• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft a QB or Re-Up with Darnold?

bLACKpANTHER

We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?

• Trade Up in Draft to get a Top 4 QB
    • Draft a lower ranked QB
    • Pass on young QBs, re-sign Darnold & address other needs (DE, TE, WR)
    • Pass on young QBs, sign FA QB (Lamar, Brady, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, Geno)

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

7 total attempts 5+ yards beyond the LOS (and two of those were 6 yards). Only 4 10+ yards. The entire offensive game plan is basically "don't let Sam Darnold throw the game away".

To some degree that was probably more-or-less part of the gameplan, although I'd frame it as "let's run the ball against a weak run defense" which I'm surprised is such a shocking bombshell strategy to some people.  Hey we have a not-so-great QB and a really good run game and we're playing against a team with a much stronger pass defense and a bottom 5 run defense.  Hmmm what to do...what to do...truly quite a difficult decision.  If we had Darnold airing the ball out downfield in a game where we were up 17-0 early in the 2nd quarter and in control for the entire game, with a strong run game, against a weak run defense, I'd really be questioning Wilks' competence.

All that aside, I say to some degree that was probably more-or-less the gameplan because Darnold was clearly going through progressions downfield throughout the majority of the game, so simply looking at his passing chart and his attempts and saying that must have been the "gameplan" is a pretty surface-level assessment which makes sense for someone who admits to not having watched the game.  Whether receivers weren't getting open or Darnold was just too conservative to pull the trigger down the field, I can't say without watching the All-22 film.

To the OP: I can't imagine seeing enough out of Darnold this season to convince me to forego drafting a QB if there's one available that we think is worth taking.  Signing him as a back-up to a cheap contract?  Sure, I'm already fine with that...he seems like a good teammate and is serviceable enough as a back-up.  But even if we go undefeated the rest of the season and even manage to win a game or two in the playoffs, I'd need to see Darnold actually take over a few of those games where we win on the back of our passing game to think of him as anything more than that.  Simply winning because he hands the ball off and doesn't turn the ball over isn't nearly good enough for me.

• Pie 2

It would not be out of the question to sign the best free agent QB available and if there is still a QB left in the draft the Panthers like they can select him.

This way the team would have a reliable free agent QB, plus two young ones to chose from or develop as the season progresses.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

None Of The Above

We already have Corral. We don't need another. Sam sucks. Trading up loses us valuable future picks. Going the FA route is what we've done and it doesn't work.

What if the team does nothing as you suggest and Corral proves in training camp he is not the answer, plus a recent drafted QB is not ready to start? 

There has to be a backup up plan before training camp and a veteran QB will have to be involved in the plan, whether it is Sam Darnold or some other free agent QB.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

If we run the table, that means Sam Darnold just went 6-0.  How do you not offer him a contract?

Easily. Darnold is what he at this point and that is not an NFL starting caliber QB. Use logic, not emotion. Which better be what Fitts/Tepper/whoever the GM ends up running the clown show does when it comes time for new contracts.

• Pie 3

24 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Easily. Darnold is what he at this point and that is not an NFL starting caliber QB. Use logic, not emotion. Which better be what Fitts/Tepper/whoever the GM ends up running the clown show does when it comes time for new contracts.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Darnold is a long-term solution or will get us where we need to be.

The original premise was running the table.  That means Darnold goes 6-0 and we make the playoffs.  If he does, then he should get a reasonable contract from us commensurate with his contribution.  Our M.O. is to run the ball, wear teams out, and force turnovers on defense.  You don't need a superstar QB to manage that, nor do you need to burn draft assets moving up for a guy.

But we need to improve the position, and the best way to do that is in the draft, which occurs after free agency.  We need to draft a guy and have him compete with Corral.  By 2024 - Corral or our new guy should be ready to roll.  Darnold will be a cap casualty or hold a clipboard.

• Pie 1