• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All aboard the Wilks Wagon

Zod

For all you guys advocating making wilks the head guy this is a must listen from our boy ellis.   The bust rate on going from interim to full time head coach is at least 90%.  Listen here about 40 minutes and they go through the history of interim to full.  Its not pretty

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9IcXp4YjNkNQ/episode/MTFjMjdjMTYtNzA0OS0xMWVkLTkyNmQtY2JkNDZiMzQxMzAw?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwi5ppqHkNb7AhUxlWoFHR5aCPQQjrkEegQIIRAF&ep=6

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

For all you guys advocating making wilks the head guy this is a must listen from our boy ellis.   The bust rate on going from interim to full time head coach is at least 90%.  Listen here about 40 minutes and they go through the history of interim to full.  Its not pretty

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9IcXp4YjNkNQ/episode/MTFjMjdjMTYtNzA0OS0xMWVkLTkyNmQtY2JkNDZiMzQxMzAw?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwi5ppqHkNb7AhUxlWoFHR5aCPQQjrkEegQIIRAF&ep=6

I mean it makes sense without even listening.  The players had given up on Rhule and his system/strategy because it was obviously not working against other coaches.  A new guy steps in with some experience in the league and they will buy in and are excited to have something different that the previous ineffective system.  If he is the guy next year he will have to do more than simply motivate his guys, he will have to "outcoach" his competition and make adjustments when needed.  That's a whole different thing than lighting a fire under these guys who were tired of Rhule.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

On 11/27/2022 at 6:56 PM, RumHam said:

If we win out with darnold and get in at 9-8, both need to be here next year

If the Panthers only have one more loss by seasons end, I would be more than comfortable with them retaining  Wilks as head coach and keeping Darnold as the starter or backup quarterback.

https://theathletic.com/podcast/211-the-athletic-football-show/?episode=560

19 minutes in

2 national guys talking about rhule, our job, tepper.  They think tepper wants a big name.   They talk about the process and how it may go down in regards to fitt.  If we keep fitt a likely guy to interview is going to be quinn.  Interesting little 10 minute conversation

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

19 minutes in

2 national guys talking about rhule, our job, tepper.  They think tepper wants a big name.   They talk about the process and how it may go down in regards to fitt.  If we keep fitt a likely guy to interview is going to be quinn.  Interesting little 10 minute conversation

I could definitely see Tepper hiring someone like Quinn as a massive overcorrection to whiffing on Rhule.  

• The D 1

On 11/30/2022 at 9:47 AM, ForJimmy said:

I mean it makes sense without even listening.  The players had given up on Rhule and his system/strategy because it was obviously not working against other coaches.  A new guy steps in with some experience in the league and they will buy in and are excited to have something different that the previous ineffective system.  If he is the guy next year he will have to do more than simply motivate his guys, he will have to "outcoach" his competition and make adjustments when needed.  That's a whole different thing than lighting a fire under these guys who were tired of Rhule.

It wouldn’t be the first time a team had success, after firing a HC, from an interim HC. 
Problem is that success almost never translates after the interim season. 
If Wilks is our HC, it is what it is, but I will continue to be skeptical of him till he shows me a reason not to be. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I could definitely see Tepper hiring someone like Quinn as a massive overcorrection to whiffing on Rhule.  

It seems like the general strategy of this Tepper/Rhule era has been if something isn't working out, do the 180 degree exact opposite to try and fix it. That's how you go from a Brady to a McAdoo, I hope that's not the case with replacing Rhule with whatever NFL version of Steve Clifford he can find. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Don’t look now, but the Panthers have allowed just 38 points in the last three weeks.

They have to clear up the quarterback position but there’s a promising foundation to be excited about for the near future, especially on defense.

Considering the adverse circumstances of Matt Rhule’s midseason firing, interim head coach Steve Wilks is doing a very good job.

In my opinion, Wilks could be coaching his way into the full time, head coach position.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Don’t look now, but the Panthers have allowed just 38 points in the last three weeks.

They have to clear up the quarterback position but there’s a promising foundation to be excited about for the near future, especially on defense.

Considering the adverse circumstances of Matt Rhule’s midseason firing, interim head coach Steve Wilks is doing a very good job.

In my opinion, Wilks could be coaching his way into the full time, head coach position.

Coach fired 

CMC shipped out 

a terrible, and I mean terrible, OC

terrible QBS 

Wilks is doing all he can to avoid this franchise looking like it is in shambles  

I do not  blame him for the Bengals…very hard to come off a loss they should not have had to Atlanta   The team was totally flat 

Beating Seattle is a tall tall order, at home, better OC coaching staff 

if Wilks does that, plus win 3 of the 4 remaining, no way can he not be given the job 

as far as Dan Quinn, we have seen that show before too.

• Pie 2

On 12/1/2022 at 7:56 AM, mrcompletely11 said:

19 minutes in

ugh. don't have time to listen, but did they say anything about him wanting a big name offensive coach ?

50 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

Look at the QBs the guy has been given.

Yeah Rosen was a first round pick his staff couldn't develop or didn't scout very well.  Baker has looked no better with him as he did Rhule.  So what's your point? 

Also aren't you supposed to be banned??

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah Rosen was a first round pick his staff couldn't develop or didn't scout very well.  Baker has looked no better with him as he did Rhule.  So what's your point? 

Also aren't you supposed to be banned??

I think my statement stands on its own. He has been given dog poo for QBs. Makes it difficult to judge his actual HC ability. No coach can win, or win enough to make the Huddle happy, without a quality QB. Sam is as close as he's come. 

Seems disingenuous to judge him harshly considering what he's been dealt. Give the guy a real shot. Then see if he can get even more out of this team.

Edit to add. Also, I am far from the only one that has this belief.

Edited by Gerry Green
  • Pie 1