• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is baker the worst QB we have had?

Panthers Fan 69

Baker is playing worse than Sam Darnold.  Let that sink in. He needs to go along with PJ and Sam. The only thing left (if the team chooses to do so) is give Sam so game time in McAdoos offense. I would only do that if PJ can't go.

Baker should never have been signed in the first place.  This team as currently constructed was never going anywhere. I saw it coming from a mile away and I'm surprised that so many of you didn't. 

• The D 1

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

Standards. Thx to whomever posted it here but the average height for an NFL QB is 6'3" that happens to be the same for an NFL DT.

Teams get in trouble when they ignore those standards and bet on a guy who is massively undersized. Are there 6'1" DTs? Yes there are but they're below the average.

Matt Corral is listed at 6'2", an inch below the NFL average so to me that's a -.

My next question would be accuracy and skill and any intangibles (mobility, run threat, pocket awareness, pocket movement, IQ). 

Does Matt Corral have any intangibles to make up for, to me, below average NFL QB height? To me accuracy is above everything so Baker would automatically be scratched.

Matt Corral is an above average runner for a QB, I went back and looked at his college tapes and the guy actually trucked, CBs and LBs, fearless as a runner. Run threat.

Mobility? Corral is very accurate on the run, I actually can't wait to see him play some NFL games. That will be fun to watch. Play action is his forte.

Pocket awareness, pocket movement? Corral and PJ are very similar players. Corral is obviously taller and a much more physical, aggressive player in the open field but they can both stand in the pocket and navigate that area to buy time. Baker runs.

So put that all together Corral is probably a B+ in the NFL.

Nobody grades the same but that's where I'd start.

This is why MONTHS ago I said Levis was the best QB in this draft.

But Wilson was awesome in Seattle. I think Pete is just a great coach who can get the most from his QBs and Wilson made the mistake of thinking it was him who was good.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

maybe because it's still fresh in my mind, but baker is the worst.

i've never seen a qb look absolutely deer in headlights lost. sometimes i swear he seems surprised that the ball in his hands. it's like he has a ptsd episode at every snap.

i'd be shocked if he is in the nfl after this season.

• Poo 1

This thread is exhibit A in the case against "recency bias."

My vote would be Clausen, but largely because he was thought to be the answer when he was drafted.   Granted, he was rushed into service when Fox finally admitted Moore had his bell rung, but he was a product of the Notre Dame hype machine regardless.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Tbe said:

But Wilson was awesome in Seattle. I think Pete is just a great coach who can get the most from his QBs and Wilson made the mistake of thinking it was him who was good.

I think its a combination.  There's definitely a lot to that, but I think Russ has just fallen off a cliff athletically as well.  He's not that slippery anymore.  His trademark play has always been running in circles until he heaves up a prayer downfield like some kid in Madden on XBox Live.

Also, I would give Geno some credit.  Other QBs have played under Carroll in Seattle and have not been as good as Geno.  It's a combination of good coaching and good execution.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Baker is better than I remember Pickles being. Jimmy would just throw check downs the whole game no matter the situation, score, he didn't care.

Baker panics in the pocket, shuffles his feet around wildly, double pumps and releases on the second continuous pump motion, tilts his head back to the heavens on release if someone is coming into the pocket, and barely reads half the field if that. 

The maddening thing about Baker is that if he would calm down in the pocket, and be precise with his throwing motion we might have something. He actually has a good arm, and he's not as dumb as Darnold imo, but it's his pocket presence and form. 

With Jimmy I just thought he didn't even care one way of the other. Like he wasn't even studying film or anything. Just check it down and move on with life. I have this memory of Pickles throwing a deep pass to Smith maybe for a TD, and seeing Pickles gloat and celebrate with air pistols or something. I don't even know if that happened or it was some fever dream from 2010.

Edited by pantherj

7 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

These two statements do not compute.

Sure they do. Baker is mojoless and can't get the ball down the field. You watched the game, right?

Time to give Darnold a start. Well, might as well. He's the third QB in the room and the other two guys aren't doing it. Chances are he won't either, but you've got to roll the dice they hand you.

• Beer 1