• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Salt 'n' Pepper

GRWatcher

Reading this brought back so many good memories of a bright, shiny new NFL team, of Carolina fans learning how to watch live football (there were many articles about that), of the great players we had in the 90's, of the general, always there, excitement no matter what. Lamar Lathon is one of my favorites from that era. 

“Lamar was a game-wrecker,” Bill Polian, the former Panthers general manager who recruited Lathon to Carolina, said in an interview. “He had incredible power. Incredible explosion. Incredible range. And he was one of the very few linebackers I’ve ever seen who could run right over an offensive tackle.”

It was Lathon who delivered the most memorable quote after Carolina whipped Dallas, 26-17, in its first-ever playoff game in the 1996 postseason. He chortled when recalling it during our interview, repeating it word for word from memory.

Then-Cowboys coach Barry Switzer had said during the lead-up to the game on ESPN that Dallas had never traveled as far south as Charlotte for a playoff game.

Since Charlotte is actually northeast of Dallas, Lathon worked himself into a lather over Switzer’s geographically challenged statement, which he perceived as disrespect.

When the game ended, Lathon found a gathering of TV cameras and bellowed: “So now I propose a question for you, Barry Switzer! When you’re sitting at home next week, do you know where Charlotte, North Carolina is now, BABY?!”

I asked Brian Burns, the Panthers’ best pass rusher now, the other day if he had ever heard of Lathon. Burns, 24, wasn’t even born when Lathon had his 13.5 sacks in 1996. Burns said he hadn’t, but was intrigued by that 13.5 number. Burns has 10 sacks so far this year, which is his career high.

“Now I’m gonna have to look Lamar Lathon up,” Burns said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/whatever-happened-former-panthers-star-110000049.html?src=rss

• Pie 6

Latham was a one man wrecking crew when he played.  I saw and heard him say his famous quote live after that glorious game.

In my opinion he was better than Greene that year even though he didn't get the most sacks. And that Atlanta game he was off the chain.  He hit harder than anyone I've ever seen.  It's was always a legal hit too.

I hate to see the health problems he's dealing with. He was a large man built like a Greek God. CTE is real and a huge concern, or should be for these young players. 

• Pie 6

Despite it changing the game, I'm glad the NFL and NFLPA are finally doing something about head injuries and CTE in particular. They should've done something in 2012 when Junior Seau committed suicide and it was obvious why. They need to do more.

It's a damn shame Lamar isn't in the Hall of Fame too.

7 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

Lamar Lathan is the best pass rusher we've ever had.

When he arrived at the QB he did so violently. They felt pain.

But not only QBs felt his wrath Michael Irving's collar bone did to with that brutal hit in the playoffs.

Brian Burns is no Lamar Lathon.

What? I love Lathon, but he wasnt even the best pass rusher for any year he was on the team. Burns also has more sacks these last 3 years than Lathon from 95-97, so you`re still not making sense.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1