• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Finding a QB is hard

Martin

Just now, thennek said:

How much money did Rhule make from Tepper?  Wow...just wow.  To be that bad at your job and make that much money is insane.

Yeah. I think most of us would probably like to be in that role.

I'm sure I could be terrible at something in return for millions of dollars.

5 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

A good QB is not hard to find.

SEVERAL good QBs are one good coach away

You want a good QB? Then find a good coach.

Bill Walsh knew how to spot them and understood how to develop them quickly. Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Sean Payton, Joe Gibbs, the Harbaughs, and McVay to start with a few will never have trouble finding a QB.

You only need a QB with average athletic instinct and average intellect/intuition to form an NFL great.

Walsh developed Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, and Steve Young. All done in a single season of preparation for them. 3 of them converged in a single conference championship weekend. The preparation by Walsh took years to spot these QBs in a single afternoon and develop the QB and a system for them in 1 season.

Spotting an NFL championsip QB is not hard at all if you learn how to do it. I see too many make the mistake of running with the top college QBs thinking it is easier to take a top college QB and coach them up for the NFL.

I wanted Brian Griese and Tom Brady coming out of Michigan as franchise starters. Outside of a miracle to get Peyton Manning in 1998, these are the first 2 QBs I was willing to see the Panthers draft. Hard pass on drafting a QB from 1995 to 1997.

It's not hard if you know what to look for in a QB. Patience in the time it takes to spot a QB is the hardest part. Could take 3 to 5 drafts before you see another one (1 to 2 if you are lucky).

It's not hard. You just haven't put the time in to figure it out.

Good coaches are even harder to find.

57 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

IMO, the people that made that decision are gone.  Rhule made the decision to bring Darnold in, and it was up to Fitterer to figure out how to get him. 

Matt Rhule on why Panthers didn't pick QB in draft: 'I just believe in Sam [Darnold]' (nfl.com)

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47tcpxb7a91oiy4bawua

I have not read a single report anywhere that says Fit was against any of the moves he made.  In fact his statements, Panthers Confidential and other reporting state the exact opposite.

Rhule chose Fitterer, not the other way around.

20 minutes ago, poundaway said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47tcpxb7a91oiy4bawua

I have not read a single report anywhere that says Fit was against any of the moves he made.  In fact his statements, Panthers Confidential and other reporting state the exact opposite.

Rhule chose Fitterer, not the other way around.

Nor would you.

That's called being professional.

GMs and their scouts need to weed through the hype and get down to what really makes a good QB. So many talking heads talk up these players because they have a good college career with a great college. 

The GM has to find that QB with the traits that aren't coachable and traits that are coachable.

There have been several QBs that are in the HOF that weren't first round QBs.  While it is nice to land one it doesn't guarantee he's going to be the answer you're looking for. 

1 hour ago, SuperBowlBound said:

I.E. the 2021 class that all the Twitter & draft pundit experts deemed as "can't miss."

I got poo'd for that too. There are 2 QBs that are the best in the 2021 class and they are still on the street I believe. They are better than PJ and anything the Panthers thought they had in Baker and Darnold.

I like many more of these low round and undrafted QBs than the 1st round QBs being passed around in the NFL like they can be something they were not in their first 3 seasons.

Buechele, Rypien, Rush, Walker, Ehlinger...

5 hours ago, Krovvy said:

They tanked, trading Jamal Adams and it's paying off. After years of mediocrity, they finally got out of it.

They have built a roster over the last couple of years, no doubt. Not sure if they were tanking or just incompetent to be honest. But they have not solved their QB situation. They are winning despite their QB.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Krovvy said:

Those aren't mutually exclusive. We're talking about this year.

Though, I feel you're putting a lot of faith in the guys that looked at Sam Darnold, and thought he was not only worth being handed the starting job, but also worth a contract extension, and the cost of our 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks.

If the Panthers make it out of this year picking out of the top 10 then I wouldn't be surprised if we trade multiple first rounders to move up for a quarterback. They've thrown everything else at the wall, and nothing has stuck. I see Fitterer as a gambler, and I think he would definitely be inclined to make that decision.

Some people actually think winning a few games this year is worth moving out of top 10 and losing future 1st round picks just trade up to the spot we should have had originally. Man, I really do think people here are just that stupid 

• Pie 1

Every QB is a roll of the dice each season. Whether they are brand new out of college, are a proven vet or just a guy needing a chance, you don't know what you will get. And that can be season to season, too.

Is there a more pivotal job in sports? A more make-or-break proposition?

We like to think that teams like the Packers, Chiefs, Bills have all been built for these moments, that something they did, some evaluation they had brought them to the QB they are now working with. Maybe they did, but it was probably as much blind luck as anything else -- they somehow managed to catch lightning in a bottle. Each team has been helped immensely by giving that overcharged bottle over to a solid coaches and management teams. And medical trainers.

I'd hope we can find that magic, but I'm not putting all of my hope in the draft. First and foremost, we've got a lot of work in-house to do. So much work.

• Pie 1