• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Wilks weren't from Charlotte and a former member of the staff, would you still want him as HC next year?

Ricky Spanish

7 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I think wilks is a fine coach. He's not a bad choice for the next head coach at all. The guy was making wine out of shyt. I mean this team was dead last with rhule at the helm and he made us playoff contenders. Thats without his own coaching staff or players or qb. 

Do i want him back next year...IDK i had my heart set on some offensive guru. im sick of struggling to put up points and pouring entire draft classes into a defense that inevitably fails. I think I want to go with the Chargers model at this point.

Interim NFL head coach is a hard, sh-tty and frequently thankless job. You're asked to lead a team full of players you didn't draft / sign / trade for using schemes you didn't choose with the assistance of a staff you didn't hire.

Wilks did an overall admirable job in that role.

Not a good enough one to make him permanent sadly, but it definitely shouldn't be forgotten just how much of an uphill climb this always was.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 7

10 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Say he was a dude from Tallahassee and came in as interim coach for Rhule's incompetent ass. The team played .500 ball with him as interim HC, would you really want him returning?

Take the emotion and narrative out of the equation. What has he done EXCEPTIONALLY well since taking over? Other than being a professional football coach, I don't really see anything otherworldly.

Retaining Wilks, to me, is a return to the status quo of Fox/Rivera, not an overall improvement to where we were 3 years ago. Keeping Wilks on after firing Rhule feels like getting back together with your long term girlfriend after originally dumping her for some hot little college biddy who it turns out you have nothing in common with so you dump her and choose to fall back into familiarity while neglecting all the reasons you broke up in the first place.

It's familiar, it's comfortable, and you know what to expect, but deep down you know it's not going to last.

I like Wilks and I appreciate him stepping in and coaching like a professional HC, something we've lacked the past 2.5 years, but I don't think he's the long term answer. I would prefer we rip the band-aid off and start over. Draft a new QB in the first, pair him with an offensive minded HC that he can grow with and learn from, and go from there.

Thank god someone else said this. Been saying it forever. If wilks was from Topeka, Kansas he never would be in this position let alone have this ridiculous group of support.

Yes, the head coaches responsibility is to oversee the coordinators as they guide their different areas of the team for the game day plan. He doesn’t call individual plays, and usually what he has control of, as anyone that’s on here should know is in game management and the overall morale of the players. Before Steve was made, the interim head coach I thought that he was getting a poo deal It didn’t seem fair that someone that has the ability to be a head coach would get their second opportunity with a terrible team. What he has done with the said poo team, in my opinion, is worthy of admiration. If I were the one making decisions, then after the interviews I would offer Steve a four year deal that would be contingent on his proposed solution on how he would improve the areas where they currently struggle.

Edited by Monrowed
  • Pie 2

Wilk's Charlotte ties are great!  Man, they make a fantastic story!  Wilks tried to make chicken salad after the festering rot of Rhule's poo.  That's a lot of good work.  I think Wilks is a really good coach, and we could absolutely do worse, because it's happening right now.

Now what does this mean for his future?  I have no clue.  In the interviews, he's going to have to articulate  a plan to get better that is feasible.  How does he improve the offensive production?  How do we get better on defense?  How would he handle a rookie QB?  Who will he use as OC?  Does Ben come back?

There are a lot of hot and sexy choices out there, and we have an owner who isn't afraid to open his checkbook.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens.  If Wilks does become the full time HC, it's really going to take him working with Scott and the others to build the talent he wants.  I won't say "it'll make us instantly better" or "set us back 5 years."  Both are hyperbolic message board nonsense. 

As we've seen with Denver - picking the "next big thing" OC isn't always successful.  Even O'Connell in Minny is having some growing pains after getting shellacked by the Packers.

• Pie 4

My opinion on Wilks didn't change all that much after yesterday. I would still make Wilks the default option, but would take a big name like Payton or Harbaugh over him. Otherwise if your suggestions are someone like Dan Quinn then i definitely want Wilks. 

As for offensive guys, I would be interested in moving in that direction for the first time, but at this point i am tired of hearing "offensive guru" and want to see names named so we can actually do a comparison. 

Sure Wilks doesn't measure up to the mythical offensive guru/next Sean McVay/wunderkind that everyone has in their heads right now. But how does Wilks measure up to the ACTUAL candidates we will have an opportunity to hire? I want more track record than just whatever offensive coordinator was tied to a good offense this season. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Problem is none of those things make a good coach. 
I could care less of a Wilks is a good person or a leader. 
Guy is a terrible in game coach. 

I have to agree and disagree here. I agree the Wilks biggest weakness is he’s not a strategist; he said himself a few years back that his philosophy is not about out scheming anyone, which is similar to the Fox/Rivera ideology. Good enough to beat mediocre or bad teams but susceptible to being out coached by the likes of Mike Tomlin, Bill Belicheck or other well coached teams.

I disagree that leadership, character and the other qualities Scot mentioned are non-factors in being a good coach. In this aspect, he compares favorably to a Mike Tomlin but without the years of experience. May not make Wilks the best coach from a playcalling/strategy perspective as noted above, but the way the team has responded to his leadership over the past month or so proves that those qualities absolutely matter. 

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I don't care where Wilks is from, him being a Rivera coach and clone is what I don't want to see again in my lifetime.

Solid job given the circumstances, good human and meh HC material in the current NFL. I think we can and should try to do better.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hell, how many people on this board are even originally from Charlotte or the Carolinas?

I'm not.

As someone that is, I find it crazy that this board isn’t full of people from NC. It is actually pretty cool to see that there are out of state fans but it also explains some of the distortion and weird frustrations of people who aren’t from here. 

ie. soccer team.