• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harbaugh to Carolina Makes Too Much Sense...

chknwing

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper has stated he won't give a head coach full control again.

If there were any I would at least consider it would be him. If not, perhaps Harbaugh could let go of a little bit of his ego and share that responsibility with a GM. Maybe both sides could bend slightly. I think Harbaugh is a very good coach but he also seems to have a huge ego which might not work well if he did in fact want full control. So i guess we could say good ole' coach Rhule (idiot) gave Tepper some PTSD for future coaches? Was there even one damn positive thing this franchise got from having Rhule? I can't think of one single positive thing as i'm not giving him credit for some of the draft picks that turned out well. He just doesn't seem smart enough to even evaluate talent.

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

But will it happen?   Dun Dun Dunnnn.  The Bucs are fading away.  Brady gonna call it quits soon.  Carolina has more talent than the Saints and Falcons.  Harbaugh could easily build a multiple year NFCS champion with the right QB and coaches.  I doubt he would consider Denver because that division already has super bowl contenders.  All Tepper has to do is write a check.  Good thing that's what he is good at 

Harbaugh is going to the Colts, write it down.  Harbaugh still wants retribution for the 1995 afc championship game with the Steelers where Harbaugh almost completed a Hail Mary to win the game.  Great game I still remember.

3 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

LIf not, perhaps Harbaugh could let go of a little bit of his ego

Yeah... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that.

As to Tepper, I wouldn't necessarily call it PTSD. I think he's learning from his mistakes.

In his last presser, he basically admitted that coming in and thinking he could just do everything differently and change the league was a huge mistake and that in the future he would probably do things more like they've typically been done.

• Pie 3

28 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Chiefs situation is likely a bit more unique/complicated than that article (and Veach himself) suggests.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/05/12/andy-reid-final-control-53-man-roster-john-dorsey-chiefs/

Reid was reported to have final say before Veach was promoted to GM, and it's well known he had it in Philly. Did he really give it up to give it to Veach or is it a "in reality this will never become an issue because these 2 guys work so well together?" My guess is the latter but who knows.

Edited by t96
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

San Francisco’s Total Offense Rankings During Harbaugh’s Tenure

2011 - 26th

2012 - 11th

2013 - 24th

2014 - 20th

So what exactly are you getting with Harbaugh? An offensive coach that can’t… coach offense?

This is extremely misleading.  

First off, you are ranking them by solely yards... which is weird.  They had an elite defense during his years there, so they didn't need to put up a lot of yards.  Why are you holding that against them?  They were an extremely efficient offense when Harbaugh as coach.  

Between 2011-2013, they finished 11th in scoring each year, which is good when you consider again they had an elite defense.  They didn't need to get into shootouts.  

2011 was the first year Harbaugh was there, so it makes sense the offense wasn't as good as it would be in the following years.  Still, he revitalized Alex Smith's career.  Remember what the opinion of Alex Smith was before Harbaugh arrived?  A huge bust.  Look at Smith's numbers before Harbaugh and after Harbaugh.  They had a top 10 running game and in the first round of the playoffs won a shootout against the Saints.

2012 was great.  I don't know if you remember that team but I do.  Alex Smith was HOT.  13 TDs to 5 INTs and over a 100 QB rating.  They looked even better than last year.  Then Kaepernick stepped in and he had Kaep looking like a superstar.  He was a monster.  Look at that offenses efficiency that year.  Easily top 5 running game.  Finished 8th in NY/A in the passing game with the fewest interceptions (2nd year in the row this was true, as they finished with the fewest in 2011 too).

2013 again a great efficient offense.  They were 32nd in pass attempts, which is why their yards are low - they didn't need to pass.  But when they did, they were good.  10th in net yards per attempt.  ONCE AGAIN fewest interceptions in the league.  Top 5 running game.

2014 was rough.  Kaep took a step back and teams largely figured him out.  But this happens.  Goff wasn't good with McVay forever and needed a change of scenery.  It happens.  They still had a top 5 run game and avoided turnovers.

Is Harbaugh a Bill Walsh-level mastermind?  Heck no.  But to act like his offenses weren't good is crazy talk.  He won with 2 different QBs in Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick.  Consistently didn't turn the ball over.  Consistently had an efficient passing game.  Consistently had a top 5 run game.  How is that not good?  When's the last time the Panthers had a 3-year stretch where those things were true?

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

But will it happen?   Dun Dun Dunnnn.  The Bucs are fading away.  Brady gonna call it quits soon.  Carolina has more talent than the Saints and Falcons.  Harbaugh could easily build a multiple year NFCS champion with the right QB and coaches.  I doubt he would consider Denver because that division already has super bowl contenders.  All Tepper has to do is write a check.  Good thing that's what he is good at 

i'll save everyone time. It won't. He will coach the Colts and Irsay will break the bank.

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

The Chiefs situation is likely a bit more unique/complicated than that article (and Veach himself) suggests.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/05/12/andy-reid-final-control-53-man-roster-john-dorsey-chiefs/

Reid was reported to have final say before Veach was promoted to GM, and it's well known he had it in Philly. Did he really give it up to give it to Veach or is it a "in reality this will never become an issue because these 2 guys work so well together?" My guess is the latter but who knows.

A report from Fansided doesn't exactly carry as much weight as a statement from Veach himself, or these from Reid himself.

Someone else (forget who) asked him a personnel question just a few months ago and he gave the same response.

• Beer 1

Harbaugh also has a lot of respect in and outside of the NFL.  You know what that means?  He brings the best, most respected assistant coaches with him too.  

49ers had Greg Roman (I know he isn't perfect, but far better than any Panthers OC that I can remember) and Vic Fangio while he was there.  They also had Ejiro Evero (a potential HC candidate one day), Ed Donatell, Mike Solari, and Mike Lombardi.  That is a strong staff.  Heck even Jim Tomsula was a good DL coach.  

This is a reason you bring in a guy like Harbaugh.  Because he brings great guys with him.  

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

A report from Fansided doesn't exactly carry as much weight as a statement from Veach himself, or these from Reid himself.

Someone else (forget who) asked him a personnel question just a few months ago and he gave the same response.

Honestly, Andy Reid does strike me as a guy who doesn't really give a crap who he's working with.  He is just focused on coaching.  So I do believe him when he says he doesn't deal with most personnel issues.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think you can just take at face value the word of people involved though. Matt Rhule himself said he didn't have full roster control when it was quite obvious that he did.

• Pie 1

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

I don't think you can just take at face value the word of people involved though. Matt Rhule himself said he didn't have full roster control when it was quite obvious that he did.

I don't think you could take anything Matt Rhule said post firing at face value because he was a lying sack of sh-t trying to save face.

Reid and Veach have consistently said the same things and don't really have any reason to lie.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, Mage said:

This is extremely misleading.  

First off, you are ranking them by solely yards... which is weird.  They had an elite defense during his years there, so they didn't need to put up a lot of yards.  Why are you holding that against them?  They were an extremely efficient offense when Harbaugh as coach.  

Between 2011-2013, they finished 11th in scoring each year, which is good when you consider again they had an elite defense.  They didn't need to get into shootouts.  

2011 was the first year Harbaugh was there, so it makes sense the offense wasn't as good as it would be in the following years.  Still, he revitalized Alex Smith's career.  Remember what the opinion of Alex Smith was before Harbaugh arrived?  A huge bust.  Look at Smith's numbers before Harbaugh and after Harbaugh.  They had a top 10 running game and in the first round of the playoffs won a shootout against the Saints.

2012 was great.  I don't know if you remember that team but I do.  Alex Smith was HOT.  13 TDs to 5 INTs and over a 100 QB rating.  They looked even better than last year.  Then Kaepernick stepped in and he had Kaep looking like a superstar.  He was a monster.  Look at that offenses efficiency that year.  Easily top 5 running game.  Finished 8th in NY/A in the passing game with the fewest interceptions (2nd year in the row this was true, as they finished with the fewest in 2011 too).

2013 again a great efficient offense.  They were 32nd in pass attempts, which is why their yards are low - they didn't need to pass.  But when they did, they were good.  10th in net yards per attempt.  ONCE AGAIN fewest interceptions in the league.  Top 5 running game.

2014 was rough.  Kaep took a step back and teams largely figured him out.  But this happens.  Goff wasn't good with McVay forever and needed a change of scenery.  It happens.  They still had a top 5 run game and avoided turnovers.

Is Harbaugh a Bill Walsh-level mastermind?  Heck no.  But to act like his offenses weren't good is crazy talk.  He won with 2 different QBs in Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick.  Consistently didn't turn the ball over.  Consistently had an efficient passing game.  Consistently had a top 5 run game.  How is that not good?  When's the last time the Panthers had a 3-year stretch where those things were true?

I’ve complimented Harbaugh’s ability to field a good defense in another post, specifically stating that he turned Michigan into a defensive powerhouse.

Nonetheless, having an elite defense doesn’t take away from the fact that the offenses were average in terms of the sheer ability to move the ball consistently. Total yards is a good indicator of a functional offense because it shows the ability to move the ball. Scoring offense could easily indicate that your defense sets up your offense and without a good defense your offense doesn’t succeed. If your defense forces a bunch of three and outs and turnovers then you obviously aren’t going to have to move the ball as far to get into scoring range. All things considered, I’d feel much better if the 49ers were consistently in the top 10 in scorning offense during Harbaugh’s tenure.

Additionally, I’m not too inclined to bring in an offensive coach that focuses so much on the run which Harbaugh has continued to do even at Michigan, there needs to be some balance in the modern NFL. You can hire a competent DC and get the same results while having a better offense.

As I mentioned, Rapoport reported that a lot of the dysfunction at the end of Harbaugh’s tenure had to do with the lackluster performance of the 49ers offense and while I’d love a three year stretch where the Panthers are competitive, I want a coach who can adapt, not give us three good years then bolt once he gets figured out.

Edited by MillionDollarCam