• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Payton Update

Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Chargers have one of the best young QBs in the game and they're a .500 team. They're 20-22 over the course of Herbert's career. One game over .500 last year. One and done on the playoffs blowing a 12 point 4th quarter lead at home.

Firing their coach wouldn't be shocking and would be fully expected if they had already worked out a deal behind the scenes with Sean Payton.

They will owe NO at least 2 first round picks though... 

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

Tepper is going to have a hard time getting anyone worth a sh*t to work with him

I may be in the minority but I had rather work for Tepper than Jerry Jones. The Spanos family appears to be squabbling over control of the team. I actually think if you won in Carolina you might have a reasonable amount of security as a coach. 

5 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

I think unless Staley and the Chargers make the playoffs he may be out.  Spanos isn't one to wait to make a change when he even has an inkling of the thought.

Payton would love to be in LA.  He'll like the weather and love all the attention.

Prescription pills are easier to obtain in LA for pill heads like Payton too so it would definitely work to his advantage to be out there.

8 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Schottenheimer was fired because he turned down the 1 year lame duck extension from Dean Spanos. They had bad blood between each other for the longest time. Coincidence for sure, but no reason to think Staley will get fired.  Staley had a winning season his first year as HC and is on pace to have another.  It would have to take an absolute bombing of the season for them to move on. Chargers lead the league in missed time due to  injuries to starting players, and he is still finding ways to win football games on both sides of the football.

Well, listening to different shows on ESPN, Staley's seat isn't exactly cool. It's some of his in-game decisions that's the issue, and the fact that the Chargers can't get over the hump despite talent on both sides of the ball.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

Well, listening to different shows on ESPN, Staley's seat isn't exactly cool. It's some of his in-game decisions that's the issue, and the fact that the Chargers can't get over the hump despite talent on both sides of the ball.

Staley had a bonehead call earlier in the season when they went for it on 4th and 3 with a little over a minute to go, instead of punting it. Ended up giving the team opposing team the ball in their territory. Luckily for Staley his defense got a turn over moments later. I know that was a talking point about Staley for weeks. I haven’t seen anything as “bold” since. 

to say that he can’t get over the hump is not really accurate here. He had a winning season last year and they .500 this year despite not having :

Bosa

Mike Williams

Keenan Allen

Rashawn Slater

JC Jackson

Darnell Parnham

Chris Covington

Otito Obgonnia

that doesn’t include Herbert playing with broken ribs. Staley has done a good job keeping that team together considering almost half of his starters have missed the majority of the season.