• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Crazy Idea: Sign UFA Minshew, Draft a TE

MHS831

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The price of mediocrity, I suppose. Now that QBs cost 25% of the cap, it is tough to decide when to take that leap, but I agree.

Only if you trade for or sign a veteran star QB.  Drafting a QB even in the 1st gives you a few years to evaluate whether or not they are worth that kind of a contract.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Only if you trade for or sign a veteran star QB.  Drafting a QB even in the 1st gives you a few years to evaluate whether or not they are worth that kind of a contract.

Oh, I agree.  If the stars align, you definitely do that--and sign Minshew (or another low salary).  If you sign a free agent for $15m and a rookie for $6m, you still have four years before you have to make that commitment.

• Pie 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

Oh, I agree.  If the stars align, you definitely do that--and sign Minshew (or another low salary).  If you sign a free agent for $15m and a rookie for $6m, you still have four years before you have to make that commitment.

Not sure who will be available in FA off the top of my head.  But I would rather take a shot on a rookie QB in the draft, and use some of the salary savings to pay a free agent TE.  Good TEs are hard to draft, but if one is available in FA he could help our QB immediately.

20 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Not sure who will be available in FA off the top of my head.  But I would rather take a shot on a rookie QB in the draft, and use some of the salary savings to pay a free agent TE.  Good TEs are hard to draft, but if one is available in FA he could help our QB immediately.

I think we can get a good TE in this year's second round--so you could still grab a QB, free agent, Corral, and have a team ready to compete.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I think we can get a good TE in this year's second round--so you could still grab a QB, free agent, Corral, and have a team ready to compete.

I mean maybe you could.  But if you look at the recent draft history for TE's, you are much more likely to get another Tommy Tremble than anyone who can help a rookie QB.  Something about that position makes transition to the NFL very difficult.  I think we need someone like Greg who can punish zone defenses and be a safety valve for our QB day 1 next year.  We don't have anyone on the team who can do that right now since we traded CMC.

20 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I mean maybe you could.  But if you look at the recent draft history for TE's, you are much more likely to get another Tommy Tremble than anyone who can help a rookie QB.  Something about that position makes transition to the NFL very difficult.  I think we need someone like Greg who can punish zone defenses and be a safety valve for our QB day 1 next year.  We don't have anyone on the team who can do that right now since we traded CMC.

You are not wrong.  I am basing my opinion on the fact that we will have an early second rounder and the draft is pretty deep at TE.  We agree that TE is a huge need, but if we pick 40th for example,  we could get an effective TE.   In the past few years, Pat Freiermuth went 55th overall (2nd round), Greg Dulitch (Broncos Rookie) went 80th overall--both are good offensive threats.  If we could only save our first rounder for a QB of the future---it would be a win win.

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 1

On 12/14/2022 at 4:32 PM, Untouchable said:

Side note, Dan Arnold coming back open as a free agent again this off-season. Could see him coming back as a cheap vet with minimal guaranteed money to get use out of until the rookie takes over.

Dan Arnold was not a great run blocker, if he had been he might still be here.

On 12/14/2022 at 6:32 AM, MHS831 said:

Now that we are out of the running for a top QB in this draft--and I doubt we have the capital to move up--I say take a close look at Gardner Minshew.  Draft a stud Offensive weapon TE instead.

The Minshew deal would remind me of the Jake Delhomme acquisition.  We would have a 26-27 year old QB who is a fiery leader.  A solid OL, and a new tool for the offense--today's NFL offenses need a productive receiving TE.  If we continue to run the ball, you do not need a $50m QB.

With the way the Defense is playing, and if we can improve the Offense at 2 spots (TE, QB), I think the Panthers would be in "win now" mode. 

I am just speculating for fun, and I realize there are hundreds of scenarios, but I have always liked Minshew and I think, in the right system, he could be very good.

Glad to see you come around to my way of thinking.  About time! 😄

Who was the dude hyping Michael Mayer, oh say, 3-4 months ago????