• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would you guys feel about keeping Darnold as a long term backup

hepcat

Let's say after Darnold collects this year's ridiculous paycheck, he likes Charlotte and wants to stick around. The Panthers go draft a QB in the top of the draft and keep Matt Corral as well. Darnold signs a reasonable backup salary contract. How would you feel about that QB room?

That's pending PJ doesn't have a crazy awesome end to the season which I'm sad to say probably isn't happening but we can all dream!

• Beer 1

No reason. With what we spent on Corral he should be groomed and given his chance as our backup and to shine if the opportunity presents itself. Plus, I think if he works hard, he has the talent to be an above average backup. That’s his ceiling after all, despite the homers on here.

For this season, Darnell is already a back up. It all depends upon what happens later this season and how well PJ performs.

I think that PJ should start for the remainder of the season unless he fails. I would start PJ and have Corral back up to PJ.

However, to be honest, I do not know what the financial situation is in the front office. Salary cap room, etc.

This draft is supposed to be deep at QB and we should have a decent amount of picks. If PJ looks like he can at least play the role of backup, I have no qualms with playing the numbers and drafting two QBs instead of putting all our eggs in one basket. We have other holes to fill, but they won't matter if you miss on your one swing for a QB, especially if you have a second at bat and a good prospect falls to San Fran's second rounder (Panthers 3rd pick).

If PJ completely crashes and burns, bring in an experienced vet that can step in if called upon. There may be plenty of realistic options out there, but if we want to keep it cap friendly, any of these guys (if not resigned) would be cool with me: Case Keenum, Geno Smith, Jacoby Brissett, Andy Dalton, Heinecke, Cooper Rush, Trace McSorley (Ignore my Penn State bias), or Gardner Minshew. These guys should not be looked at as another Teddy/Darnold/Baker since their role would clearly be as a backup / vet presence.

Edit: Wow, I segued. If they kept Darnold in a team friendly deal with the clear expectation to be a backup, I wouldn't be upset with it. But there better be one player who clearly is the future of the team in place, and another that is full of potential or has previous success to some degree, even if it's as a backup.

Edited by EgoDogg