• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brugler: Next year's quarterbacks "not universally loved"

Mr. Scot

Same poo new year. Just going to wait until another 10 years for the next Luck or Herbert/Allen or even Mahomes or Rodgers (who weren’t really drooled over either) comes out? 

I’ve learned media hype is bullshit and I find it hard to believe no one will workout to be a good QB in this entire draft.

What I have learned is unfortunately what really matters is your FOs ability to make sound decisions, and then set up  said sound decisions for success, so we are fuged no matter what anyways.

It’s way more than the QB itself. But yes the QB needs to have the physical traits to play in the NFL, the mental makeup to survive being the face of a team, and the ability to be a leader. Not only as a football player but as a man as well.

After that you have to have a coaching staff that understands the strengths and weaknesses of that QB and can build an offensive scheme that highlights his strengths, and put players around him that compliment those strengths. It’s of course way easier said than done. The Panthers have failed in every aspect of finding a competent QB. Bridgewater didn’t have the physical tools and was weak mentally (his Twitter burner accounts proved that), Darnold had the physical tools but isn’t a leader and made too many mistakes, Mayfield doesn’t have the physical tools and the coaching was terrible for him. They have to draft a prospect with enough of everything to win games. 

• Pie 1

Seems to happen all the time. When quarterbacks become draft eligible they get scrutinized more, and we get really picky and look for flaws. When they’re still a year away, it’s easier to focus solely on the positives/ceiling.

But I’m unwavering, it’s a massive failure of an off-season if you don’t draft a quarterback in round 1. Preferably Stroud or Young. Sell a future first if needed. We can not keep punting this issue. I’d still be thrilled with Bryce or CJ.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Cavscout said:

Cam Newton wasn't universally loved coming out of Auburn either. 

No he wasn't loved by everyone. That happens with every class. It was not unique to Cam. But he was the best in his class coming out. That is where it starts.

Determine where the candidate ranks among "his" class and then determine whether you want to get him or take a shot on a lesser rated classmate. It's the same with every draft class. 

• Pie 1

Just now, frankw said:

This is said every year now it seems like.

It is. It's media driven hype that gets out before the scouting reports start to leak out. That's why I just laugh the hype driven stuff off most of the time. You have to let it play out and wait for the real scouting reports to leak out and not the media blowhards take.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

How did we go from “This is a deep, amazing class” to “This class may have 1 or 2 starter level QBs”?

Some of the expected guys didn't step up. In fact some cratered(Van Dyke) and some didn't make the expected jump(Richardson, Jefferson, etc). Some of the second tier prospects didn't improve either.

• Pie 1

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

Good

Because I think we’re going to win 1-3 more games and we’ll need someone to drop in the draft

Denver, Detroit, Pittsburgh and even Atlanta are games that could sewer us

I'm not seeing a win in there anywhere. But stranger things have happened to us. Out of those 4 our best chance at a win should logically be Detroit as they are Detroit.  But this year it's hard to predict.  Right now I do not see another win unless its gift-wrapped for them.

• Pie 1