• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's Talk Tanner McKee, QB, Stanford

saX man

Nearing season's end, prospect talk is ramping up, I'm thinking this can venture out of the draft forum (Feel free to move if you'd like Rayzor/LG):

Out of all the QB prospects, he's the one I see most set aside without a lot of consideration.  Overall, I find Tanner McKee to be one of the more interesting prospects for a few reasons:

TANNER MCKEE

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFSZ0NxXqScHN1KhusqSv

PROS

• Elite Size: 6'6 230
  • 22 years old
  • Estimated 4.65-4.7 40 time (note: This is unexpected bc he's a purely pocket QB...but can run if need be)
  • Has an NFL arm -- the one thing to note, he has a funny Rivers-esque release.  Prepare for this, the one glaring thing IMO.
  • Footwork is top notch with near flawless technique most of the time--simply no real issues to be corrected here
  • Understand progressions well & reads the field.  Able to stand tall with his size and see everything
  • Can make every type of throw -- Pure pro-style QB
  • Cancer survivor (was 16 y/o), has been through a lot, decided to travel & do mission work post HS, seems like a charming guy with life experience
  • He really reminds me of Carson Palmer meets Matt Ryan, but at 6'6 230

NEGATIVES

• Even though he has shown random elusive moments and has some agility, he is simply not a mobile guy.  Really sticks to being a pocket QB.  
  • Has produced average results.  Has led some decent wins but has never cranked out many at-will TDs or consistent wins for Stanford.
  • Tough eval for intangibles because Stanford was such a bad squad but wish he showed more high-powered offense skills and some GWDs.
  • Consistency in ball-security: He goes through stretches where he'll have an aggressive tight window throw where a better option was there.  He has to slow down back and get back in rhythm.  

OTHER NOTABLES

• Brugler and a few other outlets/insiders claim he is high on boards, fringe 1st rounder (44th overall on DB's Big Board, QB4)
  • "His touch, vision and accuracy remain among the best in this class. While he isn’t a rush threat and won’t create many second-chance plays, he is efficient in his drops/slides or when moving the pocket on sprint outs. On some plays, he looks like Matt Ryan, on others, like Mike Glennon. The truth likely falls somewhere in between those two quarterbacks.”

Tanner_McKee_SG_08192022_0007.JPG

Preseason scouting report

McKee isn’t without flaws, but I was impressed by his ability to find his balance as a passer to show off his NFL-level arm and mind. He is a fantastic rhythm passer with the ball placement and vision to work through progressions, horizontally and vertically. — Brugler

What You Need to Know

Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields were the two top-ranked quarterbacks in the 2018 recruiting class, but McKee wasn’t too far behind. Despite planning a two-year religious mission before becoming a full-time student-athlete, McKee was highly sought after by Alabama, Texas and numerous national programs. McKee ultimately chose Stanford, and after two years serving in Brazil, he joined the team in 2020 when he redshirted. With Davis Mills off to the NFL, McKee became the starter in 2021, and though Stanford managed only three wins, McKee was one of the few bright spots. — Dane Brugler

So my question--

If his ceiling is a late 1st, could he actually be a trade-UP target if we land a top talent with our first pick? 

I also ask because Stroud & Young could be off the board, maybe even Levis.  If rumors are right and McKee is in fact the next guy on a lot of team boards (Not Richardson or Penix), heck maybe QB3, is he a legit target for us? Is he a feasible QB that we're not talking about because of guys going through bloom years like Penix (that team's aren't really falling for)?

I mean, let's say we somehow land Quinten, Addison or that ND TE, we suddenly have a pretty potent offense.  Why not hand them one of the more ready guys, who's still young?  All of these prospects have question marks (height, age, arm, douchiness, etc.) and honestly, he kind of appears to be the most well-rounded from what I'm seeing minus a goofy release.

Whatsayyou??

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I actually see him going to the bucs. Just seems like the type guy to follow Brady. The line/team/system is already set up for a immobile pocket QB.

That said, if we were going to draft two QBs this year (which I hope we do just to be safe) I wouldn't mind him being an option.

I wouldn't feel good about us putting all our eggs in that one basket, though.

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, saX man said:

Nearing season's end, prospect talk is ramping up, I'm thinking this can venture out of the draft forum (Feel free to move if you'd like Rayzor/LG):

Out of all the QB prospects, he's the one I see most set aside without a lot of consideration.  Overall, I find Tanner McKee to be one of the more interesting prospects for a few reasons:

TANNER MCKEE

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFSZ0NxXqScHN1KhusqSv

PROS

• Elite Size: 6'6 230
  • 22 years old
  • Estimated 4.65-4.7 40 time (note: This is unexpected bc he's a purely pocket QB...but can run if need be)
  • Has an NFL arm -- the one thing to note, he has a funny Rivers-esque release.  Prepare for this, the one glaring thing IMO.
  • Footwork is top notch with near flawless technique most of the time--simply no real issues to be corrected here
  • Understand progressions well & reads the field.  Able to stand tall with his size and see everything
  • Can make every type of throw -- Pure pro-style QB
  • Cancer survivor (was 16 y/o), has been through a lot, decided to travel & do mission work post HS, seems like a charming guy with life experience
  • He really reminds me of Carson Palmer meets Matt Ryan, but at 6'6 230

NEGATIVES

• Even though he has shown random elusive moments and has some agility, he is simply not a mobile guy.  Really sticks to being a pocket QB.  
  • Has produced average results.  Has led some decent wins but has never cranked out many at-will TDs or consistent wins for Stanford.
  • Tough eval for intangibles because Stanford was such a bad squad but wish he showed more high-powered offense skills and some GWDs.
  • Consistency in ball-security: He goes through stretches where he'll have an aggressive tight window throw where a better option was there.  He has to slow down back and get back in rhythm.  

OTHER NOTABLES

• Brugler and a few other outlets/insiders claim he is high on boards, fringe 1st rounder (44th overall on DB's Big Board, QB4)
  • "His touch, vision and accuracy remain among the best in this class. While he isn’t a rush threat and won’t create many second-chance plays, he is efficient in his drops/slides or when moving the pocket on sprint outs. On some plays, he looks like Matt Ryan, on others, like Mike Glennon. The truth likely falls somewhere in between those two quarterbacks.”

Tanner_McKee_SG_08192022_0007.JPG

So my question--

If his ceiling is a late 1st, could he actually be a trade-UP target if we land a top talent with our first pick? 

I also ask because Stroud & Young could be off the board, maybe even Levis.  If rumors are right and McKee is in fact the next guy on a lot of team boards (Not Richardson or Penix), heck maybe QB3, is he a legit target for us? Is he a feasible QB that we're not talking about because of guys going through bloom years like Penix (that team's aren't really falling for)?

I mean, let's say we somehow land Quinten, Addison or that ND TE, we suddenly have a pretty potent offense.  Why not hand them one of the more ready guys, who's still young?  All of these prospects have question marks (height, age, arm, douchiness, etc.) and honestly, he kind of appears to be the most well-rounded from what I'm seeing minus a goofy release.

Whatsayyou??

I am intrigued by him but didn't see any Stanford games this season. I will need to check out some games to get a read on him.

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I actually see him going to the bucs. Just seems like the type guy to follow Brady. The line/team/system is already set up for a immobile pocket QB.

That said, if we were going to draft two QBs this year (which I hope we do just to be safe) I wouldn't mind him being an option.

I wouldn't feel good about us putting all our eggs in that one basket, though.

If we don't end up with Young or Stroud, I'd love a combo of McKee and then Ward later.  Counter a high floor kid with a high upside one.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I am intrigued by him but didn't see any Stanford games this season. I will need to check out some games to get a read on him.

The brief times I have viewed a Stanford game he was constantly having to avoid pressure and either dumping it off or throwing it away.  Maybe there were better games, but it might be hard to get a read on him because they didn't have much around him.  

• Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

What's the latest on Ward?  I feel like he is staying another year....

My guess is Richardson goes for the draft, both Daniels & Ward stay in school.  

Ward can boost his stock a ton with another season and make himself a lot more $$.  If Wash St can put a defense together, they could contend.  

• Pie 1

I don't see it on McKee.

He's running an RPO offense out there, and he's "ok".  He definitely doesn't have a lot of help around him, but he's not mobile AT ALL.  Get him off his spot and he's not very effective.  His decision making is also a bit on the slow side.

We already have a young QB from an RPO background on our roster.  McKee looks like a less twitchy, slower version of Matt Corrall.