• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dolphins extend Chubb

Mr. Scot

Burns is 24.  If you think about it, most of our DEs (Hardy, Johnson, Rucker) were STs until the third year.  Peppers was the exception. 

Burns is about to explode as a pass rusher, and he will be good until he is 34.  DEs like him are hard to find.  You have to pay the man.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They didn't offer two 1sts for a one year rental. They would've extended Burns. There's always going to be a highest offer in any trade situation. Did you expect someone to offer more than two 1sts?

That’s there choice. But it doesn’t make him more valuable. They have to give him a chunk of guaranteed money they don’t have. 

Do you expect to receive a similar offer this off-season? That’s the question. If the desperate, win now Rams offered what people are saying is equivalent to a 2nd and a 3rd in 2023, with a half season at almost free, what are the offers to pay him going to be then? 

I would've taken the picks, but I don't necessarily think that Burns loses value or gains value because we didn't. He's still a premier rusher and really young to boot. He hasn't really even hit his prime yet. 

Just like I saw people way undervaluing him before the deadline (talking about a trading him for a third), there seem to be people undervaluing him now. He's very young, talented and proven. We'll pay him, or there will be suitors waiting to give us those two ones or more.

34 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Huh? Chubb’s deal is $24M per year and Kirk’s was $18M per year. Burns has better stats than Chubb, so he’s going to be in the $25-30M range.

Kirk got $30 a year I thought. That’s what I heard at the time and blew my mind

Edited by JawnyBlaze

6 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That’s there choice. But it doesn’t make him more valuable. They have to give him a chunk of guaranteed money they don’t have. 

Do you expect to receive a similar offer this off-season? That’s the question. If the desperate, win now Rams offered what people are saying is equivalent to a 2nd and a 3rd in 2023, with a half season at almost free, what are the offers to pay him going to be then? 

Yeah, his value isn't going to go down. He's still a young pass rusher with top tier talent. If we need to trade whim we're not going to have any issues getting excellent return

30 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Hill is the highest paid WR and his deal is $30M. Not sure where you are getting your numbers. Kirk is the 18th highest paid WR at $18M per year. To be frank, Hill is more of a game changer than Burns and it might not really be close.

I dunno if my memory is just off but I remember Hill getting $35mil a year and Kirk getting $30, and Adam’s getting just under Hill

Yea looks like my memory was just off. Kirk got 4 years up to $84mil, Adams got 5 years 141.25mil and Hill got 4 years 120. Point holds though. If Kirk got $21mil a year, a top DE contract should blow a mid tier WR’s contract out of the water. Hill is more of a game changer, sure, but WR isn’t a more important position than DE and Burns is going to get upper tier DE money. 

49 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Seeing as how Reddick produces almost the same stats for only $15M, we are out two firsts and an extra $10-15M a year. I still would have rather had Reddick, Corbett and 2 firsts than Burns because with the new contract that’s exactly what it will be. If the Rams tail off like I expect, ooh wee. Still like Burns but that’s a haul. People seemed so into the firsts without realizing how much Burns will cost and that that $25-30M would have given us his replacement/two very solid starters and the two firsts are the cherry on top.

Its like we fleeced ourselves.

Barnwell on Burns:

On that level, this deal is simple. The Rams need an edge rusher. They have first-round picks. The Panthers need first-round picks, especially after trading draft capital away to acquire Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield. Most non-quarterbacks aren't worth two first-round picks, and -- with the 2019 Ramsey deal as a notable exception -- most teams that trade away a star for multiple first-rounders typically come away winning the deal. Easy enough, right?

Not really. To start, the Rams don't have their 2023 first-rounder, which is going to the Lions as part of the Matthew Stafford deal. The Panthers would be accepting first-rounders in 2024 and 2025 for Burns, making those picks less valuable in the eyes of some NFL front offices. A 2025 pick from the Rams might be incredibly valuable if Sean McVay and Aaron Donald are retired, but in the case of Carolina general manager Scott Fitterer, trading Burns for a pick still three years away might ensure that someone else is the one actually making that selection.

On top of that, Burns is only 24 years old. He's still two years away from free agency. Even if the Panthers take three years to get back into playoff contention, he should still be in the prime of his career. We've seen teams such as the Eagles and Giants turn their fate around quicker than it might have seemed after they fired their coaches in 2020 and 2021, respectively. The Panthers might feel like they can contend in a disintegrating NFC South as early as next season if they land the right quarterback and/or right coach this offseason, which would make trading Burns for 2024 and 2025 picks illogical.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2