• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good is Brian Burns 2022 campaign?

micnificent28

1 minute ago, Castavar said:

I gotta disagree.

I can't remember the last time Burns had what would be called a "clutch" sack. A play where if he doesn't make that sack, we potentially lose the game. The majority of the time he whiffs on those kind of plays tbh

atlanta a few weeks ago, big 3rd down sack but yeah that was weeks ago

If you're going to run a 4-3, then you need big, strong DEs that can play on the line and be consistent in run support. Burns really ain't that dude, but yet he still does enough to look good on the stat line because of his natural speed and athleticism. He'd likely benefit in a 3-4, but if the plan is to keep him in a 4-3, then you must put a more traditional pass rushing DE on the other side. For a DC who knows what he's doing, maybe he could maximize each player's strengths by having them switch sides depending on the strategy of the opposition.

Burns isn't a bad player at all, he's actually a good problem to have (and, yes, we chose to keep him which is a problem), but you have to use him effectively to allow his ability to shine. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

16 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

amazing how much hate Burns gets around here. and yet Derrick Brown while improved this season is still looking not worth the pick we drafted him at. 

Discussing Burns' glaring weaknesses and feeling they shouldn't pat astronomical sums because of them is not 'hating', and Brown was (deservedly) criticized very heavily in the past before improving big time this year. Unlike Burns, however, no one offered two 1st rounders for Brown only to have the team decline. Quality play + no trade controversy = less discussion. Reasonable.

'Hate' and 'hating' are very mis/overused terms and just cliche at this point.

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

If you're going to run a 4-3, then you need big, strong DEs that can play on the line and be consistent in run support. Burns really ain't that dude, but yet he still does enough to look good on the stat line because of his natural speed and athleticism. He'd likely benefit in a 3-4, but if the plan is to keep him in a 4-3, then you must put a more traditional pass rushing DE on the other side. For a DC who knows what he's doing, maybe he could maximize each player's strengths by having them switch sides depending on the strategy of the opposition.

Burns isn't a bad player at all, he's actually a good problem to have (and, yes, we chose to keep him which is a problem), but you have to use him effectively to allow his ability to shine. 

If he switches sides he should always rotate to the boundary.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

That’s possible, or we could commiserate as the Rams select Herbert Jr to replace Stafford or watch Myles Garrett Jr and TJ Watt Jr create a Rams DL that makes them forget Aaron Donald’s retirement.

Given the three picks and the ability to sign Reddick and Corbett with Burns’ contract money savings, I’d bet unless Fitterer blows badly that we’d gain more talent overall than we lose.

It’s not about Burns’ talent, he’s solid, it’s about taking a risk that the bounty is game changing for the team’s future. Stuck at 5 wins again, we should be taking risks not hoping we can add one piece per draft.

I was saying it's likely we'll regret NOT trading Burns. I'm a believer in valuing draft picks due to the salary cap savings when you skew towards a younger roster.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

7 minutes ago, ChibCU said:

I was saying it's likely we'll regret NOT trading Burns. I'm a believer in valuing draft picks due to the salary cap savings when you skew towards a younger roster.

::Sigh::

30. Los Angeles Rams (4-10 | last week: 29)

The Rams were eliminated from playoff contention with their loss on Monday night to Green Bay. But that was merely a formality—this season has long been over for the reigning Super Bowl champs. Losing Andrew Whitworth and Von Miller in the offseason proved costly at the start of the season, and then key injuries to Cooper Kupp, Matthew Stafford, and others only made things worse. Returning to postseason contention starts with keeping the gang (e.g. Kupp, Stafford, Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, and Sean McVay) together in 2023.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1