• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russ

Mr. Scot

34 minutes ago, 1989 said:

I just don’t like him cause he was always hard to beat when he was with Seattle. Strictly football related.

can’t deny he’s a cringy guy but that doesn’t cause a dislike for him on my pet. 

I think he’s the most frustrating QB to play against since Vick. He seemed to throw these lobs that were always in the perfect spot. Drove me nuts. 

there isn’t really anything substantial that I have read that says he’s a bad guy. The Hawks always gave him a poo line too just like Cam. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Donald LaFell said:

I think he’s the most frustrating QB to play against since Vick. He seemed to throw these lobs that were always in the perfect spot. Drove me nuts. 

there isn’t really anything substantial that I have read that says he’s a bad guy. The Hawks always gave him a poo line too just like Cam. 

Every single former Seahawks player seems to dislike him so maybe you missed that. I guess "bad" is subjective, but I'd prefer a QB that I could directly call or text without going through their manager

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Every single former Seahawks player seems to dislike him so maybe you missed that. I guess "bad" is subjective, but I'd prefer a QB that I could directly call or text without going through their manager

Based on what’s happened in Denver, I think Pete Carroll should be considered one of the best coaches in league history for keeping that train wreck together for so long and even winning a super bowl that should have been two. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

His current teammates don't exactly seem to be his biggest fans either.

I truly believe Russ will be the first QB in NFL history to get beat up by his teammates during the course of a NFL game on the sidelines. You have to be genuine as a leader and he's one of the phoniest people ever based on everything you read and hear. 

I always thought Wilson was one of the luckiest QBs in the history of the NFL. It seems like every time he needed to make a play he would pull a horseshoe out of his anus and make the exact play they needed. Happened so many times over the years. 

My thoughts - his luck has finally run out. 

• Pie 3

14 hours ago, Cam Lawter said:

Still waiting on someone to give me evidence that Russ is "phony".

Looks like to me no one has any and never did.

This article from a few years ago talks about how the seahawks never formed a dynasty, and at the heart of it was the way that Wilson received special treatment:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/07/seattle-seahawks-dismantling-rift-russell-wilson-pete-carroll

The dismantling of a great defense dates back to one random 2014 practice, which ESPN first reported last summer as a catalyst for the Seahawks’ rift. That afternoon, Sherman intercepted Wilson, the two traded words and Sherman yelled “you f------ suck” as he flipped the ball back at the quarterback.

The pick itself wasn’t as important as what happened afterward, when several players who spoke to SI said Carroll gathered his offensive and defensive leaders and told them they needed to protect Wilson, to treat him more gently than they would their other teammates. Those same players had been indoctrinated into the NFL the exact way they were trying to teach Wilson, with merciless competition as the way to bring out the best in each other, by never letting a lapse slide, by talking s--- after interceptions, even in practice. In the meeting, they told Carroll exactly that. “This is making him one of our own,” one player said, while several others nodded, according to two who were in the room. “He’s got to go through the process.”

No, Carroll told them. Not Wilson. “He protected him,” one Seahawk says. “And we hated that. Any time he f----- up, Pete would never say anything. Not in a team meeting, not publicly, never. If Russ had a terrible game, he would always talk about how resilient he was. We’re like, what the f--- are you talking about?”

This article from the offseason goes into some good detail:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34531802/inside-russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-drama-led-denver-broncos-trade

A few nuggets:

People at the heart of the Wilson-Seahawks breakup -- including those close to the quarterback and members of Seattle's front office, coaching staff and players -- described to ESPN how a dysfunctional situation built toward its eventual breaking point. Wilson wanted out, believing coach Pete Carroll and the organization were holding him back. And with their own misgivings about how his game was aging, the Seahawks lost faith in Wilson, just as he had lost faith in them.

"From my vantage point," said former Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin, a teammate of Wilson's for seven seasons, "the divorce was inevitable and was many years in the making. The reasons are multiple, but ultimately, I think it comes down to a difference of pursuits."

Afterward, according to a source who spoke with the quarterback, Wilson was livid at how Carroll had taken his foot off the gas, believing it had cost him a chance to grab hold of the MVP race.

Wilson would find himself back in the early-season MVP conversation a year later. The Seahawks went into the 2020 campaign with the plan to lean more on Wilson's arm, much to the delight of the quarterback and fans who had backed "Let Russ Cook," a social media movement and catchphrase that Wilson would later trademark for charitable purposes.

"I don't want a vote," Wilson said, alluding to the fact he hasn't received any in his career. "I think more importantly, I want to win. Obviously, MVP is a special award."

One of Wilson's seven interceptions in that stretch came in a loss at the Los Angeles Rams in Week 10. Trailing by a touchdown, he scrambled to his right and had a massive swath of empty turf in front of him. He bypassed the rushing yards, uncorking a deep heave back across the field that was picked off in the end zone.

"What are we doing here?" one source in the Seahawks' front office remembers thinking at the time. "Are we trying to win games or are we trying to win MVP?"

The rest goes on to explain how he was talking out of both sides of his mouth about loving seattle and trying to be traded at the same time. Very Two-faced behavior. 

Other examples:

^ Wilson can't be reached directly from his teammates, they have to go through his manager

• The whole "Broncos country, Let's ride" thing all season and how unauthentic and manufactured it seems. 
  • Mr. Unlimited:
  • When he was injured last year, he made sure all the cameras were on him and saw him working out before games and then he made sure he stood by Pete Carroll all game so they could see him. 
  • His outwardly Christian persona also seems to rub people the wrong way since he makes it a known part of his identity. Instead of walking the walk, he makes sure to talk about all the walking he does with it, if that makes sense?
  • His Toxic Positivity also seems to be an issue. The fact that he's always "Up" and never shows any outward signs of frustration/emotion, and is always being "Rah Rah" makes him seem robotic and not human. 
  • His overall lack of self awareness.

I saw a Seahawk fan describe Wilson as "A walking brand". Everything he says and does feels so calculated, unauthentic, and scripted. He's not a bad person, by any means, he just seems to be fake, corny, and attention seeking while acting like he's not. 

I don't personally hate Rus, I just think he has a large Ego, pretends that he doesn't, and isn't as good as he thinks he is. He's also a little bit weird and robotic. 

• Pie 7

15 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I always thought Wilson was one of the luckiest QBs in the history of the NFL. It seems like every time he needed to make a play he would pull a horseshoe out of his anus and make the exact play they needed. Happened so many times over the years. 

This right here and his complete douche nozzle behavior is why I hate him. Never wanted him and his fug it chuck it football here. Luckiest qb I've ever seen

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

This article from a few years ago talks about how the seahawks never formed a dynasty, and at the heart of it was the way that Wilson received special treatment:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/07/seattle-seahawks-dismantling-rift-russell-wilson-pete-carroll

This article from the offseason goes into some good detail:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34531802/inside-russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-drama-led-denver-broncos-trade

A few nuggets:

The rest goes on to explain how he was talking out of both sides of his mouth about loving seattle and trying to be traded at the same time. Very Two-faced behavior. 

Other examples:

^ Wilson can't be reached directly from his teammates, they have to go through his manager

• The whole "Broncos country, Let's ride" thing all season and how unauthentic and manufactured it seems. 
  • Mr. Unlimited:
  • When he was injured last year, he made sure all the cameras were on him and saw him working out before games and then he made sure he stood by Pete Carroll all game so they could see him. 
  • His outwardly Christian persona also seems to rub people the wrong way since he makes it a known part of his identity. Instead of walking the walk, he makes sure to talk about all the walking he does with it, if that makes sense?
  • His Toxic Positivity also seems to be an issue. The fact that he's always "Up" and never shows any outward signs of frustration/emotion, and is always being "Rah Rah" makes him seem robotic and not human. 
  • His overall lack of self awareness.

I saw a Seahawk fan describe Wilson as "A walking brand". Everything he says and does feels so calculated, unauthentic, and scripted. He's not a bad person, by any means, he just seems to be fake, corny, and attention seeking while acting like he's not. 

I don't personally hate Rus, I just think he has a large Ego, pretends that he doesn't, and isn't as good as he thinks he is. He's also a little bit weird and robotic. 

I'm sure he's a nice guy and says and does "all the right things", but i think that what people are seeing is that he has worked hard to make sure that this is all that people see and he works hard to keep that identity. and when you have to work hard to reinforce an identity, no matter how genuine it may have been at one point, it becomes artificial, forced, and contrived. 

his identity as a nice guy became his brand, but eventually that brand overtook him and the result is this really weird persona that is hard for anyone to identify with or connect to. more than that, he's made himself almost inaccessible to his teammates.

i don't think that people dislike him because he's a nice guy. there's nothing wrong with being one of the nice guys. in fact we need more authentically nice guys...which i think is where part of the problem is, he doesn't come across as authentic anymore. he comes across as someone who is trying to be better and above everyone, which rubs people the wrong way.

and he's kind of weird/odd...and not in a good way. 

add to all that, that wilson apparently was coddled in a huge and unhealthy way, unhealthy way for him because it took away any opportunities for personal growth and unhealthy for a team because it set him apart as the ultimate teachers pet...the one in which the world revolved around and who was not held accountable for anything.

the problem was that it worked...until it didn't anymore. they were able to remain competitive for a long time with that wilson centered culture. and then they weren't. wilson started seeing a world in seattle that didn't revolve around him so he thought, since he was so special, that he could go anywhere and they would automatically appreciate him. well, he went "anywhere" and he's seeing that the world isn't any better there. i'm just curious to hear where he places the blame fir the failure there. hopefully he's realizing that he's not as special as he thought.

• Beer 3

28 minutes ago, hepcat said:

this is what i have been saying for years. 

he was good, but he was also luckier than any QB out there. guy could be running around all over the backfield scrambling to get away from the pressure and then start falling down and just launch the ball up in the air from anywhere to anywhere and there would miraculously be a WR right there making what looks like an incredible catch of a crazy throw and it happened so often that wilson got known as being this incredible QB.

i thin that his WRs just got used to the idea early on that they needed to always be ready for an unexpected ball coming their way at unpredictable times and that kind of became their culture. 

he doesn't have that anymore. he ain't in seattle anymore. he walked away from his security blankets and he's been exposed.

38 minutes ago, hepcat said:

He was on a magic carpet ride.  Until his second Super Bowl almost everything went his way in the most bizarre, crazy ways imaginable.  It was infuriating to always lose to him.  The Seahawks would always get a perfectly timed fumble, Cam would inexplicably one-hop a pass at the receiver's feet two yards into the end zone, and of course Russ would throw a prayer off his back foot while getting gang tackled and it would bounce off three defenders and get lodged in the WR's ass for a touchdown at the end line.

The 2 point conversion play against Green Bay in (I think) the 2014 playoffs was the most bullshit thing I've ever seen.  He runs to the far side of the field and just chucks it to the complete opposite end of the field near the goal line.  It was like a 2 yard pass play that traveled 50 yards in the air.  iirc the guy was double covered and he just hopped up and grabbed it while falling backwards into the end zone.

For a while there it seemed we played Seattle every year.  And while Wilson was lucky he was also damn good.

In our 2018 game at home he answered every scoring drive we put up and you just had the feeling he was going to make every big play happen, and he did.  Then he totally spanked us in 2019 at home.

I don't like him and never did but piling on now seems cheap.  He's a fake but he's a consistent fake. 

But his play on the field has just recently dropped and he could easily bounce back.  Even yesterday his receivers and pass protection sucked as much or worse than he did.  Lots of drops and questionable routes to go with some turnstile blocking.

32 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'm sure he's a nice guy and says and does "all the right things", but i think that what people are seeing is that he has worked hard to make sure that this is all that people see and he works hard to keep that identity. and when you have to work hard to reinforce an identity, no matter how genuine it may have been at one point, it becomes artificial, forced, and contrived. 

his identity as a nice guy became his brand, but eventually that brand overtook him and the result is this really weird persona that is hard for anyone to identify with or connect to. more than that, he's made himself almost inaccessible to his teammates.

i don't think that people dislike him because he's a nice guy. there's nothing wrong with being one of the nice guys. in fact we need more authentically nice guys...which i think is where part of the problem is, he doesn't come across as authentic anymore. he comes across as someone who is trying to be better and above everyone, which rubs people the wrong way.

and he's kind of weird/odd...and not in a good way. 

add to all that, that wilson apparently was coddled in a huge and unhealthy way, unhealthy way for him because it took away any opportunities for personal growth and unhealthy for a team because it set him apart as the ultimate teachers pet...the one in which the world revolved around and who was not held accountable for anything.

the problem was that it worked...until it didn't anymore. they were able to remain competitive for a long time with that wilson centered culture. and then they weren't. wilson started seeing a world in seattle that didn't revolve around him so he thought, since he was so special, that he could go anywhere and they would automatically appreciate him. well, he went "anywhere" and he's seeing that the world isn't any better there. i'm just curious to hear where he places the blame fir the failure there. hopefully he's realizing that he's not as special as he thought.

I think that's a big problem with a lot of people that get far too caught up in religiosity(not wholly blaming this, BTW). Their "niceness" seems disingenuous and typically is. 

Have met a bunch of these types over the years. Usually they have things bubbling under the surface, although some are quite genuine.