• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All the fans that want to tank, you guys are all in on Stroud?

GoobyPls

1 hour ago, Varking said:

Joe Burrow was there for three seasons. Justin Fields last 5 games has his team averaging 30 points a game ( and they just did 10 points without him ). Don’t scout the school. Scout the player. 

Well, their third string QB, but we don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative here so do carry on.

49 minutes ago, Varking said:

I thought he fell because folks were concerned about his injuries/injury past. I didn’t hear anything about him beating up kids. 

He didn’t really have an injury past. He twisted or sprained an ankle late in the season, and then again in the bowl game. But he was actually durable. Concerns were mainly due to his frame and the potential for injury if he continued to run and take hits at the pro level. 

He got in a fight with Wayne Gretsky’s kid in high school, so that’s what I was referring to, along with “he partied in college and drank beer.” Which was overblown. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, Varking said:

Joe Burrow was there for three seasons. Justin Fields last 5 games has his team averaging 30 points a game ( and they just did 10 points without him ). Don’t scout the school. Scout the player. 

OK, but that school had Joe Burrow, and decided to go with Haskins.  That is the school, not the player.  The reason?  Burrow did not fit their system as well.  If an elite NFL QB does not fit the system, then the school is recruiting for their system and that does not necessarily equate to an ideal NFL QB--that is the school and the kind of players that school recruits. 

OSU usually has the better OL, the better WRs, TEs, and the better Defense.  I would say that is true 10 games a season.  There may not be a better system in which to play QB--maybe Alabama or Georgia compares.

And are we really going to measure a player on 5 games--but I agree that Fields is starting to show that he has broken the OSU curse.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

There's still a lot to go over when scouting these QBs.  Right now, I have to ask "who is the gamer?"  Who is the player who can make plays out of structure when your team needs you?  Is there an alpha dog who can put a team on his back and will them to victory?

I see Bryce Young....and no one else.  But Young is also small which won't work out well for him when he starts getting flattened by 300lb NFL DLs.

Stroud absolutely passes the eyeball test and the stat sheet test, but does he have the will to carry his team?  Think about Jake Delhomme.  Far from a good athlete, Jake elevated his team, put them on his back in the 4th quarter, and willed them to wins.  Cam - how many times in the pros and college did Cam carry a team to victory?  

Then again, what do I know?  I'm just an idiot with a keyboard.  There's still a lot that of scouting that pros need to do, and then it's not up to me.

So I'm all for the wins.  They are more fun right now!

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, d-dave said:

There's still a lot to go over when scouting these QBs.  Right now, I have to ask "who is the gamer?"  Who is the player who can make plays out of structure when your team needs you?  Is there an alpha dog who can put a team on his back and will them to victory?

I see Bryce Young....and no one else.  But Young is also small which won't work out well for him when he starts getting flattened by 300lb NFL DLs.

Stroud absolutely passes the eyeball test and the stat sheet test, but does he have the will to carry his team?  Think about Jake Delhomme.  Far from a good athlete, Jake elevated his team, put them on his back in the 4th quarter, and willed them to wins.  Cam - how many times in the pros and college did Cam carry a team to victory?  

Then again, what do I know?  I'm just an idiot with a keyboard.  There's still a lot that of scouting that pros need to do, and then it's not up to me.

So I'm all for the wins.  They are more fun right now!

Don't sell yourself short.  That is a damn nice keyboard.

I agree with this.  and even though these QBs are scouted, interviewed, weighed and measured in workouts/combine/pro day, etc. most first round QBs bust. 

• Beer 2

Personally, I think there should be a "buyer beware" tag on any QB from Bama, Clemson (until recently), Georgia, Ohio State etc. because they have the better players around them.  They rarely play from behind.  They have WRs who get open and make plays.  They are auditioning in ideal circumstances in which they have all the advantages. 

• Pie 3