• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cryptic message from Stanley McClover

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

5th year option. Bring in a new HC and crew and then do a huge deal. Zero need right now in the midst of a losing and embarising season. Same stuff was said about CMC and we were desperate to get rid of him.

I see where you’re coming from but the main thing is there is more value in a pass rusher vs a RB.

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I see where you’re coming from but the main thing is there is more value in a pass rusher vs a RB.

True but it's a huge red flag when a pack of guys working to have jobs next year get together and do a mega deal when they could just wait 2 months.

Edited by Waldo

11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

5th year option. Bring in a new HC and crew and then do a huge deal. Zero need right now in the midst of a losing and embarising season. Same stuff was said about CMC and we were desperate to get rid of him.

He’s due 16 million with the 5th year option. He’s 24, a pro bowl player at one of the most important positions in football who is a leader of the team. Running backs get paid very little and it is easy to find good talent for very little investment. It is also a position that peaks at a very early age due to wear and tear which is why the cmc extension was questionable, especially with years left on his rookie deal. This move is an absolute no brained and waiting longer will only cost us more. This extension is inevitable…especially after we turned down draft picks for him. 

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

He’s due 16 million with the 5th year option. He’s 24, a pro bowl player at one of the most important positions in football who is a leader of the team. Running backs get paid very little and it is easy to find good talent for very little investment. It is also a position that peaks at a very early age due to wear and tear which is why the cmc extension was questionable, especially with years left on his rookie deal. This move is an absolute no brained and waiting longer will only cost us more. This extension is inevitable…especially after we turned down draft picks for him. 

Timing matters. It's a dumb move. Give the new HC his place at the table to discus the inevitable and make a positive easy step in the offseason.

This has desperation stink all over it but I know he will take the money a couple of months early.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 3

45 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

What do you mean? He’s reached double digit sacks and the last year of his rookie deal. An extension helps the cap for next year and locks up your 24 year old building block. I really can’t think of many reasons why we wouldn’t go ahead and extend him….the longer we wait the more expensive it will be. His value will not be going down I can promise you that. This is completely different than the CMC extension almost in every way. 

This 100%. Other than finding a franchise QB, finding a premier Edge rusher is the next hardest thing to do. Brian Burns is 24. His value most certainly is not going down anytime soon.

The people who thought we "had to trade him for picks" simply don't understand current NFL roster construction and positional importance.  I can understand both sides of an argument I'm most situations, but I genuinely don't think there's any compelling reason not to.

Like you said, there are zero parallels here to the CMC situation. Complete apples to oranges. The Rams were throwing out an offer to see if they had a sucker on the other line with the early season chaos.

If you aren't going to pay Burns, you are sending a clear message to the locker room you're not serious about trying to win. He literally is the best pass rusher we've had since Peppers. Maybe it's the fantasy football ideation that has taken over a lot of fans, but real NFL footall is not Madden or any other video game/ fantasy iteration.  The odds are extremely low even with 2 first rounders you will find equivalent value to a Top 10 Edge Rusher. It's a fool's bet unless there are other compelling reasons (i.e. salary cap constraints), but even then they have to be severe to make any sense whatsoever.

Bottom line, there is no reason not to do the extension now, and a whole bunch of reasons to do it.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

59 minutes ago, Waldo said:

True but it's a huge red flag when a pack of guys working to have jobs next year get together and do a mega deal when they could just wait 2 months.

I think you do the contract now when he's at 10 sacks just in case he gets to 15+ by the end of the year his leverage increases. We can't let him walk, we didn't trade him when we had the chance, and we actually need the $12M we can save by extending him instead of the $16M tag cap hit next year. We have zero dollars in cap space currently, actually like negative 900k or so but thats basically zero in the NFL

• Pie 2

Too many times I have seen one this board during games people talking about how Burns is getting bullied by a better lineman or how he misses sacks. 
He has been impressive these last 2 games. But I’d like him to be more consistent if we are gonna pay him a contract that will reset the league average. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Extension would open up supposedly $12M in cap space. We're basically at $0 right now

Been saying this for a couple months now.  Extending Burns gives us the most breathing room of any potential moves.  Extending Brown gives us a little more too.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Been saying this for a couple months now.  Extending Burns gives us the most breathing room of any potential moves.  Extending Brown gives us a little more too.

Then it's wide open the year after, especially if we get our rookie QB on the cheap we'll have plenty of space for solid FA pickups