• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Darnold plays well,do they keep him around?

Jmac

6 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

We've had one game with him. He won it and that's great. Stat-wise it was a pedestrian performance, but that looks good for how we've been. He led the team on the field and there was a different attitude out there. He found the receivers that needed to be found.

But it was just one game.

Let's see the rest of the season before we jump the shark, again. If over the next few weeks he somehow reaches the potential that he once had when he was drafted, then yeah, sign him to a short, moderately priced contract with incentives. 

If he wins just a couple more and does like this past week, then you offer him a modest backup QB contract and see what we have in Corral. 

If he does like all of the others QBs this season, then you ride this season out, hand all three starters an apple and bus ticket and move into tomorrow with Corral and whoever he will compete with. 

It is Darnold's spot to earn, but the cost to him will be high. He's going to have to be aggressive, fearless and a leader of men. He has a steep hill to climb to reach those things, but there is literally no one standing in his way except himself. This is the best opportunity to make it or break it he will ever get in the sport again.

Good luck to him. 

TL;DR: If so, he's going to have to Jake Delhomme the hell out of this to win the spot.

I think the Delhomme comment is apt considering DJ Moore seems to come alive when playing with Darnold. 

It's literally all in Darnold's hands now. If he plays like he did on Sunday for the remainder of the season he'll earn a new NFL contract with someone. 

• Pie 2

On 11/29/2022 at 7:01 PM, Admiral Ackbar said:

Doesn't look like we are getting Stroud or Bryce. I am 1000% on board with rolling with PJ and Corral next year, see how Corral does and then make your decision on the QB position next year.

Reason being;

- Not a fan of any of the QBs this year

- Solidify another position through the draft or trade back this year

- Potential to draft Drake Maye or Harrison Jr. (depending on Corral situation) next year

I think it will ultimately come down to the HC, if its Wilks idk if he can afford another bad season but maybe he rolls with an offensive scheme similar to what we are doing now. And if we hire a new coach, he almost certainty will push to draft a QB this upcoming year. 

There is a 99.99% chance if we start Matt Corral at QB next year that we may not win a single ball game. PJ maybe gets us 3 wins. 

• Poo 2

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

People thinking PJ Walker is a starter are lost in life. If Darnold gets us to a NFC South, you gotta keep Wilks and Darnold for three years. Roll with Corral development as we continue to hype up these QBs and dump them on the wayside b/c we suck the next year. Need to ink Foreman immediately as well.

If Darnold gets us to a NFC South (Title? I guess that's what you meant to say), I will revert (Temporarily) back into the annoying fanboy I was when I first arrived here.

In other words, I am so confident that Sam will fail, that I am willing to bet my sanity. 

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Really?  You're an expert on Corral?  

Corral has many good traits and given a real opportunity you'll be proven wrong. 

Its not being an expert on corral its simply looking at the current and past history of drafted qbs in the league.  There are currently 5ish starting qbs in the nfl that were drafted 3rd round or later.  One of those obviously is brady.  The odds that corral works out is astronomical.  Could it happen?  Sure, but if we are playing the odds it doesnt look great. 

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Really?  You're an expert on Corral?  

Corral has many good traits and given a real opportunity you'll be proven wrong. 

No expert on Corral..just watched a lot of football and he doesn't show any traits that indicates he is a starter caliber QB, much less a long term answer.

To act as if he has proven otherwise is laughable. His preseason games were God awful.

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'm throwing the bullshit flag on this.  He has many many traits that are starting caliber QB.

God I hate when people talk out of the ass to try and make a point.

Happens a lot. They even said they watched a lot of football, and ended referencing preseason, which is less than a game of his football life, in a shitty situation. 

Doubt they have much knowledge of his collegiate performance and tape. NFL starting traits are clearly present if you know what you are looking at. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

22 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'm throwing the bullshit flag on this.  He has many many traits that are starting caliber QB.

God I hate when people talk out of the ass to try and make a point.

What traits? The only traits that matter are the one that are proven. He's shown little awareness. The only thing I will give you is his drive could help him succeed. The guy seems to want to win. But wanting to, and actually doing are two different things. 

The fact that just because someone disagreeing with you gets you so upset is kind of joke to me. Shows me that you have a bias towards the dude. I'm looking at him objectively like all of our QBs. He can't make the field with our worst possible QB locker room, he damn sure ain't good enough to make us competitive.

15 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Happens a lot. They even said they watched a lot of football, and ended referencing preseason, which is less than a game of his football life, in a shitty situation. 

Doubt they have much knowledge of his collegiate performance and tape. NFL starting traits are clearly present if you know what you are looking at. 

Funny, 1 TD and 257 yards/ game with less than 70% completion percentage on average spells doesn't spell world beater to me. Not to mention in college, they were averaging less than 30 attempts per game, which tells me they preferred running the ball. Kind of like the Panthers now, who can't trust their passing game.

Pat Mahomes for example, averaged 421 yds and over 3 tds per game with his arm. Let's assume legs equate to the same skill level, which they don't because Mahomes awareness is through the roof, and he is 3xs the QB Corral was statistically in comparison of their best seasons in college. 

These are the types of guys who win Superbowls in the NFL, and if you wanna sit here and tell me otherwise..you are most.likely the one with little to no football knowledge. I could scheme you under the table, I've coached I've played, and I've scouted. I've studied this game. And while your entitled to your opinion, your also entitled to being disagreed with. Matt Corral has yet to prove himself to be nothing more than an athlete that throws. Until he doesn't look like a scared little girl in anything other than a preseason game, against college level 2s and 3s(which he should be used to) under center then we can talk. Until then, go ride his 🍆 elsewhere.

Edited by Diehardpanth02
Matt Corral/ Matt rhule same thing

39 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

What traits? The only traits that matter are the one that are proven. He's shown little awareness. The only thing I will give you is his drive could help him succeed. The guy seems to want to win. But wanting to, and actually doing are two different things. 

The fact that just because someone disagreeing with you gets you so upset is kind of joke to me. Shows me that you have a bias towards the dude. I'm looking at him objectively like all of our QBs. He can't make the field with our worst possible QB locker room, he damn sure ain't good enough to make us competitive.

Objective?  You gotta be kidding me.  You are going to sit here and tell me Corral had a real opportunity?  Which by your statement that's exactly what you are saying.   Anyone that knows football knows that Corral wasn't given one true opportunity in training camp or preseason.  As I've said 1000x Corral was given 5 minutes at the end of practice.  Do you truly believe that was fair? 

It's not a bias it is a belief that given a real opportunity he will perform well.  You on the other hand have total discounted any possibility based on no facts.  We traded a pick for him.  We moved up to get him.  The only person that held him back was Rhule.  You say he ain't good enough to make us competitive.  How so?  No one know because Rhule had Mayfield as his boy and that was that. You're so hell bent on us drafting a QB that you'll discount him regardless of anything.

I don't know where you think I get upset.  I do get irritated with idiots that say 99.99% chance he won't succeed.  This is a stupid, ignorant and utterly dumb statement.  Based on absolutely no facts.  

You're a tanker, you're a loser at any cost which tells me you know absolutely nothing about professional sports and their players.  Better that you go play with your Madden 22 and leave the chatter about the team to those that understand professional sports. 

You embarrass your profile name.  diehard... hahahaha as long as we are winning.    

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You say he ain't good enough to make us competitive.  How so?

there are around 5 starting nfl qbs that have been drafted from the 3rd round and beyond.  Thats how so.   The odds of him making us competitive or even contributing even now that he is hurt are beyond astronomical.  Factor in a new coaching staff and new rookie qb and they are basically nonexistent.   Keep your head in the sand and keep spouting ridiculous takes so we can keep laughing at you though because you are true treasure.  Tell me again how Trey lance is a bust after one game. 

• Beer 1