• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offers for Burns

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

A new deal for Burns would be a cap burden for years to come.  This is just making more and more sense to me. We already seen the reports that a team (probably Philly) was willing to deal the two firsts. Two things we desperately need going into next year is cap room and to stockpile draft picks.  Dealing Burns provides both of those in not a little, but in a MAJOR way.

Burns plays a position that teams are very happy to manage their cap around.  Also we are probably going to be in a position to have the nice rookie QB contract set up which allows teams to front load deals and better fit in bigger contracts for players at premier positions.

here is how you need to look at it:

Half of the first rounders bust.

2/3 of the second rounders bust.

For Burns, I would need 2 first rounders (Eagles) and additional picks (Chiefs).  Forget the Rams--they don't have any first round picks until 2035 or something--but the Eagles are in position to make an aggressive move

The Chiefs could surrender a first in 2023 and 2024 and they also have about 11 more 2023 picks--two third rounders.  I would take the third rounders in 2023 and the two first rounders.

The Eagles have the Saints first rounder in 2023 and what will likely be a pick around #30.  If the Panthers get the Saints pick (likely a top 10 pick) then I would consider taking both picks or the Saint's pick and a bunch of other picks.

Just now, WUnderhill said:

I seriously doubt the Eagles are offering the Saints pick in any trade package. As of right now that is the #5 overall pick.

Yeah I imagine we are trying to get the saints pick included and its their this year and next year first at best.  As a burns supporter you definitely jump if its the saints pick plus another first, no questions asked.

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Saying it doesn’t mean poo honestly. CMC isn’t worth anything. See it’s dumb and pointless. Show some actual data why a 26 year who is the top 10 in sacks over the past 3 years isn’t worth anything. Why did a team offer 2 firsts for a player not worth anything? 

Because there are only a couple great 5 techniques in the league right now and if I throw him in with the 7 techniques?

So the overall pool is down. It's easy to be tallest midget. 

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Saying it doesn’t mean poo honestly. CMC isn’t worth anything. See it’s dumb and pointless. Show some actual data why a 26 year who is the top 10 in sacks over the past 3 years isn’t worth anything. Why did a team offer 2 firsts for a player not worth anything? 

Burns is a very good IMO. But he's yet to reach double digit sacks in a single season. I don't think he's worth top DE money. And that's exactly what he'll demand. 

• Pie 3

Just now, La Pantera said:

Burns is a very good IMO. But he's yet to reach double digit sacks in a single season. I don't think he's worth top DE money. And that's exactly what he'll demand. 

Agreed.  He was outshined by Hassan Reddick last season.  I think it's a bit sensational to say the guy is a JAG or whatnot.  He is a good player.  But is he worth a contract that warrants building the team around him?  Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

Burns plays a position that teams are very happy to manage their cap around.  Also we are probably going to be in a position to have the nice rookie QB contract set up which allows teams to front load deals and better fit in bigger contracts for players at premier positions.

But if we deal Burns we can get TWO (at minimum) players on rookie deals.  I like Burns, but he's no Reggie White.  He's a good pass rusher, but I wouldn't put him in the elite category.  If Burns was elite, then not even two players could replace him.  I understand the cap guru's play with the numbers to find a way to keep guys on the roster even when the cap is tight and for the long term.

Simply put if the best and final offer for Burns Fitts received was only a first and nothing else, I wouldn't be arguing this point.  Burns would stay.  It would be swapping a former first for a current first without the experience.  Nabbing TWO impact players (at minimum) and only losing one just makes too much sense.

• Pie 2

32 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Man, I hope Fitts is holding on for the pot to sweeten a bit.  If we can land two first and like a third?  At that point Burns would have to go.  We'd have THREE firsts, TWO seconds, TWO thirds.  That's SEVEN picks in the first 3 rounds.  It would almost be stupid not to ship Burns at that point. 

What makes you think both firsts for Burns would be in this coming draft? Isn’t there only 1 or 2 teams with multiple firsts this year? Texans and Eagles?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Also just thinking backwards, when has Burns really made a big difference in a game?  Can you think of a time when he's terrorized anyone like Myles Garrett terrorized Baker?  I feel like Derrick Brown already has more notches in his belt for that.

I've never seen him make a game saving play. 

I've seen several times where we just needed a sack at the end of the game to win and Burns get close, not bring the guy down and then they get a first down or score.

Big time players make big plays in crucial situations. 

He's not dominant. 

There are tons of guys I'd rather have.