• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

There's a lot of people saying picking number one doesn't mean much...

Mol3m4n

Nothing wrong with having the number one pick as it does give you tons of options leading up & into the draft. Just don’t want to have to tank to get there. I want to see this team continue to fight & improve the rest of the season. 

If we end up with the number 1, I would like to trade out of the first hoping to fleece another team.  There is a lot of pressure getting the first overall pick exactly right. He has to be that guy no questions asked. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, WeDoNotTank said:

Not true, they could have taken Von Miller AJ Green plenty of others that QB class was super weak after Cam.....

This team has never truly escaped mediocrity no back to back winning seasons and no super bowl championships.

On Super Bowl Sunday the #2 picked PWNED our #1 pick.

2 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

So people who disagree just aren’t knowledgeable. Sweet. 

The Browns got their guy a few years back. Now he’s on our team, while two MVP caliber QB’s went after him. 

It’s just not that simple, and tanking in the NFL isn’t the same as the NBA, where #1 truly matters. 

all draft classes arent created equal. just just because every number 1 pick doesnt always becomr a superstar doesnt mran you shouldnt eant the number 1 pick? if you get first pick out of 2000 different girls should you not want first choice because some marriages didnt workout in the past? 

Get the guy YOU want and live with the consequences.. stop hoping for teams to leave you leftovers.

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gotta say, if you watched that locker room video and you believe Steve Wilks or any of his players are entertaining thoughts of tanking, you should probably watch again.

I don’t doubt it that the players want to win. That they don’t care about getting the top pick.
But if we play ourselves out of a QB it will be the same sad song and dance that has been happening the last 3 off-season. 
People say we can trade up but really does anyone believe we will? I don’t. 

3 hours ago, WeDoNotTank said:

Not true, they could have taken Von Miller AJ Green plenty of others that QB class was super weak after Cam.....

This team has never truly escaped mediocrity no back to back winning seasons and no super bowl championships.

Cam was fun to watch. I loved seeing him win MVP and still wonder what could have been had he stayed healthy. That said, we had 3 winning seasons with Cam and a fourth playoff season with a 7-8-1 record.

Picking #1 or #2 doesn't mean you're getting the best QB in that years draft class, or even a good QB. Two QBs went ahead of Josh Allen in his draft class...and we have them both on our roster (Baker and Sam). Five QBs went ahead of Lamar Jackson the same years. Allen is the only one who has distinguished himself and I'm not even sure if one of them, Josh Rosen, is even still in the league.

A young/rookie QB needs a good coaching a sound O-line, good skill players, and a scheme tailored to what he does best. If a rookie gets all the above, then his chances of success will be pretty good, no matter where he ends up or what spot  he's selected in the draft. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I don’t doubt it that the players want to win. That they don’t care about getting the top pick.
But if we play ourselves out of a QB it will be the same sad song and dance that has been happening the last 3 off-season. 
People say we can trade up but really does anyone believe we will? I don’t. 

Going back to 1970 there have only been 3 QBs taken #1 that have won a Super Bowl for the team that drafted them.  Which means every other Super Bowl was won by a QB who wasn't the #1 overall pick, or he was the #1 overall pick but won it with a different team than the one that drafted him (like Baker Mayfield).

Of those guys I would say that Terry Bradshaw is the gold standard.  He only played for the Steelers and there isn't much about his situation that is unusual.  The next guy is Troy Aikman.  What's interesting about Troy is that the Cowboys had so much draft capital from the Herschel Walker trade that they used TWO 1st round picks on QB that year (the other was Steve Walsh).  Peyton Manning is the other guy, and he is what everybody wants.  A guy that comes in and single handedly changes everything about the franchise.  However, it must be said that Peyton also won a Super Bowl with a team that didn't have to tank and get the #1 overall pick to acquire him. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Going back to 1970 there have only been 3 QBs taken #1 that have won a Super Bowl for the team that drafted them.  Which means every other Super Bowl was won by a QB who wasn't the #1 overall pick, or he was the #1 overall pick but won it with a different team than the one that drafted him (like Baker Mayfield).

Of those guys I would say that Terry Bradshaw is the gold standard.  He only played for the Steelers and there isn't much about his situation that is unusual.  The next guy is Troy Aikman.  What's interesting about Troy is that the Cowboys had so much draft capital from the Herschel Walker trade that they used TWO 1st round picks on QB that year (the other was Steve Walsh).  Peyton Manning is the other guy, and he is what everybody wants.  A guy that comes in and single handedly changes everything about the franchise.  However, it must be said that Peyton also won a Super Bowl with a team that didn't have to tank and get the #1 overall pick to acquire him. 

I brought this up last week.

Matt Stafford was drafted #1 overall by the Lions. He failed to win a playoff game in Detroit. He had to go to a stacked Rams team in order to win a Super Bowl. Stafford's biggest division rival prior to the trade was Aaron Rodgers, who was the 24th pick in his draft class. That same year Alex Smith went #1 overall. We all know who turned to be the better QB.

Edited by SCO96