• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule: “I wish I never took the job”

CashNewton22

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Can't believe I'm listening to the whole thing. He said one of his mistakes was hiring NFL guys for their experience, but they didn't connect with the way he wanted to do things. So the NFL coaches were also the problem

He doesn't consider the possibility that the experienced NFL coaches didn't connect with the way he wanted to do things because he had no idea what he was doing at the NFL level, and they picked up on that pretty quickly.

It's comical the way he talks about having the rug pulled out from under him when the four or five year plan became a two year plan.  He didn't get canned for now winning an Owl in two or three years.  He got canned for not making any progress in over two years, even though the roster got better (as he tries to take credit for). 

Even after last year's debacle, had this team made progress and finished 8-9 or so, we'd have been subjected to year four of The Process.  But that was beyond him.  

Of course, it can't be him.  And if in three years Nebraska is 3-8 again, that won't be on him, either.

• Beer 2

14 minutes ago, saX man said:

Wait for real?

In regards to how he's pitching coaching jobs to his staff-

"I've got a lot of guys that are like my guys. If I made a mistake in the NFL, one of them is a hired some guys for their experience, but they maybe didn't always connect with me. I'm a highly demanding guy, I want things done a certain way" blah blah. I would say that wasn't a great sales pitch, but there's plenty of guys that just want a coaching job if he's looking for yes men over talent

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, rayzor said:

yep. it was pretty obvious that he'd rather have been with the NYG, but that $62 for 7 years was a pretty good argument. very much a N00b move for a new owner with more cash than any other owner (at the time) and thought that money solved all problems. 

of course what money does is enslave you to the idea that money makes everything right and more money = more smarts. the reality is it makes everyone stupid and the more you have the more boldly stupid you get...but people listen to you because they fall prey to the myth that money = smart. 

but yeah....rhule knew what mattered at the moment. money and freedom to do what he wanted as a coach. hurney and tepper basically came to his door begging and pleading and gave him whatever he wanted. 

That's a good way to put it.