• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold Props

TheCasillas

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Thank you for this. I appreciate you pulling this together. Looks like the other poster wanted to turn this into an argument as opposed to just review some data. 

have a happy holiday!

Interesting numbers for sure. The broadcast mentioned Darnold’s high YPC today which had me doing a little research earlier. Darnold’s air yards per attempt are in the average range (4.2) but the best QB’s in the league also have their numbers in that range as well (Mahomes and Burrow are both at 4.3).

The real important thing here is that Sam’s pocket time before pressure is at 2.8 seconds, that’s the highest amount of time with a clean pocket for any QB that’s played at least 4 games.

Just for shits and giggles.

Darnold - 2.8 seconds of pocket time before pressure, averaging 4.2 air yards per attempt, with a 61.4 completion percentage

Mahomes - 2.6 seconds of pocket time before pressure, 4.3 air yards per attempt, 66.9 completion percentage

Obviously Darnold isn’t Mahomes and it’s a small sample size, but if he brings his completion percentage up a bit then the Panthers might actually have something.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Well that cuts both ways doesn't it? We all have seen the results when Darnold has threw more because he had to. Goff still put 21 points on the board. Darnold had a formidable run game do much of the heavy lifting. And again just a week ago I had people telling me that Trubisky didn't outplay Darnold because he too had a formidable rushing attack. Some of these responses are why Sam gets the rep he has around here. You guys make too big a deal out of even average results. We need more. And consistently against tougher competition. That's not a slight against Darnold or any other QB on our roster. It's just realism. Happy with the win though. Good talk.

Put 23 points on the board, most were after he did diddly between the 7-7 score to start the game (well he did fumble deep inside our 10) and until after it was 31 to 7. Instead 4 drives for 1 total yard and d folded for them, game over. Golf clap for goff. Yeah he had 3 more drive after 31-7 that to make it a little more respectable. Big f'n deal. That's like  "God mode" faker mayfield against the Bengals in the 2nd half after that game was decided..... Y'all ate that stupid poo up that game and Goff here after the game was all but dusted.

Sam still had multiple big passes all game to go with the historic running game. Unlike gribble last week, he wasn't just doing this in 3rd and super short either, but multiple with down and 8+ to go. But that's not enough with 300+ on the ground, lunacy! What do you want from him, perfect completion percentage and never fail to put up a TD?

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, chbright said:

Put 23 points on the board, most were after he did diddly between the 7-7 score to start the game (well he did fumble deep inside our 10) and until after it was 31 to 7. Instead 4 drives for 1 total yard and d folded for them, game over. Golf clap for goff. Yeah he had 3 more drive after 31-7 that to make it a little more respectable. Big f'n deal. That's like  "God mode" faker mayfield against the Bengals in the 2nd half after that game was decided..... Y'all ate that stupid poo up that game and Goff here after the game was all but dusted.

Sam still had multiple big passes all game to go with the historic running game. Unlike gribble last week, he wasn't just doing this in 3rd and super short either, but multiple with down and 8+ to go. But that's not enough with 300+ on the ground, lunacy! What do you want from him, perfect completion percentage and never fail to put up a TD?

Who is ya'll? Baker Mayfielf has been eviscerated here over and over. And Darnold still couldn't beat out that man in camp. When fans of other teams read this board they laugh their asses off at the homers hyping up Darnold. Do you though buddy.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Who is ya'll? Baker Mayfielf has been eviscerated here over and over. And Darnold still couldn't beat out that man in camp. When fans of other teams read this board they laugh their asses off at the homers hyping up Darnold. Do you though buddy.

Literally said Sam is 20-30 QB in the league and draft another QB in this very thread, but you but let your hate flow today cause Sam didn't fail, yet again. Keep propping up garbage time fantasy stat king Goff in here as somehow outplaying him to 4 straight punts and 1 total yard. Outplayed my ass.

Couldn't beat Mayfield like Bozeman couldn't unseat elf when rhule was here. Or we kept pushing Anderson out there over marshall. Yeah I'll laugh at your stupidity to latch who came out on top in camp under rhule the fool. Troll on dude!

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, chbright said:

Literally said Sam is 20-30 QB in the league and draft another QB in this very thread, but you but let your hate flow today cause Sam didn't fail, yet again. Keep propping up garbage time fantasy stat king Goff in here as somehow outplaying him to 4 straight punts and 1 total yard. Outplayed my ass.

Couldn't beat Mayfield like Bozeman couldn't unseat elf when rhule was here. Or we kept pushing Anderson out there over marshall. Yeah I'll laugh at your stupidity to latch who came out on top in camp under rhule the fool. Troll on dude!

Sam didn't fail because we had 300 rushing yards. I think you're trolling yourself here my guy. Sober up.

• Beer 1

If you put any faith in ESPN's QBR, this was one of Darnold's best performances of his career, with a 85.7, to go along with a 121.4 QB rating (his 2nd highest of his career).  I don't think it is fair to say that he was carried entirely by our rushing attack - his passing game was a pretty big participant early in the game in generating the lead.

On our second TD drive, he used both his arms and his legs to make the difference there - hard to really claim he was just being carried... Third TD drive started with huge gash plays from the passing game. He worked the clock beautifully to end the half... of course, Hubbard's massive run was a big reason we could get a FG there.  But the TD that put the game out of reach in the 3rd was all DJ and Sam.

Even compared to his good performances last year, he did a better job stretching the field this game.  But its just one game... Need to see him keep that up.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

This is just a random thought after watching former MVP frontrunner Carson Wentz struggle to be consistent because of flaws, and i don't feel like this warrants its own thread as I'm not even sold on running with this after a streak of two solid games.

What would you be okay with betting on Sam Darnold if you feel you can get at worst a 2017 Bortles and at best a 2017 Wentz

Like as we win you gotta look at all the options and if you're being real, sometimes its better to stick with the devil you do know. I feel if you know how to win with Sam (strong defense, strong running game) and you know he has the arm talent, and we have the o-line. I feel like a competent coach would help him even more. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Panther53521 said:

there is only 3-4 plays in a game that you need your QB a superstar. 

I would say this largely depends on who the opposing QB is. If you're trying to go score for score with a Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, you're going to need more plays where you need your QB to be a super star.

• Pie 1

Just now, Tr3ach said:

He made some great throws/reads sprinting to his right with defenders chasing him throwing across his body back to the middle of the field in a full run that the receivers dropped.  I believe it was Ian Thomas that dropped them both.

Hopefully the Panthers will find a solid tight end in next year's draft. It's one position I can already start 'scouting' (watching YouTube full game snap cuts) to get an idea of who we may draft.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1