• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some Good Ol' Sam Appreciation

TheCasillas

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Ryan Leaf in skinny jeans explaining to the world why Sam Darnold is a good quarterback is not what I expected to see today.

As a older big man, Ive been waiting for the skinny jean fad to end.....I feel its going on 15ish years and I cannot/will not join the cult.. 65328cafb565bd4d997206367cb8aea8.jpg.42cb998ab422cba7cbe33e258a059e6d.jpg

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1

1 hour ago, bythenbrs said:

I love personal redemption stories.  Sam may never put a team on his back and singlehandedly carry it to a win but, subject to laying an egg in the last two games, if he continues to play like this, he could become a competent backup or even a bridge QB for the Panthers.  And, if not here, someone else will give him that opportunity.

Would be a shame to drop kick him to the curb at the end of the season, right when he is figuring out how to win and we now have a real NFL o-line to protect him, and a vastly improving run game to support him.  It would be the Panther thing to do, to release him and he blooms [modestly] somewhere else.  His ceiling may be a lite beer version of Geno Smith or Ryan Tannehill but, for a backup or bridge QB, that would be enough.

So, two more games left to evaluate his progress.

Those 2 QBs you mentioned as comparisons are this year a top 10 QB, and historically been a top 10 QB. If Sams ceiling is a Pro Bowl, top 10 QB we really have to think about keeping him here for a few more years at the very least. Also might put us in a position to not have to reach for a QB in the first. Maybe we can get a stud DE, MLB, TE or WE instead?

• Pie 7

55 minutes ago, Basbear said:

As a older big man, Ive been waiting for the skinny jean fad to end.....I feel its going on 15ish years and I cannot/will not join the cult.. /cdn-cgi/mirage/10ee685e5e5ec413d73154605278f5d1282157412d852602c75283839c8dc257/1280/https://www.carolinahuddle.com/uploads/monthly_2022_12/65328cafb565bd4d997206367cb8aea8.jpg.42cb998ab422cba7cbe33e258a059e6d.jpg

IGame Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

• Beer 1

I may have missed it on the breakdown, buy that tip-toe sideline pass/catch from Darnold to DJ was one of the prettiest passes I've seen all season.  Was absolutely amazed that DJ was able to catch it and and stay in bounds.  Darnold threw it as perfectly as it could be thrown and still give DJ a chance...

• Pie 5

50 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

4TH best quarterback in the month of December. 

Sam isn't just managing the game, critics. 

Though he did say in a recent interview that it's been far better for him when the running game is working and he does not have to play "Hero ball". 

Here is the interview in case you missed it :

What I got out of that is that Sam is far more comfortable in this type of offense than the offense we see involving QB's that air it out.  

There's nothing wrong with that but considering other Franchise QBs who excel (throw the ball all over the place short, medium, and deep passes with accuracy and regularity no matter if the running game is working or not) in less than ideal situations, I think Sam ultimately isn't going to be *THE* long-term answer at QB.

But at the very least, he will be "an answer" for the time being until we find our Franchise QB.   And frankly, that's way more than many of us expected coming into this season where some of us thought Sam was a  lost cause and was fast on his way out of the league like a Jamarcus Russell or, ironically enough, Ryan Leaf.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 4

3 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Though he did say in a recent interview that it's been far better for him when the running game is working and he does not have to play "Hero ball". 

What I got out of that is that Sam is far more comfortable in this type of offense than the offense we see involving QB's that air it out.  

There's nothing wrong with that but considering other Franchise QBs who excel (throw the ball all over the place short, medium, and deep passes with accuracy and regularity no matter if the running game is working or not) in less than ideal situations, I think Sam ultimately isn't going to be *THE* long-term answer at QB.

But at the very least, he will be "an answer" for the time being until we find our Franchise QB.   And frankly, that's way more than many of us expected coming into this season where some of us thought Sam was a  lost cause and was fast on his way out of the league like a Jamarcus Russell or, ironically enough, Ryan Leaf.

I figured someone would over react to my statement.   

Personally,  if need someone who has to constantly play hero ball, we're fuged.  Even the best make mistakes when playing hero ball.   

Sam is.making strides, and he is certainly capable of.playing at a higher level, as he has the talent to do so. He just needs to be able to trust his oline, and his weapons. 

Every QB needs to be able to rely on his teammates. This is the ultimate team sport. 

I'm not saying Sam is a Franchise guy, but I know the book is not written on him yet. 

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I figured someone would over react to my statement.   

Personally,  if need someone who has to constantly play hero ball, we're fuged.  Even the best make mistakes when playing hero ball.   

Sam is.making strides, and he is certainly capable of.playing at a higher level, as he has the talent to do so. He just needs to be able to trust his oline, and his weapons. 

Every QB needs to be able to rely on his teammates. This is the ultimate team sport. 

I'm not saying Sam is a Franchise guy, but I know the book is not written on him yet. 

Maybe not a franchise guy  (and I still believe he is young enough, talented enough that maybe...)but competent starting QB, yes.

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I may have missed it on the breakdown, buy that tip-toe sideline pass/catch from Darnold to DJ was one of the prettiest passes I've seen all season.  Was absolutely amazed that DJ was able to catch it and and stay in bounds.  Darnold threw it as perfectly as it could be thrown and still give DJ a chance...

We know he has all the physical tools...waiting on him to let the gmae slow down for him. . . Imho.

13 hours ago, Ghostface Chilla said:

Who knew getting the ball out quick and being comfortable in the pocket would equal success at the QB position?! I hope this is the Sam Darnold that we see going forward whether his services are retained here, or he gets a gig elsewhere. I would love to see him get a couple of his favorite WR targets at SC in Carolina, but I'll settle for just solid TE out of the draft as well.   

We need to turn DJ Moore into a #2 and keep the O-line. Bring in a true stud WR. Moore can do his thing over the middle against lesser coverage.  If that happens, Sam will become a superstar, and this team will be extremely, extremely good. 

• Pie 4

4 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

No, that's the one pass they did not show. I kept looking for it but for whatever reason they didn't cover it even though I thought it was the best pass/catch of the game.

That was a real big boy play there.

• Pie 4

5 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

I just had an epiphany.  Maybe, and I’m just spit ballin’ here, having a real NFL o-line, a strong ground game and a scheme that better fits the player’s strengths and weaknesses can turn a ‘hopeless, lost cause’ into a serviceable, marginally productive game manager QB.

That’s wild…

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, bythenbrs said:

I just had an epiphany.  Maybe, and I’m just spit ballin’ here, having a real NFL o-line, a strong ground game and a scheme that better fits the player’s strengths and weaknesses can turn a ‘hopeless, lost cause’ into a serviceable, marginally productive game manager QB.

That’s wild…

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

No sh-t.