• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who do we fire. What should we change.

Panthers Fan 69

2 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Word going around from some of the folks that work close to the locker room said Rod was extremely animated and very upset after the game last night. Expect some big changes tomorrow or by Saturday. 

Good. He should be. But he also needs to reflect inwards. Ya we don’t have the best crew currently…. And I’m not waiting on Max to fix suddenly, But. 

• Pie 2

We miss Tro and Nino - more than the Committee thought we would.  I especially think not re-signing Nino was a mistake, we could have matched that contract that Nashville gave him.  We may have had to get creative, but we could have.

KK started the season pretty well but has fallen off the last 7 or so games.  They bet pretty big on him and so far it hasn't been good.  If he is a bust we have an albatross of a contract because he is getting paid 2nd line money and producing more like a low 3rd or 4th line center.

The slow start for Turbo didn't help and his injury hasn't helped the team at all.  It has Rod shaking up the lines which I thought were pretty solid as the season started:

Teuvo Teravainen - Sebastian Aho - Seth Jarvis
Andrei Svechnikov - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Martin Necas
Paul Stastny - Jordan Staal - Jesper Fast
Jordan Martinook - Derek Stepan - Stefan Noesen  (Note I wanted to see Drury play instead of Marty as he needs to gain NHL experience, and our current situation shows this)

The above was the starting O vs. the Kraken and it makes sense.  You have Aho centering Turbo and Seth.  Turbo sees the ice well, passes well, and has a laser of a shot.  Aho is Aho, he can pretty much do it all.  Seth at this point is a pure sniper in my opinion.  He is young and still learning, doesn't see the ice as well.

Second line is roughly the same principle:  KK sees the ice well, but is not the scoring threat that Aho is.  He's there to get the puck to Svech and Necas who both have cannons to score.  Like Turbo, Necas is also a great passer and sees the ice well....in fact he's played that role better than Turbo this year.

Third line is what it always has been with Staal at center and Fast playing on his wing.  In my opinion we didn't replace Nino with anyone we signed so you have Stastny who has good hockey IQ playing there.  Stastny isn't as fast as Nino, isn't as physical as Nino, and doesn't really play in front of the net at all trying to get those dirty goals.  Also, Stastny's natural position is center which doesn't help here.  We lost a scoring threat for the Third Line when we let Nino walk.

The Fourth line is again what we've always rolled with:  bring energy, work hard, change the flow of the game with the least amount of shifts.  Stepan is fine as the center here and the injury to Kase really changed things as Noesen was put into a long term NHL starting gig for the first time.  Marty is Marty, I really thought either Noesen or Drury should have started ahead of him so they could get NHL minutes and see if they could hang.  Rod chose Marty and as always Marty has played hard.  Rod trusts Marty and obviously doesn't think Drury is ready.

The D hasn't been as good.  I don't think Burns is as dynamic as we thought he was and it doesn't look like Slavin and him have good chemistry.  I didn't think I would be saying this either, but the loss of de Haan exposed our 3rd line as a little weak.  Coghlan hasn't really shown that "two way" skill yet and isn't as sound as Chatfield defensively.  Really though the biggest problem is Burns....if he doesn't wake up and start playing like we thought he could this season might not be what the fans were looking forward to.

Finally, Freddie hasn't been last year's Freddie and got hurt (again).  Raanta is who we thought he was.  Koochie is playing well so far, but our D and forwards have let him down.

tl, dr:  The Canes didn't do as well in Free Agency, and trades as they thought.  Injuries have hurt.  We are discombobulated and I don't think it's going to get better until we get healthy and Burns pulls his head out of his arse.

Edited by Rocky Davis
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Davis said:

We miss Tro and Nino - more than the Committee thought we would.  I especially think not re-signing Nino was a mistake, we could have matched that contract that Nashville gave him.  We may have had to get creative, but we could have.

KK started the season pretty well but has fallen off the last 7 or so games.  They bet pretty big on him and so far it hasn't been good.  If he is a bust we have an albatross of a contract because he is getting paid 2nd line money and producing more like a low 3rd or 4th line center.

The slow start for Turbo didn't help and his injury hasn't helped the team at all.  It has Rod shaking up the lines which I thought were pretty solid as the season started:

Teuvo Teravainen - Sebastian Aho - Seth Jarvis
Andrei Svechnikov - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Martin Necas
Paul Stastny - Jordan Staal - Jesper Fast
Jordan Martinook - Derek Stepan - Stefan Noesen  (Note I wanted to see Drury play instead of Marty as he needs to gain NHL experience, and our current situation shows this)

The above was the starting O vs. the Kraken and it makes sense.  You have Aho centering Turbo and Seth.  Turbo sees the ice well, passes well, and has a laser of a shot.  Aho is Aho, he can pretty much do it all.  Seth at this point is a pure sniper in my opinion.  He is young and still learning, doesn't see the ice as well.

Second line is roughly the same principle:  KK sees the ice well, but is not the scoring threat that Aho is.  He's there to get the puck to Svech and Necas who both have cannons to score.  Like Turbo, Necas is also a great passer and sees the ice well....in fact he's played that role better than Turbo this year.

Third line is what it always has been with Staal at center and Fast playing on his wing.  In my opinion we didn't replace Nino with anyone we signed so you have Stastny who has good hockey IQ playing there.  Stastny isn't as fast as Nino, isn't as physical as Nino, and doesn't really play in front of the net at all trying to get those dirty goals.  Also, Stastny's natural position is center which doesn't help here.  We lost a scoring threat for the Third Line when we let Nino walk.

The Fourth line is again what we've always rolled with:  bring energy, work hard, change the flow of the game with the least amount of shifts.  Stepan is fine as the center here and the injury to Kase really changed things as Noesen was put into a long term NHL starting gig for the first time.  Marty is Marty, I really thought either Noesen or Drury should have started ahead of him so they could get NHL minutes and see if they could hang.  Rod chose Marty and as always Marty has played hard.  Rod trusts Marty and obviously doesn't think Drury is ready.

The D hasn't been as good.  I don't think Burns is as dynamic as we thought he was and it doesn't look like Slavin and him have good chemistry.  I didn't think I would be saying this either, but the loss of de Haan exposed our 3rd line as a little weak.  Coghlan hasn't really shown that "two way" skill yet and isn't as sound as Chatfield defensively.  Really though the biggest problem is Burns....if he doesn't wake up and start playing like we thought he could this season might not be what the fans were looking forward to.

Finally, Freddie hasn't been last year's Freddie and got hurt (again).  Raanta is who we thought he was.  Koochie is playing well so far, but our D and forwards have let him down.

tl, dr:  The Canes didn't do as well in Free Agency, and trades as they thought.  Injuries have hurt.  We are discombobulated and I don't think it's going to get better until we get healthy and Burns pulls his head out of his arse.

I mean you nailed it. Nailed all of it. 

I’ll add with the good news. 
1.  Turbo will be back. He does see the ice well and the team just works around him. 
2.  Max. Instant offense incoming. 
3.  Still very early and in a playoff spot. 
4. Koochie. We have our goalie for the future and it’s now. 
5. Waddell and Dundon know we are in a window. They are a big reason if not the biggest we are where we have been over the last 4 years. They will bring players in via trade if they have too. 

Lastly. Rod. He will figure it out. He didn’t become one of the best canes ever and win a cup by resting on his laurels.   Guy is a future HOF.  

the night is darkest before the dawn. Let’s get an upset win tmrw and do it again Saturday. I have a good feeling boys….

Edited by Panthers Fan 69
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

I think it’s clear as day that Trocheck Nino bear and Tony DeAngelo were better than whatever poo we have on the ice right now that replaced them

We shouldve kept Nino and Tony. They were easily retainable. I think they got rid of a lot of chemistry in the offseason. That is solely on the coaches and FO.

• Pie 2