• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is there still a case for Wilks?

Mr. Scot

Hell no.  Ellis has been a Wilks fanboi for some time now.  Wilks just showed today exactly what many of us have been saying all along, seems like a good dude over all, good motivator, shitty conservative HC.  (What a familiar description of a Panthers HC...)  He's not even a good DC.  He's a decent secondary coach, where a DC's scheme can overrule his ideas for what kind of cushion DBs should be giving WRs.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Steve Wilks most certainly provides the kind of strong, high character leadership that you want in your organization.

I don't think he'll get the head coaching job, but I'd still love to have him be part of the staff.

Don't really think that'll happen either, but it's possible..

With all the names popping up this cycle there really isn't one that I could see Wilks staying on staff with in a assistant HC role/D personnel...only name I see is Dorsey and even that is meh...maybe Reich?

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think so. He's a defensive guy and the defense actually got worse.

Probably the most important factor in all of this. 

It was also do or die and he lets two guys combine for over 300 yards receiving. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

With all the names popping up this cycle there really isn't one that I could see Wilks staying on staff with in a assistant HC role/D personnel...only name I see is Dorsey and even that is meh...maybe Reich?

Wilks and Shane Steichen were on staff together for a year in San Diego and have some common acquaintances between them.

Whether or not that would be anything meaningful? Unknown.

• Pie 1

The division is lost, but if we come out next Sunday and beat the piss out of the Saints (Like 44-10 type game) to end the year I could see Tepper giving him a shot, plus he has all the locker room support and former player support. 

However, I think Tepper will see him as a watered down Ron Rivera and will go get his guy. I don’t think “his guy” is going to be who everyone else is thinking. I think he’s going to get a former HC. (Quinn, Reich, Harbaugh, etc)

2 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

The division is lost, but if we come out next Sunday and beat the piss out of the Saints (Like 44-10 type game) to end the year I could see Tepper giving him a shot, plus he has all the locker room support and former player support. 

However, I think Tepper will see him as a watered down Ron Rivera and will go get his guy. I don’t think “his guy” is going to be who everyone else is thinking. I think he’s going to get a former HC. (Quinn, Reich, Harbaugh, etc)

I will find a new team if its Dan Quinn

• Flames 1

Here’s my thing: if our division weren’t HISTORICALLY bad, would he be getting anywhere close to as much hype for the head coaching job?

So much has been made about how he “rallied the team to get into the playoff picture!” And that’s true! But we were only in said picture because we’re playing in one of the worst divisions in NFL history.

Like, let’s say one of our division counterparts coasted to the division crown with an 11-12 win season, meaning we were never in the hunt. Is Wilks still a serious candidate for finishing 5-6 even though we’re never in the playoff picture? 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

I will find a new team if its Dan Quinn

Quinn wouldn't be my choice either, but I wouldn't go that far. I'd at least wait to see what kind of offensive staff he built.

From the stuff we've been reading lately though, I don't think it's gonna be a defensive coach.

(which I'm fine with)

I like Ellis but his Wilks parading has been beyond annoying. So much so I stopped following his Twitter account. 
Ellis really wants us to go back to a conservative, old fashioned Foxball way of running this team where we make the playoffs, maybe, every 2 or 3 years. 
I want sustainability and coaches like Wilks will NOT give us that. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1