• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All aboard the Wilks Wagon

Zod

17 minutes ago, Icege said:

Wilks is clearly leading the team and bringing back the culture that fans know and love. The defense is playing well, the team as a whole seems galvanized, and they're finding ways to win or at least keep games close with the exception of the Bengals beatdown.

I wouldn't hate the hire. The big question mark for me is going to be the offense. Campen has earned his job as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilks bring over Cameron Turner from Arizona. Turner is a former QB/WR for The Citadel that was an assistant WR coach for the Panthers from 2015 - 2016 and the assistant QB coach in 2017. He followed Wilks out to Arizona as an offensive assistant (2018), assistant QB coach (2019), assistant QB coach + offensive assistant (2020), QB coach (2021), and is now the QB coach/co-passing game coordinator. He's also Norv Turner's nephew, Scott Turner's cousin. It would fit given Wilks' background in SD + CAR with Ron. 😮

This would make sense. The resignation of Dave Shaw from Stanford is also interesting. Would he be worth considering by Wilks since he has NFL experience on offense and a native to boot? 

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'd rather have another year of Wilks while we await our freedom of 2024 cap space. Wilks has the culture in the right direction, he deserves a full offseason. I know people want a great OC as head coach but calling good plays doesn't have anything to do with managing a room of 53 grown men. If Wilks can get a legit OC and let him do his thing I'm down with it. The players love him even though he holds them accountable, no one is playing half assed like the Rhule era

The thing about NFL HC is the job is so different than an OC or DC job that it can negate the talent of a coordinator, or inhibit the talent from being applied by that individual. 
IOW you taking the main asset that person has, that attracted you in the first place, and putting it under a thick layer of unrelated poo that will likely obscure it. 

They are just two very different jobs. 

And, if you go with the trends, you are a follower not an innovator.

Something to slow down the young offensive-genius-bandwagon-trend -following and consider. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1

So some want wilks because you don’t want to take a “chance” on another head coach. But have stated that he’d need a great OC. What are the chances we land a good/great HC (Only 32 jobs, candidates get it when one is open) vs. wilks chances of getting an all-star OC that we likely lose IF we do land him/her. 

I do believe we could do worse than wilks. But we can definitely do better. 

Not specifically for Wilkes but addressing the OC aspect where people say you get a great OC he is gone to be a HC… Or DC  like when we lost McD it hurt a lot too. More than losing Chud for instance. Surely more than losing Turner. Anyhow…

I think before I hired a guy I would be sure to make some kind of agreement in advance of this anticipated situation, that would protect the team. 
Like, you can’t take the entire O staff with you to be your OC and staff. Deal breaker. 

Negotiate that stuff. One pick for them to take and it can’t be the guy you would promote to his now old job. Or specify who on the staff is fair game and who isn’t. 
Figure something out that is agreeable to both parties and proceed. 

If it is Wilks I'd be fine with that as right now who out there is worth a risk aside from Reich, just because an OC may be available, that doesn't mean they are a fit to come in and be the head coach. 

We all know Wilks got the short end in ARI, and he did well enough as a DC to get a HC opportunity even if short lived. 

You have LeFleur our here stinking it up with Rodgers, Kingsbury stinking it up with Kyler, McVay and the Rams and their struggles even when they were healthy, we've now seen a guy in McDaniels struggle two separate times, etc.

We could look at the success in MIA, and in MIN, then you have to consider the ROSTER those teams have which are as good a roster as anyone, both with QBs most considered average with first year coaches with offensive backgrounds.  

There's more to this than just getting an ''offensive'' minded guy, can he lead a group of grown men and get the most out of them as well. 

You can avoid the offensive changes by having a succession plan in place for the OC. 

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

With guys like, PJ, Sam, and Baker...not like we are trotting out a world beater on offense. 

Both teams just couldn't stop the run.  It's not like he went outside the box to "outcoach" either struggling franchise.  Baker hasn't looked any better, PJ was just as streaky, and now Sam was 11/19 which somehow means he was great?  We need a coach that can develop young QBs be it Corral or our rookie.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Firmly on the Wilks train. Going beyond just what the record is right now, the team has done a 180 in terms of how they play. We were looking as soft as the Saints of old on D and it's very worrisome during Rhules time. Now the players play like they care again and that alone has been refreshing. Gimme a good to great OC to pair and watch this team get something they have always lacked, a bit of consistency.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We need a coach that can develop young QBs be it Corral or our rookie.  

This was a topic in a thread on the huddle in the offseason. HC does not develop QBs... QB/OC coaches do. There can not be a thought process in the world that thinks that HC has enough time to build and manage a team while also mentoring and fostering a young QB. 

This is why franchises hire "QB gurus" when they draft young talent for their rosters. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, SetfreexX said:

If it is Wilks I'd be fine with that as right now who out there is worth a risk aside from Reich, just because an OC may be available, that doesn't mean they are a fit to come in and be the head coach. 

We all know Wilks got the short end in ARI, and he did well enough as a DC to get a HC opportunity even if short lived. 

You have LeFleur our here stinking it up with Rodgers, Kingsbury stinking it up with Kyler, McVay and the Rams and their struggles even when they were healthy, we've now seen a guy in McDaniels struggle two separate times, etc.

We could look at the success in MIA, and in MIN, then you have to consider the ROSTER those teams have which are as good a roster as anyone, both with QBs most considered average with first year coaches with offensive backgrounds.  

There's more to this than just getting an ''offensive'' minded guy, can he lead a group of grown men and get the most out of them as well. 

You can avoid the offensive changes by having a succession plan in place for the OC. 

I'm looking more for a guy that can develop a young QB.  Jim Harbaugh did it well with Colin K, Pep Hamilton has done with with Luck (at Stanford and the Colts) and Herbert, The Eagles OC is doing it with Hurts, Lions OC has revived Goff, and the Seahawks OC has revived Geno.  

If we are convinced we want a defensive guy (which I am against), DeMeco Ryans should be the target.  But we will have trouble sustaining a successful offense because the good OCs get plucked away.

Just now, TheCasillas said:

This was a topic in a thread on the huddle in the offseason. HC does not develop QBs... QB/OC coaches do. There can not be a thought process in the world that thinks that HC has enough time to build and manage a team while also mentoring and fostering a young QB. 

This is why franchises hire "QB gurus" when they draft young talent for their rosters. 

They know what to look for in QB development and how to help them succeed.  It's no coincidence that Tua looks 10x better with McDaniel than he even did with Flores (even when healthy) and Flores was a good coach IMO.  Eagles HC is also an offensive guy and Hurts is developing well under his watch.  Of course there is always Reid and Mahomes.  Look at Colin K with and without Harbaugh. They know what system they want, what players they need, and the right people to hire to help a young QB (of their choice) to develop. I understand what you are saying in the fact that they aren't meeting with the QB and watching every snap of his practice, but they definitely have a part in the development of the potential franchise QB.  

Sustainability helps a lot too.  I think Allen has come back down to Earth a little because Daboll left and he was peaking at the end of last season.  Which also reminds me Daniel Jones (while still not great) is looking better with Daboll as his HC.