• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Graziano: Panthers interested in Frank Reich

TheSpecialJuan

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He was told he HAD to bench Ryan so they could look at Ehlinger who was terrible. 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2022/10/25/23422203/indianapolis-colts-sam-ehlinger-matt-ryan-scrambling

I listen to sports radio going into work every morning and when this went down, the guys speculated the same thing based off reports...that Ballard and Irsay got more heavily involved as the Colts struggled.  Matt Ryan's benching in favor of an unproven dude was almost assuredly not from Frank.  It's like they wanted into tank mode--"Seeing what Ehlinger has" so early in the season.  That's a move you make once you've been eliminated from the playoffs.  Once Frank was fired, and Irsay's best buddy Jeff Saturday was given a job he had zero qualifications for (the guys confirmed they are VERY, VERY TIGHT) Matt Ryan was immediately reinstated.

Yes, the Colts struggled this season, but unfortunately Reich slipped up just enough for Irsay to get his buddy the job.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I suspect Tepper and co are going to cast a wide net and the interview process will be quite lengthy. I’m hoping they’re using this time to narrow the field of candidates with Reich being among the those on a short list.

If they are, they're doing it quietly.

The official story right now is that they're not focusing on evaluating anybody but Steve Wilks.

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He did indeed mention it as an option in his presser, though the response was somewhat garbled so it was hard to make out exactly what he said 

To be clear though, never mentioned any changes or potential changes at GM.

Yeah, I dont recall him saying anything about replacing the GM. He did come up short on stating the Fitt will be the GM, but it was reported afterwards that Fitt does not have a warm seat. I expect Fitt, and outside council to be involved in the coaching search. 

22 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Good thing the Patriots didn't have that same attitude in 2000 about hiring retreads.  Remember, Belichick got axed by Cleveland...C-L-E-V-E-L-A-N-D.  Granted, Bill took a DC stint between those two jobs, but he was still a retread when he went to the Patriots.  Lots of examples of successful retreads.  The trick is finding the right one.  Conversely, TONS of example of first time HCs busting.

Pete Carroll was fired as HC of the Jets.

• Pie 1

The Colts look a lot worse without Eberflus running a top tier defense, I’ll say that much. They were a ground and pound team that played excellent defense the last couple seasons. The defense fell back to average without Eberflus their stud RB got hurt, and Matt Ryan is too old and sucks to overcome that. 

That said I don’t think Reich should have been fired mid season and the Colts are dumb. 

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Good thing the Patriots didn't have that same attitude in 2000 about hiring retreads.  Remember, Belichick got axed by Cleveland...C-L-E-V-E-L-A-N-D.  Granted, Bill took a DC stint between those two jobs, but he was still a retread when he went to the Patriots.  Lots of examples of successful retreads.  The trick is finding the right one.  Conversely, TONS of example of first time HCs busting.

43 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Pete Carroll was fired as HC of the Jets.

38 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Dick Vermiel too.  Heck he took 15 years off between coaching stints.

So whoever hires Rhule next...  Bored The Office GIF

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

So whoever hires Rhule next...  Bored The Office GIF

Or we could hire another greenhorn HC and duplicate Rhule's results.  Rhule may do well with another COLLEGE HC gig, but he's not cut out for the NFL like so many college coaches before him.  Back in the day (pre-1990's) there wasn't such a huge divide between college and the NFL in terms of coaching.  Now college HCs are brand salesmen, promoters, marketers, recruiters...much more so than top-notch X's and O's guys.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Or we could hire another greenhorn HC and duplicate Rhule's results.  Rhule may do well with another COLLEGE HC gig, but he's not cut out for the NFL like so many college coaches before him.  Back in the day (pre-1990's) there wasn't such a huge divide between college and the NFL in terms of coaching.  Now college HCs are brand salesmen, promoters, marketers, recruiters...much more so than top-notch X's and O's guys.

i was trying to use the gif as humor/sarcasm. I guess it didnt land.

Just now, TheCasillas said:

i was trying to use the gif as humor/sarcasm. I guess it didnt land.

No worries, I thought you may have been going the sarcastic route, but the post wasn't oozing with ridiculousness enough for me to be completely certain.

Anyway, I was wanting to put it out there that any college coaches should be crossed of the list this hiring cycle for the Panthers.  So, there's that...you just opened the door if even unintentionally.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

No worries, I thought you may have been going the sarcastic route, but the post wasn't oozing with ridiculousness enough for me to be completely certain.

Anyway, I was wanting to put it out there that any college coaches should be crossed of the list this hiring cycle for the Panthers.  So, there's that...you just opened the door if even unintentionally.

you do bring up a good point about the new breed of college coaches though. I think the new pay system for college players will spread this breed like a wild fire. You look at coaches like Franklin PSU.... god awful game day coach but a hell of a recruiter. 

I think great coaches at the college level exists... but i dont see them as frequent as we once did. The only ocach that I think is NFL capable at the college level is Lane Kiffin. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

you do bring up a good point about the new breed of college coaches though. I think the new pay system for college players will spread this breed like a wild fire. You look at coaches like Franklin PSU.... god awful game day coach but a hell of a recruiter. 

I think great coaches at the college level exists... but i dont see them as frequent as we once did. The only ocach that I think is NFL capable at the college level is Lane Kiffin. 

His dad Monte was a coaching legend.  So, I could see that, but Lane hasn't gone without his own share of bumps in road.