• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad does PJ need to play to be removed as starter?

AlphabetsEnd

1 minute ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

Lol.

I think a more reasonable reason assessment, based on the game film, is that drive killing dropped passes, and untimely sacks, poorly run routes, bad scheme, questionable playcalling, superior defenses, no Bozeman or TMJ, no Foreman, shortened off season, and Matt fugging Rhule are more likely reasons. But hey, people like blaming QBs, especially a headbutting jackass like Mayfield. 

I think we basically set him up to fail but plenty of it is still on his shoulders. He is the one making some of these boneheaded decisions. 

But, yes, having morons coaching a flawed QB isn't going to result in much success.

7 minutes ago, Ornias said:

I know it shouldn't but do you think the locker room is only behind PJ?

I think the locker room loves PJ. I don't think they dislike Mayfield, from what I've seen, but they've known PJ longer and this is his shot at the big-time. 

Of course, who knows. I mean would you like a guy who headbutts you all the time?

Edited by AlphabetsEnd
  • Beer 2

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think we basically set him up to fail but plenty of it is still on his shoulders. He is the one making some of these boneheaded decisions. 

But, yes, having morons coaching a flawed QB isn't going to result in much success.

Of course some of it is on him. He's the one throwing the ball and making pre and post snap calls. Having watched a ton of gamefilm, I don't think I saw that many in-game boneheaded decisions in his starts, just bad execution and a dysfunctional offense - but clearly Mayfield has made some dumb decisions off the field (to the tune of millions and his health and reputation). 

The morons coaching is the bigger problem. This defense should be much more consistent but I put that on the coaching, alongside the offense. 

• Beer 2

14 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

They all stink but I believe PJ is the most respected in the locker room and also has the memory of a goldfish after making a bad play.  He also never really panics.  He makes bad decisions, but he's never Mr. Happy Feet like Sam and Baker.

Baker and Sam won't be on the team next year unless they're playing for close to the minimum.  Even then I wouldn't bank on it.  I don't think the locker room is behind either of them.

Though unlikely, it wouldn’t surprise me if Baker came back on a “prove it “ one-year deal next year, especially if we play ourselves out of the top 5 in the upcoming draft. Don’t get me wrong - he’s played awfully but how much of that was the clusterfug that was Matt Rhule and late signing on a new team? 🤔

I don’t think there’s any chance that Darnold is here next year.

PJ is easy to root for. He's not an arrogant ass like Baker or a boring dolt like Sam. I think the guys like playing for him from outward appearances. 

Regardless of what we think of his abilities you can't help but cheer for the guy. He is still giving it his all and getting the rest of the team to follow him. That's all you can ask for.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

PJ is easy to root for. He's not an arrogant ass like Baker or a boring dolt like Sam. I think the guys like playing for him from outward appearances. 

Regardless of what we think of his abilities you can't help but cheer for the guy. He is still giving it his all and getting the rest of the team to follow him. That's all you can ask for.

As bad as I felt for Corral, I didn't think it'd be good for his development to see the field this season, so I was happy for PJ to stick around. I just think, and I think the games have shown, he's just not a starting caliber QB, but I think I'd dig him as a coach having him as an actual 2nd team back-up, as he seems to be able to turn it on quickly when needed and he is mobile, which is an undervalued trait for a guy coming off the bench.

Edited by AlphabetsEnd