• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Darnold Podcast

Jackie Lee

48 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Imagine having Sam Darnold's bank account. I'd manage.

crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

That's a fine argument if you want to make it, but it's applied very selectively.  How often do you hear on here "I feel so bad for poor DJ Moore who has had to catch passes from terrible QBs his entire career" while he's getting paid handsomely?  Or imagine all the "we failed Cam Newton and surrounded him with trash his entire career" arguments being met with "but bank account tho..../thread".

Those aren't my beliefs about DJ and Cam btw, I do have quite a bit of sympathy for them because I don't think it's all about the money.  But if your position is that making bank precludes you from sympathy, then that would apply to every rich NFL player making millions upon millions of dollars.  And I can already hear the outrage of "Did you just compare Sam Darnold to DJ Moore and Cam Newton?!", in which case thank you for agreeing with me that there are other factors besides money lol.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

That's a fine argument if you want to make it, but it's applied very selectively.  How often do you hear on here "I feel so bad for poor DJ Moore who has had to catch passes from terrible QBs his entire career" while he's getting paid handsomely?  Or imagine all the "we failed Cam Newton and surrounded him with trash his entire career" arguments being met with "but bank account tho..../thread".

Those aren't my beliefs about DJ and Cam btw, I do have quite a bit of sympathy for them because I don't think it's all about the money.  But if your position is that making bank precludes you from sympathy, then that would apply to every rich NFL player making millions upon millions of dollars.  And I can already hear the outrage of "Did you just compare Sam Darnold to DJ Moore and Cam Newton?!", in which case thank you for agreeing with me that there are other factors besides money lol.

The difference is that Cam and DJ had/have the ability. Sam Darnold doesn't. He has the physical tools but he's not a QB between the ears. He doesn't see the field like a QB. He doesn't process the information quick enough. He can't revert to instinct and get out of his thinking mind. I don't think it can be taught. You either have it or you don't. He doesn't. He has done a great job of maximizing what he had to work with and translating that to wealth. Good for him. I ain't mad at him. But I don't feel sorry for him either.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, frankw said:

Tell that to debt collectors. He's made just shy of 50 million dollars over the course his career so far. He doesn't need the huddles sympathy guys.

I mean, I've heard the saying (in so many words) that "Backup QB in the NFL is the best job in sports." I'm not gonna hate on him for making his bag, but I'm not going to fret over him bombing out as a QB either. He's doing OK for himself financially. He seems pretty centered and mature as well, so I suspect he'll be good if he has a resurgence as a legit starter, finds a home as a longstanding backup, or washes out of the league. 

37 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I've heard the saying (in so many words) that "Backup QB in the NFL is the best job in sports." I'm not gonna hate on him for making his bag, but I'm not going to fret over him bombing out as a QB either. He's doing OK for himself financially. He seems pretty centered and mature as well, so I suspect he'll be good if he has a resurgence as a legit starter, finds a home as a longstanding backup, or washes out of the league. 

Oh of course nobody here would turn down that money either. I agree he should be set for life with 50 million bucks plus the chance to earn more as he is only 25. Darnold has and will get more opportunities and that's more than can be said for some other QB's who have washed out of the league for different reasons some being less fair than others. That was the overall point I was making.

• Beer 1

On 12/7/2022 at 6:58 AM, SmokinwithWilly said:

Imagine having to go to work every day and the success of your career being led by Adam Gase and Matt Rhule as the 2 coaches in charge of your development to this point. It hurts to even type that. 

Add in his averages ranked oline his entire career is like 28.

For reference, Cam’s was 17/18.

He’s not a starter but I feel he could’ve been a high caliber back up in this league if he wasn’t fuged day 1. His bad natural tendencies from college are still there but you cannot tell me he hasn’t gained new ones playing for trash organizations, olines and coaches.