• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule contract offset

NAS

11 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Man my ass would have stayed home and collected a check

I thought the same thing at first, but now seeing the details of the contract, I can definitely understand him taking the offer. He's getting almost $40 million more to coach Nebraska. For the 8 years, that is nearly $5 million per year in new money. You could decide to sit on your ass for 4 years and then see if you can get a coaching gig after the Panthers money dries up, but how certain are you that teams are going to be clamoring for someone who hasn't coached in any capacity for 4 years and is 7 years removed from college? So it basically boils down to whether you're comfortable retiring at age 47 and living off your previous earnings for the rest of your life. Obviously that's easy to do, but if you love coaching and can make $40 million to do it, it's almost an easy decision. And that's not even mentioning the chance to erase the stink of your last putrid coaching performance. 

• Beer 3

9 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I thought the same thing at first, but now seeing the details of the contract, I can definitely understand him taking the offer. He's getting almost $40 million more to coach Nebraska. For the 8 years, that is nearly $5 million per year in new money. You could decide to sit on your ass for 4 years and then see if you can get a coaching gig after the Panthers money dries up, but how certain are you that teams are going to be clamoring for someone who hasn't coached in any capacity for 4 years and is 7 years removed from college? So it basically boils down to whether you're comfortable retiring at age 47 and living off your previous earnings for the rest of your life. Obviously that's easy to do, but if you love coaching and can make $40 million to do it, it's almost an easy decision. And that's not even mentioning the chance to erase the stink of your last putrid coaching performance. 

Yeah, people keep saying, "sit at home and take the money," but you have to think about the future too.  Matt Rhule is a good college coach, but he isn't THAT good the point where he could sit out for 2-3 years and not hurt himself tremendously.  You would be hurting your future earnings because schools won't be as interested 3 years from now and he will be asked endlessly why he didn't seek out a new job.  If he says "well I wanted to stay home and take the easy money," a school will think negatively of that.  

Besides, while it is easy to tell someone to sit at home and do nothing... for the people that say that, have you had a job and then got laid off or quit and just done nothing for a few months?  It sucks.  It sounds good in theory but it can get boring real fast.  At least for me and a lot of people I know.  Not to mention it isn't good for your mental health (over-working can be bad too, which is why you have to find a balance).  Say what you want about Rhule but he clearly loves coaching and is passionate about it.  I'm pretty sure he'd rather work and do what he loves than sit around at home.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That was strange at the time.  Rumor was both Kingsbury and Murray were in some hot water there, and then they were both extended. 

I would not be at all surprised to see Kingsbury sent packing after the season.  Disappointing does not do their 2022 results any justice.

How either of them got paid after that playoff loss last season I will never understand. Obviously not it at HC or QB

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

No, Nebraska’s problem now.  The offset shows someone was thinking ahead, in the event Rhule was fired.  Now, it is no longer Tepper’s problem.

We still shoulder the burden of full time replacement.  Hence: Teppers problem

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Could be worse...

Again, college coaches in the modern era completely flop in the NFL.  Let that be a lesson.  Kingsbury WAS the only one that was at least enjoying a modest amount of success, but even that seems to be waning.

Jimmy Johnson was the last one to make the first-time transition from college to the NFL a success. That's been over 30 years ago.

Edited by 45catfan