• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule: “I wish I never took the job”

CashNewton22

Guy actually thought he was gonna be given 5 years no matter what happened?

This is the NFL. Pro sports do not work like that.

Also what big trade could we make that would have made this team a true contender?

FA market right now is looking kinda bad and as of right now there doesn’t appear to be any QB worth trading up depending who you talk to. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Where are the Rhule defenders at???

There are actual reports that it was Rhule who didn’t want to trade up for Hubert, didn’t want to trade up or draft Fields because he was so certain Darnold was the guy. 
What an asshat. No accountability. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, beo said:

Assuming everything he is saying here isn't a lie/him trying to cover for his bruised ego I think that the far more disturbing possibility is.. what if Tepper actually gave him, a coach who beat two ranked teams in college (both were g5 teams) a clean 5 year slate to "rebuild" the team originally and only backtracked on it after seeing just how bad he was on the field? It would add up with him being retained for year 3 and then fired in-season. Did Tepper seriously believe that it took 5 years for a team to win in the NFL? If so we might just find ourselves sucking for a very, very long time.

I had been trying to convince myself that this wasn't the case but this interview doesn't do much for my optimism as a fan. Guess all we can do is hope Tepper learned from his mistakes...

Tepper actually said it would take 5 years to build a winning team so yeah I think he believed it too. 

• Pie 2

Rhule is so full of poo.  If you are a Nebraska fan you got to hate that answer IMO. 

4 year plan? You were 3 years in and there was nothing to show for it.  And you were trading away draft picks to acquire veteran players.    You were going after anyone with a pulse.   His answer of the plan was to try to build and make a big move in year 4 was “the plan” lol.    You were after freaking Watson in year 2 and 3.   Stafford too. You had no plan. 

and Wilks is showing your were just a clown.   Teams functions and looks better the instant you walked out that door. 

zero accountability, that’s what he told Nebraska.   And that makes Rhule the worst. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

14 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Tepper actually said it would take 5 years to build a winning team so yeah I think he believed it too. 

Yup in the message to season ticket holders. I had just been hoping (or perhaps coping is a more appropriate word) that it was PR/fluff speak to try and keep people patient but looks like it might not've been after all.

Edited by beo

48 minutes ago, frankw said:

Where are the Rhule defenders at???

I was literally about to post this. The guy was all about image instead of substance. Heard a few things about him being such a control freak that he even got involved in panthers media stuff. Remember in some of his press conferences him talking about watching players interviews to see what they said. I think this is because he really didn’t know much about football. He was just a rah rah preacher type coach. Which I said from day 1 wouldn’t work in the nfl. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

Wow.  Just hard to put into words how bad that was on so many levels.    He is so full of himself.  I am now surprised that he got the Nebraska job.  He has made a fool of himself, Tepper, and now maybe Neb AD.

All that being said I blame Tepper for him..yea, he had Hurney here  to guide him.  Another sign of poor NFL judgement.

Rhule threw so many people under the bus.  Just a dumb, dumb, classless move.  Can't wait for people behind the scenes or players to start talking to reporters in response.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1