• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My only concern with keeping Wilks as HC…

Cary Kollins

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

Defensive coaches do succeed in the NFL 

no different than offensive HCs that hire competent DCs

McDermott is a defensive example and Shanhan an offensive example

I cannot judge Wilkes on being conservative with this team given the poo show at QB and OC, none of his making 

McDermott was one of the best DCs before he joined Buffalo. We were never as good when he left. Wilks was one of those DCs. 

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I have to wonder if our head coach vacancy will generate a lot of great candidates with proven NFL success as a head coach who want to come here.  Otherwise how are they an obvious upgrade just because they are offensive minded.

My gut say that we will get mostly retreads tossing their hat in the ring. I have to admit recent events have peaked my interest in Reich.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

I like him. The players love him.

He's a good coach.

He won't take this team to the top. 

He's another Rivera. We don't need that.

We need better. Players love him, but they'll love winning even more 

I agree I love Wikes but I just don’t see him taking us to the next level unless he brings in a bad ass Offensive coordinator!?? Who would that be !?? McAdoo got to go!

14 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

Retreads at least have experience in all kinds of things a guy who has never been a HC wouldn’t have on his radar. 
Not to mention they are the guys who can put together an experienced staff. 

There's a difference between NFL assistant/position coaches that have been in the league for 5-10 years and a college guy like Rhule who's only connection was a retired Tom Coughlin from what was basically the equivalent of an internship 10 years ago

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

There's a difference between NFL assistant/position coaches that have been in the league for 5-10 years and a college guy like Rhule who's only connection was a retired Tom Coughlin from what was basically the equivalent of an internship 10 years ago

Retread as a category is loosely defined. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Tank said:

So Quinn bad (led Falcons to SB) but Wilks good (3-13 at Arizona).

PS I don’t want either 

You just made the point for a defensive minded HC without agreeing to it.  Quinn, a defensive minded HC, had a good OC when they went to the SB.  Atlanta failed to follow up with another good OC.

It's one or the other, it just depends on the owner.  Tepper seems to want a young offensive minded head coach.  Either way you are going to have to bring in a coordinator for your opposite skill set.

Does the new HC try to keep Wilks as a DC or maybe just Holcomb?  We assume he'll bring in a protégé for his OC.  If we go offensive HC, IMO you keep, at minimum, Holcomb.  The defense has played well considering our offense to be so anemic.  I think it would be foolish to start all over on the defensive side as well as the offense. 

My biggest concern with a "young" head coach (offensive or defensive) is, can he lead the team.  Can he get them to buy into his goals, can he motivate, can he be a leader and still get his offense into place?  We don't want to get into the carousel that the Lions and Jets have been doing for years and years.  Hiring and firing head coaches.  

I guess we'll see. 

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

As long as it's not Dan Quinn. As previously noted, a big issue with a defensive HC is if you do find a good OC they're going to get poached after a year or 2. 

I would personally rather have Dan Quinn than Wilks. And Quinn is pretty far down the list..,

Dorsey, Gannon, Kellen Moore, Ryans, Steichen all are better candidates. 

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You just made the point for a defensive minded HC without agreeing to it.  Quinn, a defensive minded HC, had a good OC when they went to the SB.  Atlanta failed to follow up with another good OC.

It's one or the other, it just depends on the owner.  Tepper seems to want a young offensive minded head coach.  Either way you are going to have to bring in a coordinator for your opposite skill set.

Does the new HC try to keep Wilks as a DC or maybe just Holcomb?  We assume he'll bring in a protégé for his OC.  If we go offensive HC, IMO you keep, at minimum, Holcomb.  The defense has played well considering our offense to be so anemic.  I think it would be foolish to start all over on the defensive side as well as the offense. 

My biggest concern with a "young" head coach (offensive or defensive) is, can he lead the team.  Can he get them to buy into his goals, can he motivate, can he be a leader and still get his offense into place?  We don't want to get into the carousel that the Lions and Jets have been doing for years and years.  Hiring and firing head coaches.  

I guess we'll see. 

Im just going off the general distain for Quinn and love for Wilks when they’re both defensive minded coaches. Quinn was much better at it than Wilks.

I want a Offensive minded coach with their own system where if we lose OCs over time it doesn’t affect us as much 

1 hour ago, Aussie Tank said:

Im just going off the general distain for Quinn and love for Wilks when they’re both defensive minded coaches. Quinn was much better at it than Wilks.

I want a Offensive minded coach with their own system where if we lose OCs over time it doesn’t affect us as much 

I agree but it is a double edge sword.  If you lose a good DC than you are in the same boat.  

60%-40% it's harder to find a good OC compared to a good DC.  Maybe 51%-49%