• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gee...Ilke Wilks

ladypanther

I really like Wilks and how the players have responded to him so far. I don't give a damn whether he is an offensive guru or not, if they continue to play harder like this for the rest of the season he HAS to be considered to be the man in charge.  We can find him some offense nerd to run the offense if we have to but Wilks being the man at the top who seems to posses true leadership ability much unlike that waste of a head coach Rhule deserves a true run as a head coach. I don't know him personally but he seems very un-narcissistic much unlike Rhule. He is just a guy you can easily get behind. I am seriously liking him more and more each week whether win or lose as the entire attitude is changing with the team. He has the "It" factor it takes to be a leader I believe. His one year in Arizona was BS. He needs a legit real run to build a coaching staff and run things his way. So far I really like things his way.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Please set your emotions aside.  I want to see us get the best head coach possible to secure the future of the franchise.  What are the chances that Matt Rhule brought that guy in from being the DC for Missouri?

He's got an opportunity to audition here.  With any sort of performance, he will at least wash off the stink from the debacle in Arizona.  That should be a positive for his career period.  The guy was coaching in college, and not at a traditional power.

I would like to see a committee.  I would like to see multiple rounds interviews of multiple candidates.

I am not arguing that Wilks isn't a great story.  He is.  I'm not arguing that he's a very likeable dude.  Definitely is.  But finding a quality HC needs to set all those things aside and focus on finding a guy who can bring us success in the long term.  If it's determined after a thorough process that Wilks is that guy, great.  If not, I hope he gets a shot at a position on the new staff.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

He’s this years version of Rich Bisaccia:

replaces a overpaid dud (Gruden/Rhule)

instantly a leader of men

to only be looked over by ownership for another expensive dud (McDaniels)

That's a mistake I hope Tepper doesn't make. 

He is close to losing the fanbase.

If Wilks continues to have the team play hard, you got to extend him. He will be a proven commodity at that point, and you can't afford to miss on your next hire. 

Give him 3 to 4 years to continue to stabilize the franchise and reassess then...

If I'm Tepper, the only way I don't extend Wilks, is if I can get a proven offensive mind at HC.

There is only 1 of those in the market & that's Sean Peyton. I don't think he comes here...So Wilks it should be!

• Pie 2

I like Wilks a lot. He's a leader, he doesn't make excuses, he doesn't shirk responsibility and he doesn't throw his players under the bus. I have no doubt every guy on the roster would probably run through a wall for him and his assistants seem to like working for him.

All that said, I don't believe he's going to get the long-term job.

But with that said, I'd be perfectly fine with it if he did.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

3 hours ago, ladypanther said:

He was put in an impossible situation here.  His future as an HC...either here or somewhere else is on the line.  One thing that really impresses me is his character.

It would be easy to make excuses..or even mention that was a wrong call.  He refused to bite.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article268104882.html#storylink=cpy

This guys is a leader.  Have to believe that the players trust him.  He also seems like a coach that they players will play hard for...not because he give some stupid sht rah rah speech but because he is real and he believes in them.  

Watching the game Sunday, every time the cameras went to Wilks he looked the same.  You could not tell whether things were going well or bad.  The look was of a man who seemed focused.

He seems to have spent a lot of his time focusing on offense  with good results.  As I have said before, somehow he has gotten McDoo focused.

I know he trusts Al, but the D needs him too. There were some lapses that need attention.  Burns has stepped forward with accountability...I expect his leadership and performance will take a step forward.

I really like Coach

he is a football coach’s coach.  He knows what needs to be improved he will do it 

I also like how EVERYONE on the team has to play and take reps. He knows he needs to coach up the young guys 

I have such respect for him and he is a breath of fresh air 

here is hoping Tepper doesn’t need the next bright shiny toy who has never been a headcoach. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Toker Smurf said:

I like how he's handling things. My concern is that Tepper see's him as a token candidate and he will not get enough say if he gets another year. I don't want another Rhule situation (as far as power) but he needs normal coach authority if he's going to build the team to his vision. I just don't know if keeping a defensive coach as head coach is the right thing if we are going to draft a QB (or develop Corral).

Look to Buffalo   He is no different than McDermott 

• Pie 2

I like him and as long as we don't quit and are showing growth through the year, I think he should stay. That being said, if he wants to land the full time gig I think he has to be able to deliver a legit OC. If he can bring in a big name at OC, I think he can keep Tepper from looking outside.

4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

I don't know how to feel about him yet as a strategist but he's nailing everything else I want to see out of a head coach. Tepper called him "a leader of men" in the first press conference and it's proven true.

Tepper's endorsement actually makes Wilk's lose credibility in my eyes

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, thunderraiden said:

If there was some way to have Wilks as the DC and the OC from the Eagles, Shane Steichen, as the Head Coach and playcaller we would be set for a couple years until Wilks gets another HC gig.

No coach would want Wilks as DC in Carolina if the team continues to do well. 

Imagine you get a 1st time coach like Steichen and the team struggles at the beginning.

Players may tune out new coach, fans will be calling for Wilks to take over etc...it can get ugly quickly. 

Tepper shouldn't even want that. Either give Wilks the Job because he is the proven commodity or take a chance on someone new and let him go. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think hiring Wilks long-term will have about the same outcome that Ron had in DC. Great DCs and nothing more unless the rules start changing away from where they are headed. All the culture changes Ron brought to DC were good for one year and then his limitations have been on display since then. 

We can and should try to do better. I respect the man, he has earned it but that doesn't change any of his limitations. There is nothing about fair in this conversation. It's like saying it's not fair the best safety isn't paid half what the best QBs make, it is just the value of ability AND position they play. DC that are really good can be found all over the NFL. 

And as far as the McDaniels comparison, if you hire a known failure at HC than that is on you. There are some OCs out there that are very promising without his well documented issues. Do you think Wilks could win a SB? I don't. I have seen 2 defensive HCs lose in the big game here and I don't expect that trend to change anytime soon. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I think hiring Wilks long-term will have about the same outcome that Ron had in DC. Great DCs and nothing more unless the rules start changing away from where they are headed. All the culture changes Ron brought to DC were good for one year and then his limitations have been on display since then. 

We can and should try to do better. I respect the man, he has earned it but that doesn't change any of his limitations. There is nothing about fair in this conversation. It's like saying it's not fair the best safety isn't paid half what the best QBs make, it is just the value of ability AND position they play. DC that are really good can be found all over the NFL. 

And as far as the McDaniels comparison, if you hire a known failure at HC than that is on you. There are some OCs out there that are very promising without his well documented issues. Do you think Wilks could win a SB? I don't. I have seen 2 defensive HCs lose in the big game here and I don't expect that trend to change anytime soon. 

I agree, but Tepper can't afford to miss on the next hire. So Wilks can act as a bridge. 

otherwise, u hire a young 1st time coach & he gives you Rhules' vibe. I don't know if this fanbase can take that after Rhule.