• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My only concern with keeping Wilks as HC…

Cary Kollins

31 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I agree but it is a double edge sword.  If you lose a good DC than you are in the same boat.  

60%-40% it's harder to find a good OC compared to a good DC.  Maybe 51%-49% 

I feel we need to pair and older ex HC as our DC. I believe it’s easier for middle of the range DC’s to field top units than OC’s Phil Snow and Holcomb for example 

51 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

I feel we need to pair and older ex HC as our DC. I believe it’s easier for middle of the range DC’s to field top units than OC’s Phil Snow and Holcomb for example 

I think Holcomb has done a pretty good job outside of the Cincinnati game.  We limited a pretty good Baltimore offense to 3 points until we turned the ball over in our own territory.

I wouldn't be upset if we retained him.  At least we would have some continuity on the defensive side. This gives the new HC more time to focus on the offense.

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think Holcomb has done a pretty good job outside of the Cincinnati game.  We limited a pretty good Baltimore offense to 3 points until we turned the ball over in our own territory.

I wouldn't be upset if we retained him.  At least we would have some continuity on the defensive side. This gives the new HC more time to focus on the offense.

Hes Wilks boy be pretty toxic keeping him and shipping Wilks. Same reason Snow had to go when Rhule got canned 

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

It seems Steve Wilks has all the qualities of an at least competent NFL HC. His influence in the way the team has played since Rhule’s firing speaks for itself. That said, speculation is Tepper wants an offensive minded head coach, something the Panthers have never had. I tend to agree this is the right approach, as today’s NFL is geared towards scoring. 

My main concern with keeping a defensive head coach is even if he’s highly successful, a carousel at the offensive coordinator job will be inevitable, and the offense will have to undergo major changes as OC’s come and go.

Is this a dumb way to look at it? 

Sounds about right to me on those thoughts. I guess it would be that way if Wilks were retained and we went the great offensive coordinator route as we all know the second they looked great some team will want him as their new head coach and in comes a new one.

10 minutes ago, jtm said:

Wilks is Ron Rivera 2.0. Not necessarily a bad thing, but we’ve all seen this movie. 

Everyone says Wilks cant get us to the next level. Yet if he is Rivera 2.0 then he is good enough to get us to the Super Bowl like Rivera did. We just need our Cam Newton.

Edited by panthers55

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Everyone says Wilks cant get us to the next level. Yet if he is Rivera 2.0 then he is good enough to get us to the Super Bowl like Rivera did. We just need our Cam Newton.

Ron Rivera benched an MVP over a tie and immediately got embarrassed by Derek Anderson. Sean McDermott was a huge part of our run of success in that time frame and the results after he left speak volumes. Raise the bar.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, frankw said:

Ron Rivera benched an MVP over a tie and immediately got embarrassed by Derek Anderson. Sean McDermott was a huge part of our run of success in that time frame and the results after he left speak volumes. Raise the bar.

Assuming these folks who are so great want to come here. Didnt see our name on Sean Payton's list for example.

34 minutes ago, frankw said:

So good he is getting the Commies to over .500 the first time in his 3 years by a game.

It's the safe space of mediocrity where fans can still believe they can win a SB but the reality is your team is the one the other one is excited to play because they know exactly who you are and what you will do if you can find enough magic to make 1 appearance.

3 winning seasons and this might be his 4th in 12 years of coaching. 

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Assuming these folks who are so great want to come here. Didnt see our name on Sean Payton's list for example.

Great! Nothing easy here except Tepper so maybe we can get a guy willing to dig in and do the dirty work of building a team up and not a guy looking for a vacant throne. No red flags there (/s)

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

So Quinn bad (led Falcons to SB) but Wilks good (3-13 at Arizona).

PS I don’t want either 

Not really as simple as this. The Falcons had one of the luckiest paths to the SB I've ever seen; got a bye with just 11 wins, had easy opponents. Also, Shanahan was really the reason for their success, their D was only good because of an insane number of takeaways which wasn't sustainable. Quinn is not SB winning HC material. Wilks isn't either in my opinion but I actually would like him more than Quinn if we had to pick between the 2. Agree though I don't want either. Grab the Eagles OC, Harbaugh or Payton.

• Pie 2