• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cryptic message from Stanley McClover

Mr. Scot

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Then it's wide open the year after, especially if we get our rookie QB on the cheap we'll have plenty of space for solid FA pickups

I'm wanting to build through the draft.  I hope Fitty moves back some in this draft.  I'd rather have 10-11 picks than our current 7 and have to rely on bottom tier FAs.  Like you said, cap space opens up in 2024, but I don't want to go shopping like a trophy wife with a brand new credit card.  Build the core and fill in with serviceable FAs as needed and stay away from the big price tags.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

What do you mean? He’s reached double digit sacks and the last year of his rookie deal. An extension helps the cap for next year and locks up your 24 year old building block. I really can’t think of many reasons why we wouldn’t go ahead and extend him….the longer we wait the more expensive it will be. His value will not be going down I can promise you that. This is completely different than the CMC extension almost in every way. 

No need in explanation. People don't understand the game. RBs are a dime dozen. DEs like Brian Burns who have natural pass rushing ability are not.

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

Timing matters. It's a dumb move. Give the new HC his place at the table to discus the inevitable and make a positive easy step in the offseason.

This has desperation stink all over it but I know he will take the money a couple of months early.

It depends on what the free agent market looks like in 2023. If there are a lot if top tier pass rushers available, Fitt might be concerned about the market going nuts. Also keep in mind that the cap is about to start jumping up.

Those could be reasons why he might be trying to get a deal done now, to lock him in at a lower range deal. 

I would say withhold judgement until the details are available.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I'm wanting to build through the draft.  I hope Fitty moves back some in this draft.  I'd rather have 10-11 picks than our current 7 and have to rely on bottom tier FAs.  Like you said, cap space opens up in 2024, but I don't want to go shopping like a trophy wife with a brand new credit card.  Build the core and fill in with serviceable FAs as needed and stay away from the big price tags.

I disagree. We are at the point where we need better quality players, not just more players. Trading back is fine if you have a stacked roster and don't need a first round salary on the books or you have the luxury of trading into a future 1st round. Otherwise, trading back to load up on 4th-7th rounders is fuging absurd.

We have a decent core now but we really need top tier players, not depth guys. Get some studs and/or potential starters in the 1st-3rd rounds with these higher picks. That is what will help us improve as a team.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, stirs said:

He would be much better in a 34

People keep saying this but he seems to be doing just fine production wise in any role that he is used. Remember he did play in a 3-4 Riveras last year, and has been used in a similar type role over the last few seasons. People complain all the time that he drops into coverage too much. He is not a one truck pony which is why he has even more value.

18 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

People keep saying this but he seems to be doing just fine production wise in any role that he is used. Remember he did play in a 3-4 Riveras last year, and has been used in a similar type role over the last few seasons. People complain all the time that he drops into coverage too much. He is not a one truck pony which is why he has even more value.

But he is a liability when playing a 43 DE against a decent run game

9 minutes ago, stirs said:

But he is a liability when playing a 43 DE against a decent run game

19th in yards allowed and 17th in scoring. Burns has talent and we have peices to build around but this isn't as great a D as some like to think. Last year it was yards allowed and this year it's Burns sacks.

I can see us doing a 49ers type 4-3 but I still think Burns is the weakside DE in that scheme. I would love to see him as a true edge around an traditional 3-4 front.

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t know why people keep saying this. It’s not just two first rounders, but no, it’s not extremely low.

Look at Iky, we are happy with him at LT, right? Well, in the draft before with Horn, Sewell, Slater and Darrisaw all have played very well. Heck, we could have traded down with Chicago and had pick 6 and 7 instead of Horn and still had Darrisaw as our current LT. Trades can easily work out. I wouldn’t have picked a CB at 6/7, but man, how would the offense be for a rookie QB if we had our OL with Darrisaw instead of Iky and maybe had Garrett Wilson and Olave with DJ. Heck, you could have traded DJ for GBs first and had pick 8 for Horn Jr. Iky, DJ and Horn become Darrisaw, Wilson, Olave and pick 8 plus $15M a year for a FA. Sometimes trades work out for the better.

Also, the Burns trade was pick 34-36 in this draft and the two firsts in 2024/2025. What if Stafford retires or gets hurt again? There is a non-extremely low chance that we could actually get a player better than Burns on a rookie deal no less. The other part that you missed is that we’d have Burns’ $30M a year to spend on whatever FAs we wanted. 3 picks and $30M a year. If we can’t get enough value overall from that to match Burns’ value then we were never going anywhere anyway because our GM is terrible.

It doesn’t matter anyway but let’s not act like the trade was 2 late first round picks that would never do anything. I’d personally wager that both 1st round picks (ignoring the 2nd and $$$s) will be better than the original pick we used on Burns, which by definition means it’s not an extremely low chance we would have done as good or better.

Also the rams look like one of the 3 worst teams in the nfl right now and it doesnt look to get any better in the offseason.  We could have held 3 picks for 2 years for one of the worst teams in the nfl.  Those 2 firsts would be gold moving forward for this franchise

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 1

Good. Burns is growing into an elite pass rusher. He's starting to get home more as evidenced by his first season w/ double digit sacks. He's a young, vocal leader and he's laid back off of the field. He's got the combination of tangibles and intangibles that all the pre-draft research in the world can't accurately predict. Shoulda/Coulda/Woulda is for message boards. I hope out there in the real world, Fitterer is working to get a deal done. 

• Pie 2