• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Around the NHL

2 hours ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

Nobody is worried about the little boys of the Hudson. The team across the river is a significantly bigger concern to the Canes that the outcome of the division. Good job barely scraping by Ottawa I guess lol. 

Barely scraping by Ottawa?

Well with Mackenzie Blackwood in net, I would call that a minor miracle.

He's been so god-awful for years.

Vitek and Schmid are the goaltenders who helped us get to this point.

And how are the Rags a bigger concern?   They'll be facing us more than likely unless you lose the division to us. 

47 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

And how are the Rags a bigger concern?   They'll be facing us more than likely unless you lose the division to us. 

Rags are currently on major hot streak, 8-1-1 and if we didn’t steal the game in NY they’d be 9-0-1. And with our playoff history last year I’d much rather you guys face them in the first round. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

Because NJ doesn’t scare me. NY does. I would much rather play NJ than the Rags in the playoffs.

Edited by USDepartmentOfSavagery
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

On 3/26/2023 at 1:41 PM, Anybodyhome said:

I have a feeling NJ's goaltending will be what exposes them in the playoffs.

If Blackwood plays, yes.

But Vitek has been more than just serviceable.

We expected him to be just average when we signed him, and he had been way more than that this season.

Remember that any goaltender can go on a Hot streak in the playoffs, as well. 

So long as Vitek is doing his thing, the Devils have a greater shot of winning and going as far in the playoffs as they can.

Though i don't see any team in the East getting by Boston this year.

Edited by glenwo2

16 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

If Blackwood plays, yes.

But Vitek has been more than just serviceable.

We expected him to be just average when we signed him, and he had been way more than that this season.

Remember that any goaltender can go on a Hot streak in the playoffs, as well. 

So long as Vitek is doing his thing, the Devils have a greater shot of winning and going as far in the playoffs as they can.

Though i don't see any team in the East getting by Boston this year.

we've ran into the rangers several times, and they made the ECF last year, whereas the devils weren't there. for us as a 5x year playoff team that finally add experience to our resume, the pick your opponent option is likely always going to be the team that is new blood/hasn't been there before.  

while you're not wrong about Vitek/goaltending getting hot--while that's possible for anyone, it's been the thing that has kept Carolina from advancing, and it's not the random names.  It's stacking what has been league average goaltending (and specifically Freddie's injury last season at a bad time) up against Vezina candidates/Shesterkins/Tukka Rasks of the world. a young team with Vitek / some inconsistency behind him is more attractive than facing NYR again. it's not personal. NHL East fans have clamored for us in the playoffs to their peril too so it's just bulletin board material for NYD but at the end of the day, the prospect of playing one of the worst two playoff teams while you and NYR beat up on each other is the obvious best case

• Beer 1

How soon we forget that Carolina went thru their playoff run last year with their #2 and AHL recall goalie in net when Freddie went down.

And, I'm sorry, but Boston doesn't scare me. The Canes played them 3 times this season. The first in November with the AHL recall goalie in net (in Boston) and it took the Bs to get to OT and a win.

Second time was in Raleigh and Boston was never in it while Carolina rolled up a 4-1 win.

Third game was yesterday, again in Boston and again, it took a SO win by the Bruins.

From a point perspective, the season was split 4-4. Last season, Carolina beat Boston in the 1st round.

• Pie 3

Whooo! It was 2-1 in the third until Palmari scores again with 4:30ish minutes left making it 3-1. 2 empty netters later and Islanders win 5-1. Sorokin stopped 35 of 36 shots for the Islanders.

Canes 3 points ahead of NJD with 2 games in hand, looking good!

Edited by DavidEng
  • Pie 2