• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is baker the worst QB we have had?

Panthers Fan 69

2 hours ago, Pakmeng said:

Probably the 2nd worst one that was intended to be a starter behind Clausen.

What's interesting in hindsight is the anger over him not being named immediate starter and the idea that he was a better option than Jimmy G.

What’s also interesting is why Baker and Wilson sucked so bad after going to a new team. Coincidence, bad coaching on both sides, or some other factor teams need to pay attention to?

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Pakmeng said:

Probably the 2nd worst one that was intended to be a starter behind Clausen.

Since Jake was backing up Rodney Freakin Peete on opening day and we dont exclude him from Top X discussions, Id say that this distinction is pointless and arbitrary.

Edited by Cullenator

23 minutes ago, Tbe said:

What’s also interesting is why Baker and Wilson sucked so bad after going to a new team. Coincidence, bad coaching on both sides, or some other factor teams need to pay attention to?

Seriously. Russell Wilson pretty much looks like Baker Mayfield and that's horrifying for the Broncos given their investment in them. They're fuged for the foreseeable future if Wilson can't remove his head from his ass. At least we have minimal investment in Baker and no contractual obligations beyond this year.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Standards. Thx to whomever posted it here but the average height for an NFL QB is 6'3" that happens to be the same for an NFL DT.

Teams get in trouble when they ignore those standards and bet on a guy who is massively undersized. Are there 6'1" DTs? Yes there are but they're below the average.

Matt Corral is listed at 6'2", an inch below the NFL average so to me that's a -.

My next question would be accuracy and skill and any intangibles (mobility, run threat, pocket awareness, pocket movement, IQ). 

Does Matt Corral have any intangibles to make up for, to me, below average NFL QB height? To me accuracy is above everything so Baker would automatically be scratched.

Matt Corral is an above average runner for a QB, I went back and looked at his college tapes and the guy actually trucked, CBs and LBs, fearless as a runner. Run threat.

Mobility? Corral is very accurate on the run, I actually can't wait to see him play some NFL games. That will be fun to watch. Play action is his forte.

Pocket awareness, pocket movement? Corral and PJ are very similar players. Corral is obviously taller and a much more physical, aggressive player in the open field but they can both stand in the pocket and navigate that area to buy time. Baker runs.

So put that all together Corral is probably a B+ in the NFL.

Nobody grades the same but that's where I'd start.

This is why MONTHS ago I said Levis was the best QB in this draft.

Baker has been a starter for a long time, was the no. 1 overall pick, was featured in nationwide commercials as a pro...was traded for, and expected to be the starter.

His play is terrible.  I think there's something wrong with him, and he's trying to gut it out...can't help but be reminded of Cam's shoulder...but with Cam, he could still show up and make it somewhat work with 80% of his stuff....Baker doesn't have that luxury.  And even Cam couldn't overcome in the end.