• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Brown is really starting to dominate

electro's horse

38 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

But why give them reps?  We are not going to resign them. 

Is the them you refer to Sam and Baker?  If so I would not purposely give them reps for this if PJ is proving capable. To be clear, my point was never about one specific player or position group, just players in general.   

3 hours ago, electro's horse said:

I know I make a thread about him almost weekly, but he was noticeable yesterday, and he pulled off something I haven't seen a Panthers DT do something like this since the Kris Jenkins era. 

Sorry for the NFL.com link. 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/derrick-brown-makes-nifty-shoestring-tackle-of-mariota-for-loss-of-yardage

Blows up the center, tackles the RB just to prove a point, then trips up Mariota on the keeper. Insane play. 

That was indeed prime Kris Jenkins poo. 

Took me about a minute to realize my jaw was still dropped. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, ColumbusCounty said:

He had another play late in the game on 3rd down where we pushed his man towards the open lane the rb was hitting and one arm tackled him. 

I can gladly say...I knew it. 

I was going to mention that, too.  Not only one arm tackled him, but actually pulled him backwards before putting him on the ground.  At least, I think it was the same play you mentioned here.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Shocker said:

He played extremely hard yesterday.  The effort was amazing 

Yes, especially when he gave up on plays, got pushed down the field, and walked to the ball while the play was still going on. He enjoyed watching the game every 3rd snap he was on the field.

How about that 4 man rush in the 4th quarter that turned into a 3 man rush because Brown decided he lost in the first 2 seconds so he would just drop back 10 yards and let Mariota have all the time he wanted in the pocket?

Brown is just looking for the hero/highlight plays that he can get when they are easy and he just needs to slant hard into a gap while not caring about his actual gap/lane responsibility.

He forgot to stunt 2 times on plays designed for him to stunt. One resulted in Mariota running up the middle for a long gain and a first down.

That is not playing extremely hard or giving an amazing effort.

I think someone should put a game reel together of all Brown's snaps and after you watch them back to back you can make this comment. Instead, you see 3 hero plays and forget there is more to the game for a DT than just slanting through a gap and hoping for the best.

Having Brown at DT is much more costly for the team than most seem to understand.

Ioannidis > Brown. Matt actually had key impactful plays while taking care of his team responsibilities. Matt showed up in the clutch too and never gave up on a single play.

Edited by CPantherKing

I said when he got drafted that it took him until his senior year before he became dominant in college and thought it would take three to four before he lived up to his potential. Glad to see he's on that track.

He was so much better his senior year compared to his junior it's nit funny. 

• Beer 1