• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Really missing Reddick

Jmac

Reddick made his presence FELT. Burns just doesn't, seems to be a lot of sacks at times when momentum has already swung in our favor or the game is out of reach. I cannot think of one game in 4 years that he has TAKEN OVER the game and was the reason we won. And now we are going to HAVE to pay him big money for 9-12 sack a season that means nothing. 

And P.S.

He sucks at run defense too

We paid Jackson instead. Now both of our starting CBs are IR bookends.

It was such a stupid move to let him run away after getting him for so cheap in 2021. He honestly set the framework for Burns' worth, less than Riddick's $15 per year.

• Pie 1

On 1/1/2023 at 6:41 PM, mav1234 said:

For fans it's a 2nd and 2 1sts; for the team it more like 2 2nds and a 3rd depending on where they value the Rams picks in 2024 and 2025.  Orgs generally cut the value of the pick in half each year in the future they are.  Not saying that you and I need to do the same in our minds, just explaining what the apparent thoughts are of football execs there.

We also don't know why the deal wasn't taken... I'm very curious what all went into the decision and I doubt we will ever know.

The problem is that sort of compensation is what top tier QB's have been trading for, so it's very hard to justify keeping Burns given that haul. And I say that as a guy that likes Burns and doesn't want to get rid of him.

That was basically as much as prime Khalil Mack was traded for and while I love Burns, he isn't nearly as dominant as prime Mack was. 

As the old saying goes, they made us an offer we couldn't refuse and....well.....we refused.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

12 hours ago, Waldo said:

We paid Jackson instead. Now both of our starting CBs are IR bookends.

It was such a stupid move to let him run away after getting him for so cheap in 2021. He honestly set the framework for Burns' worth, less than Riddick's $15 per year.

Well, Reddick also might not have wanted to stay here at all and no offer we made may have been worth it to him.

• Beer 1

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

I wonder how much Rhule had to do with that. He could have wanted to play for a contender or he could have been tired of the BS Rhule was constantly spewing. 

That is one of those unknowns that will remain that way until someone talks.

It would be nice to know if it was just a case of him being driven off for a shitty reason.

• Beer 2

39 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, Reddick also might not have wanted to stay here at all and no offer we made may have been worth it to him.

I am guessing he took a we bit less to go to a contender and it looks like a very smart choice at a chance at a ring and great production. 

I'm not sure that was every confirmed but it feels right. No idea if he was told they were spending it on Jackson, low balled him or he decided to go elsewhere first. What could have been if Rhule was fired for being a dud at the end of last year...

• Beer 1

On 1/1/2023 at 6:35 PM, Doc Holiday said:

I think the only difference is we had Jackson and Horn for round 1, if we had Jackson and Horn for todays game we win.

100 friggin percent. Horn is a stud lockdown corner and Jackson is underrated here, a rock solid #2 and complement to Horn. This game came down to Mike Evans burning our practice squad CBs who were only playing due to injuries, it's a bummer but injuries are part of the game and we still could/should've been able to win. But our collective roster, coaching staff is not there yet

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The problem is that sort of compensation is what top tier QB's have been trading for, so it's very hard to justify keeping Burns given that haul. And I say that as a guy that likes Burns and doesn't want to get rid of him.

That was basically as much as prime Khalil Mack was traded for and while I love Burns, he isn't nearly as dominant as prime Mack was. 

As the old saying goes, they made us an offer we couldn't refuse and....well.....we refused.

Usually those top QBs have gone for a first in the year of the trade too. I know it seems trivial to us (the year of the pick) but it does matter a lot to the people making these decisions.

26 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Usually those top QBs have gone for a first in the year of the trade too. I know it seems trivial to us (the year of the pick) but it does matter a lot to the people making these decisions.

Yeah, I understand the thought process but I don't think really any other team in the league would turn down that haul for Burns.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I understand the thought process but I don't think really any other team in the league would turn down that haul for Burns.

I personally think quite a few would, but I also understand why others would want the trade as it would have provided a lot of assets to get our QB. I still do think if either had been a first rounder this year, he'd be in LA.

Ultimately I think he can still improve as his first half of the year was much better actually against the run. I think that the changes to our D coaching staff actually were a very large net negative mid season. Not sure if Snow was better or just how many fewer coaches there were overall...

4 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I personally think quite a few would, but I also understand why others would want the trade as it would have provided a lot of assets to get our QB. I still do think if either had been a first rounder this year, he'd be in LA.

Ultimately I think he can still improve as his first half of the year was much better actually against the run. I think that the changes to our D coaching staff actually were a very large net negative mid season. Not sure if Snow was better or just how many fewer coaches there were overall...

I would generally disagree on the amount of teams that would decline. Maybe there are some situations but probably not many.

Yeah, his production declined a little towards the end of the year but I don't make this determination on the player as much as the compensation. That is a wild amount of draft capital to be holding.

25 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would generally disagree on the amount of teams that would decline. Maybe there are some situations but probably not many.

Yeah, his production declined a little towards the end of the year but I don't make this determination on the player as much as the compensation. That is a wild amount of draft capital to be holding.

I basically think any team secure in their beliefs on the playoffs this year and in the future would decline it, frankly.  He's arguably in the second most important position on the field (and I really do hope he starts to play like that lol). 

I really don't think it is quite the haul a lot of people here do, because again, it was so far in the future - basically the total value was barely over a first round pick this year in the middle of the round (~1170 for the trade vs 1000 for pick 16).  Obviously those draft value charges are highly dependent on how the Panthers viewed the Rams future stock.  Then again, I probably would still have personally done it because I think we need to really hit reset.  Of course, that also means one or both of those first rounders have to hit on an edge rusher, which isn't a guarantee.  Ugh.

Edited by mav1234