.

The team is making the right move.  Unfortunately, it just adds to the overwhelming misery that has been the past 5 years.

I just hope this works

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

It blows. This feels worse than the pickle Clausen season for some reason and I never imagined that would be possible with the talent we have compared to that year 

And it doesn't work in the NFL and Mayfield and Darnold are two perfect examples.  Can you imagine giving up to be rewarded with Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold when they were drafted as the saviors for the Jets and Browns.  

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

It doesn't work in the NFL because teams miss all the time with the #1 pick and Mayfield and Darnold are perfect examples.  Can you imagine being a highly paid professional athlete and being asked to roll over for some amateur to come save the day.  

I played sports on a full ride in college and clearly you haven't played sports or not at a high level.  I'll say it again . . . tanking is a loser mentality.  

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, jtm said:

It doesn't work in the NFL because teams miss all the time with the #1 pick and Mayfield and Darnold are perfect examples.  Can you imagine being a highly paid professional athlete and being asked to roll over for some amateur to come save the day.  

I played sports on a full ride in college and clearly you haven't played sports or not at a high level.  I'll say it again . . . tanking is a loser mentality.  

Did you enjoy the Cam era? Because that was a tank. I’m sure the Colts also enjoyed the Luck era, yet another result of a tank.

No it doesn’t always work, you do need competent people and FO personnel making these decisions.

No one is asking professional athletes to roll over. They will still be asked to do their job. But this isn’t pee wee football, the NFL has bigger picture and long term values.

What does a moral victory give you? Would you rather have a franchise QB or the win over Saints third stringers in 2018? A losing mentality for tanking a year isn’t a disease. Trying to win and failing year and year is. Big difference. Absolutely not one player next year with a new coach and stroud are the helm is going to remember tanking in 2022 and give two shits.

5 hours ago, Kentucky Panther said:

Nobody, but nobody also wants to watch us do the exact same crap next season with an atrocious offense and QB. A high draft pick gives us hope for next year. What does going 5 - 12 do for us? 4 - 13? Other than allow us to possibly miss out on the QB we want. 

The season is completely lost already. People don’t have your mindset unless they still have hope for this year. There is none. 

The Giants offense has almost no one at WR and they have Saquan. Our version of CMC. They are winning games with less offensive talent than we have(had). Coaching matters. Culture matters. Daniel Jones is actually looking like a QB. I don't give a poo if we have all top 10 picks in next year's draft. If we don't get the leadership right in this organization, we're on a fast train to Shitsville. 

• Pie 1