• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stroud vs Iowa QB School

JawnyBlaze

On 10/27/2022 at 5:06 PM, RJK said:

Dark horse for me is Anthony Richardson. Big time athlete, might be there if the panthers win a few more games. He’s raw but worth the risk if they miss out on stroud. 

I’m not touching Richardson unless you have a Payton, Reid or BA in town to develop him..

57 minutes ago, Icege said:

After watching vs Iowa & ND, Stroud is no longer in my top 3 QBs.

Will have to see significant improvement against Penn State today and Michigan at the end of the year in order for that to change.

Curious what you didn’t like about his game against Iowa?

Who are your top three?

10 minutes ago, steveasmith said:

Curious what you didn’t like about his game against Iowa?

Who are your top three?

• Did not handle pressure well
  • Questionable velocity on throws
  • Does not seem to go through progressions (could be an OSU issue as the play designs often seem to be 1 - 2 reads and then scramble around until somebody gets open)
  • First two throws of the games are nearly picks (first play he had two open receivers underneath, second was an overthrow). His third passing attempt? Got strip-6'd.
  • Questionable accuracy (especially in the Iowa game)

The team's success vs. Iowa also had everything to do with the defense. Here were the results of Iowa's drives in just the 1st quarter:

• 1st drive: INT on first play of the game
  • 2nd drive: 3 & out
  • 3rd drive: Strip-sack
  • 4th drive: 3 & out, stopped fake punt for turnover on downs

That doesn't include the pick-6 in the 2nd quarter, pick in the 3rd quarter that set the OSU offense up inside the Iowa 15, and two 4th down stops in the 2nd half.

I will say though, CJ's 2nd TD throw was GORGEOUS. Absolutely beautiful throw. Was needed too, especially since his WRs and running game had been carrying him the entire game. His 3rd TD was the result of a bad play by the DB, which also gave him 79 of his 286yds on the day. 

My current list is incomplete (still got a few games to watch, plus today's games!), but if I had to put out a top 3 today it would be:

• 1. Will Levis (Kentucky)
  • 2. Bryce Young (Alabama)
  • 3. Max Duggan (TCU)

I am almost as high on Max Duggan this season as I was on Tyler Linderbaum the previous two seasons. Anybody that remembers can probably tell you that the Linderbaum love from me was bordering on unhealthy. 😛

Still need to watch UCLA vs. Washington, Utah, and Oregon (Dorian Thompson-Robinson) and Coastal Carolina vs. Marshall, App State, and James Madison (Grayson McCall). 

9 minutes ago, Icege said:
  • Does not seem to go through progressions (could be an OSU issue as the play designs often seem to be 1 - 2 reads and then scramble around until somebody gets open)
  • First two throws of the games are nearly picks (first play he had two open receivers underneath, second was an overthrow). His third passing attempt? Got strip-6'd.

The team's success vs. Iowa also had everything to do with the defense. Here were the results of Iowa's drives in just the 1st quarter:

That doesn't include the pick-6 in the 2nd quarter, pick in the 3rd quarter that set the OSU offense up inside the Iowa 15, and two 4th down stops in the 2nd half.

I will say though, CJ's 2nd TD throw was GORGEOUS. Absolutely beautiful throw. Was needed too, especially since his WRs and running game had been carrying him the entire game. His 3rd TD was the result of a bad play by the DB, which also gave him 79 of his 286yds on the day. 

My current list is incomplete (still got a few games to watch, plus today's games!), but if I had to put out a top 3 today it would be:

• 3. Max Duggan (TCU)

I am almost as high on Max Duggan this season as I was on Tyler Linderbaum the previous two seasons. Anybody that remembers can probably tell you that the Linderbaum love from me was bordering on unhealthy. 😛

Still need to watch UCLA vs. Washington, Utah, and Oregon (Dorian Thompson-Robinson) and Coastal Carolina vs. Marshall, App State, and James Madison (Grayson McCall). 

As an Ohio State fan, I watch all of their games.  I agree with you that he did struggle a bit in the first half.  I think it was a bunch of factors.  The first being that Iowa has a really good defense that no one wants to give credit for, at least against Ohio state. I think we may have been off a bit due to the bye week.  The receivers struggled to get open (partially due to their dubs holding our receivers and tight ends- watch the no call on the potential touchdown and the other where they just grabbed our tight end).  And CJ was just off a bit.

The 79 yard pass seemed well placed to me.  His yards were down because he did struggle the first half but when your average starting position is in the opponents side, that is part of the reason yards will be down. 

I’m not sure how his running game was carrying him.  That was our worst running performance in I don’t know how long (running game saved us and CJ against Notre Dame).  We couldn’t run at all.  Receivers did adjust to a few balls that weren’t the best thrown balls, but CJ had many throws in the second half that were right where they needed to be. 

I do agree that he struggles under pressure sometimes.  Our o line has kept him pretty clean until Iowa.  As I mentioned before, he sometimes gets those deer in headlights look.  My other knock would be that he hasn’t put the team on his back and willed us to a win(maybe somewhat against Utah last year)

I do think Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson are two of the best offensive coaches, so maybe that has given Haskins, Fields, and Stroud a bit of an advantage over the years.  But Stroud goes through his progressions much more than fields ever did  

Just my opinion, but while Stroud might not be the best qb in the country, I do think he is top 3.  Penn State will be a good test for him. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Will Levis is a dude, like Richardson who will win the underwear Olympics with his cannon for an arm. However, Richardson has shown when he is on he can take over games. Levis has not done that. 

We don’t even play defense at Florida and he couldn’t light us up. What he’s shown in four years of college ball is he throws hard and he misses games. 

Edited by Varking
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, steveasmith said:

As an Ohio State fan, I watch all of their games.  I agree with you that he did struggle a bit in the first half.  I think it was a bunch of factors.  The first being that Iowa has a really good defense that no one wants to give credit for, at least against Ohio state. I think we may have been off a bit due to the bye week.  The receivers struggled to get open (partially due to their dubs holding our receivers and tight ends- watch the no call on the potential touchdown and the other where they just grabbed our tight end).  And CJ was just off a bit.

The 79 yard pass seemed well placed to me.  His yards were down because he did struggle the first half but when your average starting position is in the opponents side, that is part of the reason yards will be down. 

I’m not sure how his running game was carrying him.  That was our worst running performance in I don’t know how long (running game saved us and CJ against Notre Dame).  We couldn’t run at all.  Receivers did adjust to a few balls that weren’t the best thrown balls, but CJ had many throws in the second half that were right where they needed to be. 

I do agree that he struggles under pressure sometimes.  Our o line has kept him pretty clean until Iowa.  As I mentioned before, he sometimes gets those deer in headlights look.  My other knock would be that he hasn’t put the team on his back and willed us to a win(maybe somewhat against Utah last year)

I do think Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson are two of the best offensive coaches, so maybe that has given Haskins, Fields, and Stroud a bit of an advantage over the years.  But Stroud goes through his progressions much more than fields ever did  

Just my opinion, but while Stroud might not be the best qb in the country, I do think he is top 3.  Penn State will be a good test for him. 

I say that the run game carried him for a couple of reasons. Out of the three 3rd down conversions that the offense was able to muster, two of those came on run plays in the 1st half. The 1st half was also where 55 of the team's 66 rushing yards were earned during a time when CJ was 10/17 with just over 100yds passing (with 1/4 of that coming on one play). By the time CJ threw his first TD, it was already 26-10 in the second half coming off of that INT that put them on the Iowa 15yd line. To me, the defense for Ohio State did a lot of heavy lifting while the run game did it's job. By the time CJ got it figured it out, they were already two scores up.

Placement on that 79yd throw was nice for sure. Not as nice as that 2nd TD toss though... lawd almighty that pass was too pretty for words.

Stroud might be going through his progressions but I can't tell without knowing the offense better. There are several plays where it looks like he's gone through his first two, maybe even three reads, and then just kind of waits for things to happen. I can't tell if that's by nature of the offense or the QB, but I'm leaning towards the offense itself since it's been a reoccurring criticism for OSU QBs.

That part about putting the team on his back was what has really troubled me. He just doesn't seem to do it. The WRs are amazing, the OL is solid, and the defense is no joke either so it's not like he needs to, but I'd like to see him take control of the game. I'm hoping to see him take more control during the Penn State game today. A lot of the issues I had from Iowa I went back and saw during Notre Dame as well.

Fortunately, we've got enough time for these guys to get some more film on them so that the professional scouts can better vet them.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Icege said:

• 3. Max Duggan (TCU)

Check out Penix too when you are watching UCLA vs Washington 

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, Varking said:

Will Levis is a dude, like Richardson who will win the underwear Olympics with his cannon for an arm. However, Richardson has shown when he is on he can take over games. Levis has not done that. 

We don’t even play defense at Florida and he couldn’t light us up. What he’s shown in four years of college ball is he throws hard and he misses games. 

Will be interesting to see what Kentucky lets Levis do if Tennessee starts putting up big numbers today. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Will be interesting to see what Kentucky lets Levis do if Tennessee starts putting up big numbers today. 

Tennessee’s secondary is banged up and terrible this year. If Levis doesn’t light them up, I’d be a little concerned. Their offense is just elite and they out score everyone. 

• Beer 1

On 10/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, Martin said:

I wouldn’t say it is lazy. Any Mike Leech offense will have great numbers. Any Ohio State offense will have great numbers. You should always look at those two offenses with some skepticism in terms of the numbers produced by the QB. It also doesn’t mean the QB automatically isn’t great. It just takes more analysis than some other teams.

I think you just explained why it is lazy.

• Pie 2