• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Darnold plays well,do they keep him around?

Jmac

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sam isn't on the higher end of backups.  A high end backup is either a talented development player you want to take over as starter or is a boring/consistent veteran that will do nothing but manage the game.  Sam is neither of those.  

and I guess I should clarify.  The signature of the Matt Rhule era was his botching of the QB position.  And I want literally no one from the Rhule era around at that position.   Corral gets a pass since he is a rookie and never played.   Baker, Sam, and PJ all should go.  New coach should bring in a new batch. 

Ideally we get a talented top 10 pick rookie QB and a veteran stop gap guy. 

• Beer 1

People thinking PJ Walker is a starter are lost in life. If Darnold gets us to a NFC South, you gotta keep Wilks and Darnold for three years. Roll with Corral development as we continue to hype up these QBs and dump them on the wayside b/c we suck the next year. Need to ink Foreman immediately as well.

If he plays really good, some team is going to offer him at least fringe starter money (like Mariota or Trubisky this past year) and I have no interest in getting into that kind of bidding war for him. Take the comp pick.

If he plays awful, he'll come dirt cheap but why would we want an awful backup? 

Maybe we hit a sweet spot where he has his ups and downs, but mostly turns into a decent but unspectacular game manager. In that situation, sure I'd offer him like a 2 year, $8 million contract if he's willing to take that. But again, if it turns into a bidding war, best wishes Sam.

We've had one game with him. He won it and that's great. Stat-wise it was a pedestrian performance, but that looks good for how we've been. He led the team on the field and there was a different attitude out there. He found the receivers that needed to be found.

But it was just one game.

Let's see the rest of the season before we jump the shark, again. If over the next few weeks he somehow reaches the potential that he once had when he was drafted, then yeah, sign him to a short, moderately priced contract with incentives. 

If he wins just a couple more and does like this past week, then you offer him a modest backup QB contract and see what we have in Corral. 

If he does like all of the others QBs this season, then you ride this season out, hand all three starters an apple and bus ticket and move into tomorrow with Corral and whoever he will compete with. 

It is Darnold's spot to earn, but the cost to him will be high. He's going to have to be aggressive, fearless and a leader of men. He has a steep hill to climb to reach those things, but there is literally no one standing in his way except himself. This is the best opportunity to make it or break it he will ever get in the sport again.

Good luck to him. 

TL;DR: If so, he's going to have to Jake Delhomme the hell out of this to win the spot.

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 2