• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade rumors

TheSpecialJuan

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Trading Burns would be stupid.  He is like 24 and just starting to find his groove.  he will be a stud for the next decade.

Are we absolutely sure though that he’s not worth a couple first round picks and maybe a 2nd or 3rd to go along with it? I mean teams are practically willing to trade the type of draft capital normally seen for franchise QBs, I love Burns but he is no Julius Peppers nor is he a franchise QB

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, ECHornet said:

What former or current Panthers ended up worth top contracts after we paid them who weren’t unanimously supported as ‘worth it’ before paying them? 

I don't even think the fans unanimously wanted us to re-sign Peppers in his prime.

7 hours ago, ECHornet said:

It seems pretty clear that opinions vary on if Burns is worth a top DE contract. 

So I’ll ask this…

What former or current Panthers ended up worth top contracts after we paid them who weren’t unanimously supported as ‘worth it’ before paying them? 

I'd make a case for Charles Johnson. Granted he had Peppers on the other side early on, but he had 1 "break out" year before Panthers gave him that huge deal.

Nothing in the NFL is guaranteed. Injuries happen and draft picks bust.

IDK what Burns is asking for or where a new coaching crew would play him, edge hopefully, so it is way premature to pretend anyone here knows what's best beyond guessing. My hope is to ride out the year and make those decisions after other things are decided. Even if we trade him we can franchise him after his 5th year so there is plenty of room for a trade down the line if that is the route that becomes best.

I imagine there have been contract discussions or at least preliminary talks. A mega deal doesn't really excite me with where we are currently. He is a very good player but our general direction is in question leaving me thinking now is not the time to fug with the cap more in future years before we have a clear cleanup path set.

• Pie 1