• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anthony Richardson declares for the draft

Ricky Spanish

3 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Had it until there. Again, NOBODY knows that yet. 

It's very likely we see Matt Corral play. Matt Rhule's stupidity shouldn't be going such a long way to color a player a bust before his first official snap.

Why is the deck stacked against him. He's the only QB under contract next season and a friggin BARGAIN for once. Why wouldn't the Panthers play him after his been soaking up paychecks and rehab for a year by the time takes a snap.

A guy who's been on the payroll that the organization moved up to draft, the QB1 on McAdoo's big board, arguably the best QB in the SEC in 2021? That guy isn't playing?

Come On Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

He's playing. He'll probably get an opportunity even with a new coach. They may even like him enough to interview Lane Kiffin, then there would absolutely be no question. Harbaugh would probably like Corrals skillset too.

The Panthers are going to more than just kick the tires on Corral. They're going to see what they've got and we will too.

Screenshot_20221010-140330~2.png

By leans I mean expects him to start etc. It just isn't happening dude.  He was a project, he looked terrible in preseason, and he's been out with an injury.  He'll have a shot in preseason, but nobody in their right mind goes into next season with him penciled in as a starter, unless the goal is somehow to tank. We don't know what of his college skills translated to the NFL because of how bad he was in preseason, how poorly he was handled, and the injury that prevents us from seeing him now.  

It doesn't matter if he's the only QB under contract next year... The new coach - or hell even Wilks - will bring in a vet AND likely draft someone in the first few rounds. 

Also given how atrocious this offense is I don't think it matters where he sat on McAdoos draft board, lol...

https://theathletic.com/3980423/2022/12/08/college-football-nfl-draft-prospects-staples/

Do you think Anthony Richardson should have considered transferring to a better offense rather than declaring? Oregon, Ole Miss, UCLA or Wisconsin could have been good fits. — Jeremy

The Athletic draft guru Dane Brugler and I had a long discussion about this very topic on this week’s episode of  “Prospects To Pros” on “The Athletic Football Show” feed. Richardson’s situation absolutely fascinates both of us.

He has the size of an NFL tight end with the speed of an NFL corner and he probably has the strongest arm of any quarterback in the 2023 NFL draft. But if you were fielding a team (college or NFL), you’d easily choose Alabama’s Bryce Young, Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud and probably Kentucky’s Will Levis over Richardson.

Because of those traits I mentioned above, Richardson probably will be selected somewhere in the first two rounds of the draft, and it’s possible he could go low in the first round. But combine those traits with one year of above-average production in college and someone is taking Richardson in the top 10. That’s a huge financial difference. Class of 2022 No. 10 pick Garrett Wilson received a four-year, $20.6 million deal (with a team option for a fifth year) that included a $12.1 million signing bonus. Class of 2022 No. 50 pick Tyquan Thornton signed a four-year, $7.1 million contract with a $2.3 million signing bonus.

There probably was serious money available if Richardson could have a more productive 2023 in college. Had he stayed at Florida and posted big numbers or gone elsewhere and lit up the scoreboard, he might have challenged USC’s Caleb Williams or North Carolina’s Drake Maye for the hearts and minds (and wallets) of NFL teams. But there also was a risk to staying at the college level.

Richardson couldn’t unseat Emory Jones as Florida’s starter in 2021, something that usually gets blamed on former Gators coach Dan Mullen. Enter new coach Billy Napier, who made clear on day one that Richardson was QB1. In Napier’s offense, Richardson completed 53.8 percent of his passes and averaged 7.8 yards per attempt, which placed him tied for No. 48 in the nation. He’d mix brilliant, NFL throws with curious short hops or overthrows. In Florida’s 45-38 loss to Florida State, Richardson completed five of his first seven throws for 151 yards and three touchdowns. He completed only four of his next 20 passes for 47 yards. That game felt like a microcosm of Richardson’s time at Florida. WOW, followed by HUH?

What might have happened if Richardson had stayed at Florida or gone elsewhere and posted similar or worse numbers? Then NFL personnel people — who at this point may still draft him fairly high because of his elite traits — might just say “he is who he is” and drop him down their boards. This would have been especially risky had Richardson transferred and then failed to produce at a high level in a third different offense.

I’m very curious to see how Richardson emerges from the pre-draft process. Some NFL team is going to pick him with the hope that those traits will turn into production. The question is how high?

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, mav1234 said:

By leans I mean expects him to start etc. It just isn't happening dude.  He was a project, he looked terrible in preseason, and he's been out with an injury.  He'll have a shot in preseason, but nobody in their right mind goes into next season with him penciled in as a starter, unless the goal is somehow to tank. We don't know what of his college skills translated to the NFL because of how bad he was in preseason, how poorly he was handled, and the injury that prevents us from seeing him now.  

It doesn't matter if he's the only QB under contract next year... The new coach - or hell even Wilks - will bring in a vet AND likely draft someone in the first few rounds. 

Also given how atrocious this offense is I don't think it matters where he sat on McAdoos draft board, lol...

But he was MCADOO’s number 1 choice out of last year’s QBs?!?!?!

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Not sure I'd call shot in the dark early December mock drafts "linking" him to us. I mean, we don't even know what our organization is going to look like come draft day. I don't think anyone can honestly draw any sort of conclusions about what our draft board might eventually look like.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Not sure I'd call shot in the dark early December mock drafts "linking" him to us. I mean, we don't even know what our organization is going to look like come draft day. I don't think anyone can honestly draw any sort of conclusions about what our draft board might eventually look like.

True but I think most national folks (and us on here) are slowly figuring out we will not have the draft spot to get a top 3 qb.  And seeing as we are most def going to get someone this draft and we will have a new coaching staff people are putting 2 and 2 together and slotting AR to us. 

Obviously these mocks dont have trades yet so that is another angle we will have to consider closer to the draft.  But the main point is that its a real possibility that he is an option for us

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah I think it’s more saying he might be the 3rd QB off the board and possibly a top 10 pick. If we have the right staff and stay in this range for the draft that very well could be our pick. 

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He'd mix brilliant, NFL throws with curious short hops or overthrows. In Florida’s 45-38 loss to Florida State, Richardson completed five of his first seven throws for 151 yards and three touchdowns. He completed only four of his next 20 passes for 47 yards. That game felt like a microcosm of Richardson’s time at Florida. WOW, followed by HUH?

Sounds oddly familiar...

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Feels too early to take him… rather trade back. We will see though. 

I agree, but if we think he is the guy we want in the first I'm not sure you want to trade back and risk someone else gambling on him.  If we feel is is only slightly better than a few other options like Levis then I understand trading back.  

Also if GA manhandles OSU like I think they will, Stroud may fall to us...

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://theathletic.com/3980423/2022/12/08/college-football-nfl-draft-prospects-staples/

Do you think Anthony Richardson should have considered transferring to a better offense rather than declaring? Oregon, Ole Miss, UCLA or Wisconsin could have been good fits. — Jeremy

The Athletic draft guru Dane Brugler and I had a long discussion about this very topic on this week’s episode of  “Prospects To Pros” on “The Athletic Football Show” feed. Richardson’s situation absolutely fascinates both of us.

He has the size of an NFL tight end with the speed of an NFL corner and he probably has the strongest arm of any quarterback in the 2023 NFL draft. But if you were fielding a team (college or NFL), you’d easily choose Alabama’s Bryce Young, Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud and probably Kentucky’s Will Levis over Richardson.

Because of those traits I mentioned above, Richardson probably will be selected somewhere in the first two rounds of the draft, and it’s possible he could go low in the first round. But combine those traits with one year of above-average production in college and someone is taking Richardson in the top 10. That’s a huge financial difference. Class of 2022 No. 10 pick Garrett Wilson received a four-year, $20.6 million deal (with a team option for a fifth year) that included a $12.1 million signing bonus. Class of 2022 No. 50 pick Tyquan Thornton signed a four-year, $7.1 million contract with a $2.3 million signing bonus.

There probably was serious money available if Richardson could have a more productive 2023 in college. Had he stayed at Florida and posted big numbers or gone elsewhere and lit up the scoreboard, he might have challenged USC’s Caleb Williams or North Carolina’s Drake Maye for the hearts and minds (and wallets) of NFL teams. But there also was a risk to staying at the college level.

Richardson couldn’t unseat Emory Jones as Florida’s starter in 2021, something that usually gets blamed on former Gators coach Dan Mullen. Enter new coach Billy Napier, who made clear on day one that Richardson was QB1. In Napier’s offense, Richardson completed 53.8 percent of his passes and averaged 7.8 yards per attempt, which placed him tied for No. 48 in the nation. He’d mix brilliant, NFL throws with curious short hops or overthrows. In Florida’s 45-38 loss to Florida State, Richardson completed five of his first seven throws for 151 yards and three touchdowns. He completed only four of his next 20 passes for 47 yards. That game felt like a microcosm of Richardson’s time at Florida. WOW, followed by HUH?

What might have happened if Richardson had stayed at Florida or gone elsewhere and posted similar or worse numbers? Then NFL personnel people — who at this point may still draft him fairly high because of his elite traits — might just say “he is who he is” and drop him down their boards. This would have been especially risky had Richardson transferred and then failed to produce at a high level in a third different offense.

I’m very curious to see how Richardson emerges from the pre-draft process. Some NFL team is going to pick him with the hope that those traits will turn into production. The question is how high?

Honestly, Richardson may benefit more from shadowing/being an understudy than just going to a pass-heavy/stat padding Pac-12 offense.  He needs refinement as a passer and needs to learn the NFL game, maybe the sooner he starts at that the better?

Where he ends up will definitely be interesting.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree, but if we think he is the guy we want in the first I'm not sure you want to trade back and risk someone else gambling on him.  If we feel is is only slightly better than a few other options like Levis then I understand trading back.  

Also if GA manhandles OSU like I think they will, Stroud may fall to us...

I’d take AR over Stroud. Stroud is just a taller Teddy Bridgewater.  Stroud touts above average to average arm strength and throw to open receivers, not throws receivers open. He does not possess a single “elite” qb trait.  

the ceiling i could see for stroud is Goff- like and the floor is Zach Wilson. I expect career results similar to Teddy though. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I’d take AR over Stroud. Stroud is just a taller Teddy Bridgewater.  Stroud touts above average to average arm strength and throw to open receivers, not throws receivers open. He does not possess a single “elite” qb trait.  

the ceiling i could see for stroud is Goff- like and the floor is Zach Wilson. I expect career results similar to Teddy though. 

I like him and think he has a great arm.  Looks good dropping the ball in through different layers of defenses.  He hasn't had much adversity to overcome and has the greatest WR in college football on his team. 

He has been all over the place from different analysts and scouts though.  I've seem some rate him as the top guy and others say he needs to stay another year.  It will be interesting to see where they all land.