• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Case for Koochie as our 1

Panthers Fan 69

I've been following Koochie's career in Russia for a while, pretty much since we drafted him. He's been great for us so far but I do think he needs more time fine tuning his technique and angles before we can really rely on him as our starter for a playoff run. He filled in admirably for a game in last year's playoffs against Boston but then really struggled vs NYR. He's pretty young for an NHL starting goalie as it is and still new to the North American game which has differences from playing in Russia, more time getting settled here either as an NHL backup or AHL starter I think makes the most sense.

However with Freddie out I'm 100% cool with a trial by fire here and hopefully he just continues this strong play, but I want to see a sample size of at least a dozen or two dozen starts with solid play before I'd declare him our #1. I absolutely think he can and will get there, I'm just not sure this season is the time quite yet. We will see how he does in the coming weeks/months if Freddie remains out though. Hopefully Rod keeps giving him ~50% of the games, splitting with Raanta.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

I've been following Koochie's career in Russia for a while, pretty much since we drafted him. He's been great for us so far but I do think he needs more time fine tuning his technique and angles before we can really rely on him as our starter for a playoff run. He filled in admirably for a game in last year's playoffs against Boston but then really struggled vs NYR. He's pretty young for an NHL starting goalie as it is and still new to the North American game which has differences from playing in Russia, more time getting settled here either as an NHL backup or AHL starter I think makes the most sense.

However with Freddie out I'm 100% cool with a trial by fire here and hopefully he just continues this strong play, but I want to see a sample size of at least a dozen or two dozen starts with solid play before I'd declare him our #1. I absolutely think he can and will get there, I'm just not sure this season is the time quite yet. We will see how he does in the coming weeks/months if Freddie remains out though. Hopefully Rod keeps giving him ~50% of the games, splitting with Raanta.

I completely agree, Would like to see a string of multiple games of good play. I think he has moments of mental lapse at times which can lead to easy goals. At the same time he makes stops many won't lol. Going to be fun to see going forward anyway! 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Bottom line is that he needs to play more, he’s an RFA at the end of the year so the Canes need to figure out if he can be at the very least a backup. I like what I’m seeing from Kochetkov but I’d keep all three goalies as of right now. Maybe move Andersen at the deadline if Kochetkov proves he can be a number one.

image.gif.21dcc8378d95e28483b6fc90df8c813e.gif

• Pie 2