• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions: if Wilks does a good job...

Jmac

5-6 more wins? No thanks. Delaying the inevitable rebuild is literally putting this franchise in purgatory. The worst stretch in almost 30 years of existence. Why the hell would you keep doing the same fuging poo and rolling over coaches and Fit?

It’s not ordinary because it doesn’t work. This franchise isn’t special. We desperately need a reset. And the best man for the job aren’t people already here, that is asinine.

10 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

I'd be happy with him as defensive coordinator but don't want him as head coach. I can't stand the conservative game management. He doesn't play to win. That works if the other team beats themselves, but you're not going to consistently win that way and you're going to gradually undermine your team's confidence. I think we're just seeing how historically terrible Rhule was that Wilks' basic competence looks so good. But we can do better.

We had the lead and all the momentum no reason to risk that. Also, he's playing the 4th string QB who he didn't draft, sign, or scout so I don't hate him for playing it safe especially when he knows he needs to win in order to have a chance at the job. 

No way.  He's too conservative for a league like this.  He's just like Rivera.  We seen that play out here, and we have seen it play out in Washington, and it hasn't went well.  I get it, it is a feel good story being a local guy but that doesn't get you to the playoffs.

I would not hate if we hired him.. I don't see how it can happen though.. Surely we aren't going to keep McAdoo.  Then we have to find an OC (again) and all that.  I like having Wilks around.  Ideally, he and Holcomb will be here next season in some capacity but I'm not sure how that works.

12 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

People in here stating it would take a couple of playoff wins.... If Wilks gets a single playoff win with this roster... it is a no brainer to keep him. 

Even just qualifying for the playoffs might satisfy the "incredible job" requirement.

With head coaching candidates, I always look at what kind of staff they might build. Haven't looked at Wilks' work history, he could actually build a decent one. And I don't necessarily think he'd have to turn over the entire group to do so.

10 hours ago, methodtoll said:

The question I have is who Wilks would bring in to replace Macadoo if he is named permanent HC?

Looking at his history, a couple of possible names would be Freddie Kitchens and our old buddy Rob Chudzinski.

But I also have to wonder, if McAdoo does actually do a good enough job to help us win games, are we certain that Wilks replaces him?

I mean heck, this past Sunday's offensive game plan didn't look bad at all.

11 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I like Coach Wilks a lot   He’s a football coach’s coach 

He isn’t the shiny new toy Tepper craves though   He is old school 

let’s see how does first 

but if he does well, keeping him, Al, Campen and Tabor would really be great. Just a decent OC. 

Just now, Stuart Smith said:

I agree. There is a lot of football to be played yet, we will see how it plays out. However, I agree with you about Campen and Chris Tabor. They have made a positive difference. I do hate to think about losing them with a coaching change. I think this next game with Atlanta may tell us a lot. 

11 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I like Coach Wilks a lot   He’s a football coach’s coach 

He isn’t the shiny new toy Tepper craves though   He is old school 

let’s see how does first 

but if he does well, keeping him, Al, Campen and Tabor would really be great. Just a decent OC. 

Extremely likable guy, and has always come off as a real leader.

Looking at the staff, Holcomb and Don Johnson were both part of his staff in Arizona so I'd expect them to stay. Also think we'd likely keep Campen (and Kugler), Tabor, maybe even Ben McAdoo if he does well between now and the end of the season.

Other "maybes" I could see possibly staying include Sean Ryan Jeff Nixon, Kevin M Gilbride and Paul Pasqualoni.

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Extremely likable guy, and has always come off as a real leader.

Looking at the staff, Holcomb and Don Johnson were both part of his staff in Arizona so I'd expect them to stay. Also think we'd likely keep Campen (and Kugler), Tabor, maybe even Ben McAdoo if he does well between now and the end of the season.

Other "maybes" I could see possibly staying include Sean Ryan Jeff Nixon, Kevin M Gilbride and Paul Pasqualoni.

It’s great to have a little hope and i really like Coach Wilks a lot   So happy for him 

However, of course, the wins have to come and we both know Tepper does like his shiny new toys 

my feeling, no reason he can’t succeed, just have to see how he does as season plays out particularly against better teams I.e. (against Bengals, Ravens et Al )

what did you make of Tepper and his actions in the locker room ? 

Edited by raleigh-panther