• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Crazy Idea: Sign UFA Minshew, Draft a TE

MHS831

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Correct, the Lions weren't utilizing him a la Greg Olsen in Chicago.  Being traded doesn't necessarily the player is a bust, rather it's not a fit schematically or another team is interested and the package is good enough to part with the player.

Yeah I think my point is (like Greg Olsen) you can acquire talented TEs without spending a first round pick on one (especially not a top 10 pick).  They are great to have, but tend to be a low value position for whatever reason.  

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I think my point is (like Greg Olsen) you can acquire talented TEs without spending a first round pick on one (especially not a top 10 pick).  They are great to have, but tend to be a low value position for whatever reason.  

I generally agree with you on TEs whose value just like RBs (recently).  However, every so often there's one worth taking in the around the top 10.  Top 5, never, I would agree.

• Pie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. Still my favorite scenario this draft.  We should not trade up for a QB this year, Levis and Richardson have serious issues (Richardson extremely raw, Levis just not that good).  Trade back a few spots, draft Mayer, pick up a couple of picks and retool the offense while adding 2-3 pieces on the defense.

Next year's draft at QB is so much better and the pieces we draft this year on offense will already have a season under their belt.  If we sit that guy for a year, then the players we take this draft will have TWO years under their belt. 

Point being, we have to eventually draft a QB, but set the guy up for success.

25 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Bump. Still my favorite scenario this draft.  We should not trade up for a QB this year, Levis and Richardson have serious issues (Richardson extremely raw, Levis just not that good).  Trade back a few spots, draft Mayer, pick up a couple of picks and retool the offense while adding 2-3 pieces on the defense.

Next year's draft at QB is so much better and the pieces we draft this year on offense will already have a season under their belt.  If we sit that guy for a year, then the players we take this draft will have TWO years under their belt. 

Point being, we have to eventually draft a QB, but set the guy up for success.

Right.  If we draft a QB this year, he develops for a year on the bench, we'd have to re-sign Darnold (speculation) and how much better off are we?  Then we have 4 years left on a rookie contract, and the franchise has to wait for these first rounders to develop.  We might as well take Herndon in the third round or so--his numbers in college were better--and he would be ready the same time AR or Levis would.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

I wanted to include Minshew ina draft Trade package back when he was a Jaguar. I still think he can start in this league. I think we would have been a playoff team this year with him at the Helm and with better coaching this upcoming year, i don’t see why we wouldn’t be a playoff team with him next year. He is more of a leader than anyone we have had recently. 

• Pie 2

18 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

I wanted to include Minshew ina draft Trade package back when he was a Jaguar. I still think he can start in this league. I think we would have been a playoff team this year with him at the Helm and with better coaching this upcoming year, i don’t see why we wouldn’t be a playoff team with him next year. He is more of a leader than anyone we have had recently. 

to me, he is like Jake Delhomme--I think he can win in the league, and he would make a perfect bridge qb.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

to me, he is like Jake Delhomme--I think he can win in the league, and he would make a perfect bridge qb.

Yep, Jake bounced around and was one of those quality #2 QBs that just couldn't crack the #1 spot, even playing well in spot duty.  I remember him being signed to the Panthers to compete with Rodney Pete.  He somehow lost out in camp, but when Pete sucked that first half against Jax and got yanked, then in came Jake...well, the rest was history.