• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Corral Reminder

top dawg

Just now, top dawg said:

I hope that he gets a chance. Honestly we never would've drafted him, or needed to, had we drafted Fields, but that's another story...

The thing is though, there is a lesson with Fields: you should not jump the gun and draw definitive conclusions early about players because they all have talent; you just have to put them into the best situation to succeed (play to their strengths and all that jazz...).

Corral seems like a guy who truly needs a vet, not just a mid-career average JAG to show him the ropes.  He is also basically having a scratch year when this is at least the time to be acclimated into the NFL setting.  Given the system he came from and likely where he's at developmentally, he needs someone in front of him to show him the ins and outs.  Talking at least a Cousins, Carr type guy.  

Buuut this is why our situation just isn't ideal for him.  I doubt having him go against another Baker type pickup in camp will help him out.  Combine our likelihood of getting a QB R1, it's just not something to really get too excited about from my perspective.     

11 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

it was shocking that we passed on Fields. I really liked him coming out. That said Horn is amazing as well. But CB's dont win games. 

It was shocking. He had numbers similar to Goldilocks, and his accuracy was actually better I believe. He had the highest upside of any QB prospect in a while, and we passed on him like he was nothing. 

• Pie 2

20 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Man I wish Corall would have stayed healthy this year. This would have been the perfect time to prove himself. But as much as people might like him, this year was about the worst combo of events for him. The Coach that drafted him, in order to appease the owner was fired. We WILL take one of the top 3 QB's and likely sign a vet QB to mentor him. 

Corall, will be the 3rd string QB and constantly on the roster bubble. 

I wish that were not true, he worked his entire life to get here, but those breaks are life. 

Honestly his BEST case, is that he gets playing time in the preseason and looks good and another team with a starting vet QB trades for him. 

Not sure I agree because I don't think the lack of development and general organizational chaos would have been anything but a net negative for him. 

He is probably best suited to sitting out and figuring out how to be a professional football player. It's something he will learn a little more with an actual NFL coach in Wilks. 

• Beer 1

I'm a Panther Fan.  I hope all of our players succeed.  That said, I don't think it's in the cards for Matt Corral.  I liked what I saw in camp, and I hate that he got hurt.  

But we're drafting a QB next year who will get the lion share of reps and attention.  Matt is going to have to show the heck out.  Will we run such a RPO heavy offense?  It's almost as if the offense was set up so that Matt could come in and be comfortable quickly...

Matt is just another victim of a horribly mismanaged team, sadly.  I wish him the best because he seems like a good kid.  I just am not sure it's going to be here for him.

30 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Man I wish Corall would have stayed healthy this year. This would have been the perfect time to prove himself. But as much as people might like him, this year was about the worst combo of events for him. The Coach that drafted him, in order to appease the owner was fired. We WILL take one of the top 3 QB's and likely sign a vet QB to mentor him. 

Corall, will be the 3rd string QB and constantly on the roster bubble. 

I wish that were not true, he worked his entire life to get here, but those breaks are life. 

Honestly his BEST case, is that he gets playing time in the preseason and looks good and another team with a starting vet QB trades for him. 

He probably dodged a bullet not playing this season. I don't think any rookie QB would do well in the team's current state. 

Edited by MechaZain

I wish the kid were in a position to get a proper chance.  The situation here is set up in a way that make his opportunity sub-optimal at best, impossible at worst.

1) Injury: This eliminates any chance this season to showcase his skill.

2) HC/OC: With change coming to all levels of the staff, it’s universally accepted that a new Coach gets to have his QB. (The GM remains so that avenue isn’t totally closed.)

3) Drafting a QB: If the Panthers secure a top pick in the draft they are expected to take one of the top QBs available.  This would all but eliminate MC9 from contention by default.

4) Another FA QB: An outlier as far as probability goes, but if they were able to land a Lamar Jackson, this too would eliminate Corral from QB1 competition.

tl;dr- Barring truly unforeseen circumstances Matt Corral will not get the opportunity to be the starter here.

We are so qb poor that you all should hope that the kid is a capable backup at minimum.  Even if we draft a qb he will not be starting right away.

There's not a qb in this draft that should be a day 1 starter.  I'm also not on the sign a vet train ride just yet as that has worked out so well for us.

What I see as ultimately playing out is that we take one of the qb's in the 1st. It doesn't matter which one because neither will start right away.  That will be Corrals opportunity to make his case for the starting job.

It's in all our best interest for him to be more than a wasted draft pick at a critical position. To rely on the next draft pick to be the quy without seeing what you have in the only qb you've drafted since Cam Newton is a serious waste of resources.  Something like that does not instill faith that the FO could draft and develop a qb even if they were handed one.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

at the moment, Corral at least offers an investment to carry over at the position.

I agree.  I don't think Corral is one to sit and do nothing.  He's probably been digging in the play book and as soon as he can get to throwing, he'll be doing that.  I have hope for the young man.

If he had actual reps in training camp and a full season running the scout team I would be more inclined to think he has an opportunity to compete for the job next year. But sitting around in a meeting room and not practicing...he won't be any more prepared next year except for knowing the playbook better and maybe how to watch film better.

4 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

If he had actual reps in training camp and a full season running the scout team I would be more inclined to think he has an opportunity to compete for the job next year. But sitting around in a meeting room and not practicing...he won't be any more prepared next year except for knowing the playbook better and maybe how to watch film better.

I do wonder what he would look like if he has any reps with the 1st or 2nd team. Rhule really screw him over. 

• Pie 1